“An overall average experience, but view from upper level room was great”

The Lodge at Buckberry Creek
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Overall, I don't think our experience for three days was worth the $652 that we paid, and we will not return.

We stayed in a gallery suite on the top floor of Building 4. Below are the pros and cons about our stay.

Pros:
1. The best part was the great view that we had from our top-floor balcony. It was great.
2. Bed was large and comfortable.
3. Room was clean and housekeeping did a good job refreshing it.
4. Shower was large. Jet tub in bathroom was great.
5. King size bed was comfortable.
6. Kitchenette was adequately equipped.
7. A/C worked well.
8. Bathrobes were comfortable.

Cons:

1. The restaurant staff was very aloof. They made us feel like we were inconveniencing them when we went for the free continental breakfast and also for the "Sundowners." For Sundowners, the Buckberry Inn gives its guests one ticket for each night's stay for which the guests can get one free beer or glass of wine at the inn's restaurant. The person who served us our free drinks made us feel like we were bothering him. He, himself, didn't seem to be fully aware of how the "Sundowners" ticket worked and kept telling us that we needed two tickets.

2. The continental breakfast was such a disappointment. My advice to the kitchen manager is if you cannot offer a decent continental breakfast, you should just discontinue it because you are disappointing and frustrating your guests. The selection for the breakfast is terrible -- mostly carbs with the exception of yogurt. That guests can't serve themselves everything that is included in the continental breakfast (which isn't much, anyway) is ridiculous and is a waste of guests' valuable time. We skipped the continental breakfast on the last day of our visit - - it wasn't worth the lousy selection and aggravation.

Other cons:

1. Room needed a fresh coat of paint - - there were a lot of marks on the walls.
2. The furniture looks worn.
3. Towels in bathroom are thin.
4. The picture on the mantel above the fireplace was missing, so the room looked rather drab.
5. Chair on balcony are uncomfortable - - very hard and do not recline.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about the view. We lucked out and got a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank peachypie16

Reviewed 13 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at Buckberry Lodge on Sunday and Monday night. We defiantly enjoyed our stay. The room was fantastic, we loved the fireplace and full kitchen. We stayed in Building 5 on the first floor and we weren't too disappointed in the view, it was still quite beautiful. I feel that perhaps the cost should have been lower for the building farthest away from the main building and a less than perfect view, had that been the case I do not think we would have cared at all. We also experienced quite a bit of noise from the people on the upper level, I absolutely feel that the noise was beyond "average" noise. I kept us up and woke us up very early.

As far as the kitchen we loved everything we had, though we only had breakfast. The staff was very nice, both at the front desk and at the restaurant. I would agree with some other reviews however that they could have had additional staff at the front desk, we waited nearly 15 mins to return our key and check out while the lady was on the phone.

Overall, the stay was very nice, we will defiantly stay again,only if we are guaranteed a top floor room.

Room Tip: Try and avoid building five (less than perfect view and the distance from the main building) also, n...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gata4554
Reviewed 9 June 2012

My family has stayed here several times since its first week of business. The service and rooms were excellent until this last time, since a change in management this place has taken a turn for the worse. Our rooms were like staying in a musty, damp basement. One morning we woke up to a SNAKE in our tub! We have small children so needless to say they were scared to death and no one slept the next night! After that we didn't hear anything from management, and floored when at check out they didn't even mention the incident! I had to remind them and they refused when I asked for some kind of discount!!! That will be our last stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2012
18  Thank Travelinmomi
BBL37738, Owner at The Lodge at Buckberry Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

As the owner of Buckberry Lodge this is my first response to a TripAdvisor review, negative or positive. Over the past seven years of existence that my brother, our partner, and I have been the ultimate management at the Lodge, we have had very few negative reviews. We welcome all reviews both positive and constructive criticism. The Lodge addresses each review internally to improve our services and personnel standards. This particular review seems to have some erroneous information because my brother and I were both personally involved.

Even though the Lodge borders the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, in seven years we have never had a snake of any size reported in a suite. A snake was found in this guests tub. Upon hearing this, the snake was immediately removed. Addressing the non-response issue-my brother personally authorized a gift certificate for a future stay to be offered at checkout - this was refused as not acceptable. In addition, I personally contacted the guests by their cell phone and left a message with no return.

These particular guests have visited us numerous times over our existence, with and without family members and the Lodge has always catered to their wishes to the best of our ability. Please accept our utmost apology for missing the mark on this visit.

Please understand to all our guests, it is our desire to always try to serve and deliver the highest quality experience possible in the most professional manner.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

What a wonderful night at the lodge at buck berry creek - wish I could've stayed for longer, but will definitely be returning on my next trip to the Gatlinburg area. Great to be away from the chaos of Pigeon Forge, even with a trip up a winding mountain road. Serene and quiet, such a special place - highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

We have had a hard time finding a nice in place to stay in Gatlinburg. With the Lodge at Buckberry Creek, problem solved! This is truly a 4 diamond resort. From the warm greeting upon check in to the spacious and beautifully decorated rooms, this place is amazing. Our room was incredibly decorated and extremely large! We basically had a full kitchen - stove, microwave, and full sized fridge. There was a sitting area and an amazing bathroom -- with a large shower and large jacuzzi tub. If you can drag yourself out of the room, the pavilion area by the creek is a must see- even the "outhouses" have chandeliers. The main lodge is also great -- comfy seating, full bar, friendly staff, and a giant moose head over the fireplace. We also ate at the restaurant which rivaled some of the best restaurants in Asheville, NC. They have an excellent chef! I am ready to book my next trip. It was a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is my 2nd review of this place and sadly I felt things have changed but not in a positive way. The setting still remains beautiful,rooms nice and the staff pleasant enough ( particular thanks to the manager and her husband who organized a really fun Easter Egg hunt for the kids).

The thing that disappointed however, was the restaurant. They are clearly suffering some problems here and if not recified will spoil the reputation of this otherwise great place. On our first night we waited almost 45 minutes for our food, with little apology or acknowledgement of this. The food itself was mediocre and the pork I had, fatty and carelessly prepared. When we got the bill we found that we had been charged an additional fee for splitting a plate between our 2 young children. When we pointed out that 2 separate kids meals would have cost us less that the plate we ordered and shared they removed the charge. Bit shabby!
Breakfast was then another annoyance. On check in we had been told about the continental breakfast being included. On arrival in the restaurant we saw a small table with some tea and coffee and some sorry looking cereal and assumed this must be the offering refered to.
We were seated and shown the menus, with no word about the fact the actual included breakfast was some fruit and pastries which they would bring out if you had that option. It was only after we had ordered al a carte, and had a peer at some of the other tables that we worked that out. Never mind, the pancakes were on their way, so we just decided not to worry. When the food arrived, one set was fine, and my husbands plate totally drenched in powdered sugar. As soon as you put a fork to it, you discovered why. The pancakes were totally burnt. What was especially galling about this was the pathetic attempt to cover it up with sugar and serve it. It demonstrates a huge disrespect for the customer and is inexcusable. It was taken away and replaced when we challenged it, again with scant apology, and it was not taken off the bill either!
I truly loved this place 2 years ago, but the kitchen and front of house must be improved or it will drag it down. A real shame.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank travelmumatlanta
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I decided to spend a one night weekend in the Smokey Mountains. We wanted a hotel that complimented the surrounding area, the traditional log cabin with rustic decor with quality hotel pampering rather than the regular roadside operation for which I have absolutely no critiscm, just not appropriate for this visit.
This hotel is the only one I could find in the entire area that suited our requirements, we did not want to go self catering.
We arrived at 1pm on Friday having driven 4 hours from Nashville to be told our room would not be available until 4pm. This welcome - and I experience it frequently drives me mad - if the room attendants begin cleaning rooms at say 9.00 am and they do because I saw them, are there really no rooms available until 4.00pm or had all the other arrivals done so before me at 1pm.
Anyway the reception and lounge were as the website photos,quite delightful and authentic, we were given a tour of the public areas the view from the surrounding balcony was spectacular over the hills and trees. We were then taken to the front door of the reception building and pointed towards building number 5 just up the hill 200 yards. This hotel comprises 5 buildings with 8 or 10 rooms in each building. We struggled to find our room because the number had been removed from the outer lobby door so we kept walking past it, it would have been nicer had we been escorted.
We had reserved a suite with lounge and balcony this also included a kitchen area. It was lovely all other write ups are accurate so very comfortable, two issues theTV was in the bedroom and not the lounge and our balcony had NO VIEW. The forest was 50 metres away and the trees higher than our room it was horrible and dark. I didn't bother it was only for one night and we were going out for dinner so we weren't going to spend long in the room but had I known I would not have spent the extra for the suite. So watch out if you are allocated building 5.
We decided to take advantage of the view in the main building by having dinner at the hotel on the balcony. The setting was superb, the service very good the wine excellent Nobilo Sav Bl,NZ. The food also was good the delicious bread, the amouse bouche, a little small, Why on earth did I chose Grouper in the middle of Tennessee it was not totally fresh then why was it on the menu? But overall we had a very enjoyable dinner at a leisurely pace which was just right for us both.
We went to bed and the nightmare began the tramping around from the guests above and when they released water from their bathroom it was like we had a waterfall in our room, my wife got up to check for leaks. We woke looking forward to a hearty breakfast, we arrived at the breakfast room the same as the dining room without cloths and had to walk through all the tables to the greeter and seater at the back of the room very odd, the welcome was not enthusiastic by US standards. We sat again on the terrace to take advantage of the view that we had missed in our room.
Breakfast was unpleasant we were offerd 3 options, the standard continental, the full menu from which we could order for an additional $12 and the buffet. The buffet was self service tea or coffee and 2 cereals for which we opted along with the continental. A main course plate was delivered with a Danish pastry, a muffin, a small pot of yoghurt, a very very thin half slice of melon and pineapple and a one inch triangle of cheese, it was awful and disappointing the first hotel breakfast I have ever experienced without juice. I would not have selected any of the items offered had I had a choice. For the price we paid for the room I would have expected a full choice American breakfast to be included.
We then checked out and went on our way. This hotel is half way between a hotel and self catering the kitchen in the rooms is very well equipped and I guess this is the option other longer stay guests take though this is not reflected in the room price. Total price one night dinner, B & B May 12 $390 for 2 people
Next time we will probably go self catering.

Room Tip: High floor may be above trees, keep away from building 5.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple