“Stay somewhere else ! Don't make same mistake I did to build Choice Hotels points”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Johnson City,TN
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed 4th of July weekend. I was trying to build up more Choice points. I also wanted something close to the hiking trailhead. I picked a dud. I am local within 150 miles & come to the Smokies several times a year. I know a lot of the hotels & motels are not new so I do not expect new, just decent. This one needs some serious renovations & some major maintenance. The telephone in the room did not work properly. Could not dial out even though you had free local calls. When I reported it to front desk, it started working but the people on the other end of the call could not hear me very well & said it was a bad connection. Had to talk very loud for them to understand. Then the light above the bed on the nightstand would not turn off without unplugging the light. Bedspread had worn or dirty spots on them showing that they were either not clean or just worn out. Jets in the whirlpool bath would not come on. Bathtub did not look clean. Was afraid to sit in tub-Looked gross! Could hear doors slamming all hours of night & people running in room next door. Walls were paper thin. Local garbage picked up at 4:15 on sat am & made so much noise. That part was not the hotels fault, but the city's. We were in the Towers section of the hotel & the dumpsters are between the main building & the towers. The parking for the Towers room is very tight as others have mentioned. Was very inconvenient parking. Breakfast was disaster. They advertise hot continental breakfast. We would have been better off to grab a McDonalds biscuit & hit the trail. They had a waffle iron that was malfunctioning. Would not work properly. When I asked the front person about it & explained that everyone was having trouble with the waffle iron, they said "Well it worked fine yesterday. " That was no help. The hot eggs they claimed to have is powdered eggs, Krispy Kreme doughnuts were stale. No where near fresh. Orange juice was not real orange juice. We just wanted a quick breakfast that would give us nourishment before a long hike. That breakfast really was a disaster. They charge more at this hotel because they can say they offer continental breakfast. We would have been better off to stayed somewhere with no breakfast offered , with just a microwave to heat oatmeal. I know some others have given this place good reviews. I believe in telling it like its is. I tried to pick a place that was in my Choice Hotels group. I am also AAA member. I would not recommend this place to anyone. I have also reported my complaints to Choice Hotels so they will evaluate some of their hotels in their brand. I stay at one hotel in the Choice Hotels groups that is excellent. The others are not so good. This is another one that Choice needs to go & inspect. Especially the rooms in the towers. My stay was not cheap. And no, you do not always get what you pay for. There are better places to stay in the area. And some are even the local motels that have been there for a while. I researched before we booked it. The pictures of the hotel on the website do not show the true picture. Not so sure the points are worth staying at such bad places. Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Towers rooms facing the dumpster are terrible & noisy. Ice Machine is only on ground floor near...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JHutchens
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. It is very upsetting to learn of all the issues you encountered while staying with us. We want all of our guest to have an enjoyable experience when they stay with us. None of the issues you described were reported to me and I would like an opportunity to discuss them with you. Feel free to contact me at any time 865-436-7991, we value you as a guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Slaughter, La
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff. The rooms were clean and had no smell. Rooms were spacious. Beds were decent. Rooms are a little in need of some cosmetic care though. Little acoustic on the ceiling is peeling, and the walls could use a fresh coat of paint. The only thing I didn't care for was the parking. Very tight parking and limited. Not really designed for the bigger vehicles.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mrdlschmidt
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
We were very pleased to have you as our guest. Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to know that our front desk staff and housekeeping staff were able to make your stay pleasant. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again.
Middle Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed here for a couple of days in April for a short trip for wife and I. Nice room on fourth floor on street side across from Microtel. Only problem was the garbage truck that empties the dumpster for Microtel makes a lot of noise very early in the morning. Not Econo Lodge's fault. Check in was quick and easy and the staff are very nice. I did notice that the tubs used to be whirlpool jetted tubs but were not functional.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room over the parking garage. These are the quietest rooms if you are not st...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Tngilmer
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It was a pleasure to have you back again as our guest. The staff is very proud of their property and their work shows it. They all want to give you a big thank you for your kind words. We are already looking forward to your third stay with us!
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

The front desk was very helpful and the hotel had everything advertised.... The pool was nice and the location can not better... Everything went well... Nice check In.... I like a hotel that is no hassle... My only complaint is the location of the power outlets... And most hotels have this problem... Need to keep up with today's technology... We plug in everything... WiFi was easy to get on and fast ...

Stayed July 2014
10 Thank Mightymac1
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We were glad to learn that the free Wi-Fi worked well for you. Yes the world is full of electronics and we are working on solving the outlet issues. Thank you guys for being our guest and we look forward to a visit in the future.
Yadkinville, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed for 5 nights during 4th of July. Rooms are clean. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast area is small but good. Hotel is not fancy but is well kept up and close to downtown, We will be back in Gatlinburg next year and have already booked here for next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank terby99
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
I am very happy to learn that you will be staying with us for July 4, 2015. This is such a fun town to to spend July 4th in. Our location is close to the parade route and you can see the fireworks from here also. We all want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did during your stay.Your kind words are very much appreciated. We will see you guys next July!
Portland, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The wife and I met my side of the family in Gatlinburg the weekend of the 4th. We stayed at the Econo Lodge Inn & Suites. We live only about 4 hours away so we have been to Gatlinburg several times. We always stay here and we are never disappointed. We had 2 Suites on pool side. These rooms were huge! Easily slept 6 people in each room. The location is great. It's right behind the space needle and within walking distance to everything. Highly recommended for anyone.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Jon6015
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
We were very pleased to have you and your family share the 4th of July with us! It sure was a pleasure to learn that you guys had an enjoyable stay. The family suites are big enough to easily accommodate large families. I have shared you comments with the rest of the staff and all want to thank you. We are all looking forward to your next visit to give you the same great service!
VA
Reviewed 4 July 2014

You really can't complain about a 2 room suite for $89/night that allows pets and is right by the pool and a block from the Gatlinburg main drag - but the room was dark and musty and the breakfast was adequate but not great. If we go back to Gatlinburg I might try another place - but all in all - fine for the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MCWC
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write this review. We are reviewing the issues that you expressed about your room and breakfast. We want all of our guest to have a pleasant experience while staying with us. Next time you are in town stop in and I will personally assist you with getting the room type that will suit your needs. Again, thank you for your business.