“Great place”

Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Gemert, The Netherlands
“Great place”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Very clean and cosy hotel, just close to all the shops and restaurants.
Visited it 2 weeks ago and really liked it there. For trips to the Smokes it's easy to drive.
The free breakfast was good and the room was small but cosy... try the fresh donuts!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Paul
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We are pleased to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable. We are located just a few blocks from the entrance to The Great Smoky Mountains. The park is just a breathtaking place to visit and feel close to nature. Thank you all for being our guest and we hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Cockroach in bathroom. Had bed bugs in our bed. The only good thing was the pool and the location. Never made the pull out bed when we requested it. When they sprayed for roaches bothered my breathing with the spray ( asthma) was terrible and wasn't worth the money we paid.

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Kerrigan A
West Plains, Missouri
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for just one night back on April 26th of this year. We were passing through and wanted to stay overnight as we always enjoy visits to the Smoky Mountains. We chose this hotel as it was within walking distance of the main drag where most of the shopping and entertainment are located in Gaitlinburg. The walking distance was the main seller for us since that area is almost always very crowded with both walking traffic and cars and parking anywhere near there will cost at least $6.00 or more. We enjoyed visiting the moonshine distilleries and sampling the many varieties of shine so again walking distance to the hotel was a biggie for us. We ate at the Melting Pot which was a great experience. If you have never eaten there be prepared for an Experience in dining which will take about 3 hours or so but so much fun. We also ate at Bubba Gumps. The food was fantastic as was the service and again another great experience. Now for the hotel itself, it was a bit rundown and rooms could stand an update from the 80's but for the price we were satisfied. So much so that we have another trip booked in August with the same hotel for a weekend getaway. Normally we enjoy condos for our trips but when visiting the Smoky Mountains we rarely spend any time in our room. There is a lot to do in the Smoky's between the National Park itself and all the shopping and entertainment in both Gaitlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Don't expect a lot from this hotel but you get what you pay for and I think the rate was fair for the room and again, we enjoyed the convenience of not having to pay for parking and being able to walk to our room after a bit of alcohol from the distilleries.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heatherr20132014
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. We are very pleased to learn that you have booked another stay with us. Our location is very convenient to all the activities in town and only four blocks from the entrance to The Great Smoky Mountains. We are looking forward to your next stay to give you the same great service!
Frederick, Maryland, USA
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We just returned from a two-night stay here, so I looked at other recent reviews along with the photos on the TA website. We did not stay in a room that looked anything like those! We were in the two-story concrete building behind the motel. While not rundown or dirty, this set of rooms has absolutely no street appeal and is definitely bare bones. The motel has several buildings of rooms, so obviously (from the photos), they vary considerably.

Once you climb the concrete stairs with dead cockroaches, though, you'll enter a well air-conditioned hallway with nice carpet. Our room had two queens, a long bureau, a table/desk with chairs, refrig., microwave (no coffee maker), hair dryer, iron and ironing board. The balcony has two chairs, but there's nothing to look at. The furniture and bedding could be updated but the beds are comfortable, and the carpet looks new enough. Room was clean, and since the hotel is a block off the main drag, it is QUIET!! The sink and closet are separated from the toilet and shower/tub by a door and from the beds by a wall but not a door. Only shampoo and soap are provided.

Wifi is terrible, cuts in and out every few moments. The front desk clerk reset the router when we complained, but it made no difference. When it is on, bars go from one to three.

Breakfast is adequate but could really benefit from some fruit!! That seems a fairly standard item to expect. I'd forego the Krispy Kreme donuts for that. Dry cereal, oatmeal packets, one type of bread to toast, waffle maker, scrambled eggs, "juice," and coffee . For the number of rooms in this motel complex, the eating area is tiny and, in fact, part of the small lobby. Four tables seat 4 each. It is very cramped to try to serve yourself any food and to find a seat.

Parking is free, and you have a tag to display. We came and went over two days (Sun/Mon in mid-July) and had no problems getting a spot.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room and test your wifi before unpacking.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flannery52
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
We are pleased that you found your rooms to be clean and comfortable. We do have two separated buildings here as you can see on the internet. One building host single kings and suites. The second building host the two queen rooms which is the one you were located in. We want to thank you for being our guest for those two days and hope you will visit again.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Loved this hotel. Had a very large, clean room in a safe area a couple hundred feet from the main street downtown. Like all Gatlinburg hotels, they were built in the late 70's early 80's and it shows, but as long as you understand that this isnt a "new" hotel you will be very satisfied.

Only issue was with parking...one of the evenings we returned to the hotel from Pigeon Forge fairly late, around 12:15 am. There were no available parking spaces anywhere on the hotel grounds and the street is too narrow to park on. I found this odd since there is only supposed to be one vehicle per room. I did notice that several vehicles parked near our room did not have a tag hanging from the rear view mirror.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Brandon_M83
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed along your kind words to the rest of the staff and we all send you a big thank you. I do apologize for the parking issue that you encountered. We hope this will not stop you from being our guest again. Thank you for your business and being our guest!
Johnson City,TN
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed 4th of July weekend. I was trying to build up more Choice points. I also wanted something close to the hiking trailhead. I picked a dud. I am local within 150 miles & come to the Smokies several times a year. I know a lot of the hotels & motels are not new so I do not expect new, just decent. This one needs some serious renovations & some major maintenance. The telephone in the room did not work properly. Could not dial out even though you had free local calls. When I reported it to front desk, it started working but the people on the other end of the call could not hear me very well & said it was a bad connection. Had to talk very loud for them to understand. Then the light above the bed on the nightstand would not turn off without unplugging the light. Bedspread had worn or dirty spots on them showing that they were either not clean or just worn out. Jets in the whirlpool bath would not come on. Bathtub did not look clean. Was afraid to sit in tub-Looked gross! Could hear doors slamming all hours of night & people running in room next door. Walls were paper thin. Local garbage picked up at 4:15 on sat am & made so much noise. That part was not the hotels fault, but the city's. We were in the Towers section of the hotel & the dumpsters are between the main building & the towers. The parking for the Towers room is very tight as others have mentioned. Was very inconvenient parking. Breakfast was disaster. They advertise hot continental breakfast. We would have been better off to grab a McDonalds biscuit & hit the trail. They had a waffle iron that was malfunctioning. Would not work properly. When I asked the front person about it & explained that everyone was having trouble with the waffle iron, they said "Well it worked fine yesterday. " That was no help. The hot eggs they claimed to have is powdered eggs, Krispy Kreme doughnuts were stale. No where near fresh. Orange juice was not real orange juice. We just wanted a quick breakfast that would give us nourishment before a long hike. That breakfast really was a disaster. They charge more at this hotel because they can say they offer continental breakfast. We would have been better off to stayed somewhere with no breakfast offered , with just a microwave to heat oatmeal. I know some others have given this place good reviews. I believe in telling it like its is. I tried to pick a place that was in my Choice Hotels group. I am also AAA member. I would not recommend this place to anyone. I have also reported my complaints to Choice Hotels so they will evaluate some of their hotels in their brand. I stay at one hotel in the Choice Hotels groups that is excellent. The others are not so good. This is another one that Choice needs to go & inspect. Especially the rooms in the towers. My stay was not cheap. And no, you do not always get what you pay for. There are better places to stay in the area. And some are even the local motels that have been there for a while. I researched before we booked it. The pictures of the hotel on the website do not show the true picture. Not so sure the points are worth staying at such bad places. Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Towers rooms facing the dumpster are terrible & noisy. Ice Machine is only on ground floor near...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JHutchens
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. It is very upsetting to learn of all the issues you encountered while staying with us. We want all of our guest to have an enjoyable experience when they stay with us. None of the issues you described were reported to me and I would like an opportunity to discuss them with you. Feel free to contact me at any time 865-436-7991, we value you as a guest.
Slaughter, La
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff. The rooms were clean and had no smell. Rooms were spacious. Beds were decent. Rooms are a little in need of some cosmetic care though. Little acoustic on the ceiling is peeling, and the walls could use a fresh coat of paint. The only thing I didn't care for was the parking. Very tight parking and limited. Not really designed for the bigger vehicles.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mrdlschmidt
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
We were very pleased to have you as our guest. Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to know that our front desk staff and housekeeping staff were able to make your stay pleasant. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again.