“A misleading dirty place!”

Economy Inn & Suites
Ranked #50 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Crestview Florida
“A misleading dirty place!”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I made my reservations by phone. Obviously the pictures were taken at a distance to be purposefullly misleading. I ask the person who took my reservation if this was a "nice, clean" hotel. I was assured it was. I was also led to believe it was by the Aquarium. It is actually 2 blocks down and across the Parkway from the Aquarium. When we arrived I just sat in shocked disbelief at the run down, shoddy appearance of the "nice, clean" place I was expecting. I let it be know that this was not what I was expecting and was told that I my credit card would be charged whether I stayed or not. Others were checking in and leaving without staying as well. The management refused to refund anyone even though the rooms were not what was promised. I was put in a smoking room with pet hair on the floor even though I had reserved a non-smoking room.There was a broken down car in the lot that had been there so long that animals were living under it. I tried to connect to the promised "wifi" to find another hotel only to find it wouldn't connect either. The "kitchenette" was a BAD JOKE, the bed was nailed together and the toliet wobbled for starters. Needless to say I was afraid to crawl between the sheets so I left and stayed in a MUCH NICER place for less money. The mangement was rude and fully aware that they were misrepresenting this hotel online. DO NOT STAY AT SCOTTISH INN .....unless you enjoy peeling paint and pet hair!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
indiana
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Found online. pictures showed an average "motel" . when we arrived the place looked very run down. when we got to the room it was large but very outdated. room was not very clean, or so it appeared. the beds were not comfortable and the linen looked as if it had been on the bed for awhile. my wife did not even sleep under the covers. im glad we only needed to stay one night. one of our family members in another room said the bathroom door had 3 large holes in it and no hot water. when we tried to take a shower the curtain and rod fell off the wall when i tried to close it. atleast the air worked. i am not real picky but for 86 dollars i do expect a room to smell clean and have fresh linen on the bed. would tell anyone who asked dont waste your money.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank s_indiana_traveler

Travellers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

Atlanta
Reviewed 20 December 2007

We drove up to the hotel and were terribly concerned about the appearance of the property. The roof was in bad condition with curling shingles, and there was a foam rubber cushion on the roof.

My wife and I looked at each other and decided we could not imagine what the rooms must look like. We chose to forfeit over $100 rather than actually go in the place.

We went to another property close by that was very attractive, had a great room, and it was cheaper that the Scottish Inn.

The Inn is in really sad shape and there were several attractive hotels in the area with lower rates. This place is not a bargain at any price.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Run down
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AtlantaGrayFox
Ohio
Reviewed 18 July 2007

VERY VERY poor room cleanliness in both shower, bedroom and kitchenette. Good location. WOuld not recommend.

• Stayed May 2007
8 Thank Temp989
Clarksville, TN
Reviewed 10 April 2007

I booked this hotel online because the reviews on here were average and the price was great. On the way to Gatlinburg we decided to plurge a little and get a room with a jacuzzi if if was avalible, when we got there right away we were a bit turned off by the apperance of the hotel but that can be overlooked because we aren't extremely picky people. We got the jacuzzi suite and payed the extra money. When we got in the room it was horrible. concrete brick walls just painted over, the room was just dirty, the carpet had lint and dirt on it like it had not be vacuumed. The tub had rust spots on it and the bottom of it had mildew stains. There was a electric cord running up beside the tub to a light switch with open wiring. Just looked unsafe. The toliet seat had dried urine on it and obviously had not been cleaned very well after the last stay. My husband went back to the office and told the clerk that the room was not acceptable so she showed him another one that was much better. By the time we had gathered our stuff back up to go to the new room we were met by a man (I'm guessing the owner) who immediently started yelling in broken english that the room was not ready and we had to wait. It was very hard to understand him so when my husband would ask him to clarify he just started being rude and yelling louder at us. We went back into the office and the clerk explained there was a problem with the heat and he needed to work on it. At that point we were done dealing with them, because the guy was still yelling and being very rude and we were just trying to check in so we could start our vacation. We ended up asking for a refund and going to another hotel and just eating the $55 we had to pay since we cancelled that day. It was a horrible experience and when we went to the hotel next door to ask about rates the clerk in there said they get a lot of people in there that had problems with this hotel and he didn't blame us for not staying. We ended up going to the Sleep Inn and had wonderful service and a very nice clean room for the same price.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank HeatherH22
athens tn
Reviewed 15 March 2007

This is a good motel for people who are looking to be thrify and want a nice clean quiet room at a low price. Besides, this is Gatlinburg, like a cruise ship who cares who has the best room, get out and enjoy! This is not a good hotel for someone who is looking for a room that offers brand spanking new updated top of the line rooms. The owner(s) of the hotel "DJ" was very nice. The hotel, like many of its kind gently shows its age. It looks like it was updated around the year 2000. Located just 2 blocks off of light # 6 in downtown Gatlinburg, at first the Scottish Inn is a little hard to see/find. Location is one of this motel's good points as it is located within a 6 minute luxury walk along a beautiful creek from the aquarium. It is also very close to the Gatlinburg library.It offers rooms on 3 floors. Smoking and non smoking rooms are offered. We asked for a non smoking room, but to get a lower price we were put in a smoking room that smelled like smoke. The front door deadlock would not lock, the bathroom door would not close all the way and the bathroom sink had a small leak. The bathroom sink cold and hot were backwards, and it took a while for the hot water to reach the room.The shower was awesome, with a nice showerhead , once the hot water finally got there the shower was to die for. The tv was nice and offered many channels. The mattress was a Serta, but it was well warn and in need to replacing. The room was clean, it could have used a little fixin up but it was far from being in run down condition and was fairly spacy with a nice closet with hangers.
A big plus was the mini frige and microwave. No coffeemaker, I am not a coffee drinker but the front desk might offer coffee?
You get what you pay for and this is not the hilton, but hey, with as much as everything in Gatlinburg costs if being thrifty on your hotel room is for you, this is a good place to come.
Michael

• Liked — price, location
  • Disliked — maintinance, decor
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank tennesseetrumpet
Middle Tennessee
Reviewed 17 December 2006

I reserved 3 rooms for our group on about 2 weeks notice with no problem. I kindof had some doubts about something at that low price, but options were low at that point. And I can be ultra-cheap.

We were there from Friday to Sunday. The hotel just had a few guests.

Check-in was fast and courteous. The room I stayed in was very clean. The beds were comfy. The bathroom was fine but a little bit small. Everything in the rooms worked. Plenty of hot water and enough pressure. They have a REAL ice machine instead of the little bucket-filler things. This is an older but maintained and clean property.

I love the location, just 3 or 4 minutes walk from the Aquarium, but on the opposite side of the Gatlinburg strip. The streets on either side of the hotel weren't busy. I didn't see any cause for concern with the general area.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — I just have to accept that it's an older property. But there were no real problems with it.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be afraid, if you like a cheap, clean room and not much else.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends