“Location & atmosphere bumped this to a 4 rating”
Review of Johnson's Inn

Johnson's Inn
Ranked #39 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We recently stayed at Johnson's Inn in Gatlinburg. We were creekside on the end, facing the street. The room was clean but definitely rough around the edges. The laminate floor at the entry was coming up at the seams, walls above the shower and other places need sanding/puttying to fix dents and bumps (not just another coat of paint), outlet plate covers didn't fit well because the holes are too big in places, bathroom sink had no drain cover or stopper. I was afraid we would drop jewelry or something else in the sink and lose it. On the plus side, there was a microwave, frig and sink in the kitchenette and the bed was very comfortable (not hard as a rock). But the best part was the balcony facing the creek. It was well shaded with crepe myrtle and other trees. Very pleasant to sit and listen to the creek, people watch those on the sidewalk or read. Even had a squirrel entertain us in the crepe myrtle within 3 or 4 ft of us. The ac unit was on the balcony but even that didn't bother us. We could have cut it off while sitting outside. The location, a block or two from mainstreet, is great and is near the Pancake Pantry (our favorite breakfast eatery for 30+ years), the Village, the Aquarium, and Jose's Cantina. Desk clerk was very friendly. We did not have maids clean our room by choice, so can't comment on that. Johnson's Inn is not our usual place to stay but that end room made for a pleasant stay in a pinch.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Literally a block from The Village - the best part about the Inn. We stayed just one evening. It was decent - we got a really good deal through Hotwire. The room wasn't that clean. The top comforter had not been washed, there was dust in the bathroom and a soda cap on the floor. We didn't book the room for amenities, although we did use the pool and free wifi. We were not in the room long, as we like to be out and enjoy the sights. The associates at the counter were very pleasant and accommodating both times I called prior to our visit and when we arrived. We would definitely stay again for location alone.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jenn914
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

At light 6 down about a block. When we walked to town I thought it would take longer but you go in the entrance to the village and you are right on the strip. Pool is small only 4.5 foot but we enjoyed it all to ourselves. It was clean. The room was your average motel with two beds. They were very comfortable and clean. Nice HOT shower with adequate towels and was cloths. Older t.v but we weren't there to watch t.v. The refrigerator was in the bathroom area which is weird but it worked. Overall probably the best Gatlinburg location we've ever had. We would stay again. Just wish it had been a little less $.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank TScrogham
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Other than the rooms needing some updating, the entire stay and experience was awesome. The staff was more than accomdating and pleasant. Room was very clean and cool when we arrived. I will be staying here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel was nice. I picked this location because It was close to downtown from what I was reading from the other reviews. I also booked this Inn because it showed it had a laundry room. Well come to find out they no longer have the laundry room. I was disappointed because that was the main reason I booked this place. The room was huge and I loved that. The toilet in our room kept running and that was annoying and there were ants all over the counter. The staff was friendly. We had to leave a day early and they allowed us to get our money back for that day. The stay was pleasant but I think I may try somewhere else next time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Very soft bed with great location to the shops and entertainment. Walked all over town and sampled the amazing heritage of the town of Gatlinburg. Spent the night in a King size ultra plus bed. Got some great momentous and we return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I visited Gatlinburg for the first time after a three days of backpacking in the Smoky Mountains. We booked ahead of time at Johnson's Inn and I chose this location because of three things: good price, good location, and available washer/dryer. First, the price was great. We also got a discount using AAA for some extra savings. The room was basic and somewhat outdated, but it was clean (other than a little staining in the shower/tub) and the bed was comfortable. The A/C and WiFi worked well. The staff were very friendly. Second, the location was hard to beat, a block from The Village, right off the Parkway (which made it a little more quiet), and a short walk from the aquarium, it was a great spot. The washer/dryer availability, however, is another story. That was very important to us since we had just spent three solid days of backpacking and our clothes were in desperate need of laundering. We found out, however, that the washer/dryer was out of service and was being replaced. Our only option was to take the trolly to the other side of town and wash our clothes at a laundry facility. We attempted to do this, but after a bunch of problems that I won't get into, we weren't able to wash our clothes there and had to resort buying a box of laundry soap and washing our clothes in the tub back in our room and hung them up to dry on the balcony and in the room. We made it work but it definitely was frustrating and took up our whole morning dealing with the issue. I wasn't mad that the washer was out of service; things happen. What frustrated me was that we didn't see anything on their website mentioning it and I might have changed my reservation to another hotel that had a working washer/dryer available had we known, because it was an important amenity to us.
Overall, it was a decent place to stay, especially because of the location and price, but I will be sure to check beforehand (no matter where we stay) to make sure the important amenities are available for use.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple