“Great Locations, Great Value”
Review of Johnson's Inn

Johnson's Inn
Ranked #42 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
North Carolina
“Great Locations, Great Value”
Reviewed 10 March 2009

My husband and I very recently stayed at Johnson's Inn for an extended weekend in Gatlinburg. I was wary at first, I had gotten quite a deal on the room (45$ per night) and I've traveled enough to know, you get what you pay for. But we were very pleasantly surprised!
Location - perfect. IF you are wanting a place downtown. It took us 5 minutes to walk to the Village and the pancake pantry in the morning. It was safe, and well lit at night. It did not have creek views, although the front of the hotel was by the creek. It did look like there were 2 rooms where you could get balconies facing the creek, but they were also facing the road.
Cleanliness - another good factor. I'm the type that brings a small stash of cleaning supplies and wipes things down before using a hotel room. I did my routine, but was not finding dirt or ickiness on my cleaning rags. It was Great! The only complaint I have in this department was that there was a razor and soap left above the shower ledge by a previous guest. If it had been a high season and the rooms were turned over quickly, I could see this getting overlooked. But my eyes were immmediately drawn to it when I walked into the bath room. I will say one afternoon my husband and I left for a while and came back about 3 hours later. and the cleaning lady was still working on the same two rooms as she was when we left, (that were the balcony next to ours) So either those people left quite a mess, or they are more thorough than I give most hotels credit for.
The staff was very friendly, check-in/out was a breeze. One reviewer mentioned the dark rooms. They are dimly lit, but I don't consider this a reason to lower the review, I enjoyed it, they use several lamps to light the rooms instead of overhead lighting. And the lamps are nice with a smokey mountain bear theme, this is to their credit I think. We also had a private balcony, with a view of the parking lot, but it was nice, the chairs were clean and sturdy, and it looked like ajoining rooms could share a balcony.
We had a king standard, lots of walking around space, plenty of mirror space. A nice chair a table set. The alarm clock didn't work, and oddly enough it was plugged in anyways, but no time would light up. We did not test the coffee maker. The heating/cooling system worked really well and was quiet. There was a standard sized TV, and a VCR. You could get VHS tapes from the lobby, it looked like quite a selection.
Would defintely reccomend!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NCandaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Miami
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Great location. This hotel was very clean. The morning breakfast is amazing. I've never seen an automatic fireplace and we had one in the room that could be seen from the jacuzzi on one side and the bed on the other. I highly recommend it. I don't usually take the time to fill out these reviews but I will tell you it was a great hotel. Centrally located. We walked to the Ripley's Aquarium.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Angel0321
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 6 November 2008

Hotel itself is very nice for Gatlinburg standards (keep in mind that you can't exactly find a five diamond hotel in the city). Its location is also great - you can walk to pretty much anywhere on the strip from the hotel (I strongly recommend the Pancake Pantry for breakfast, which is less than a five minute walk away). I've stayed here at least five times in the past ten years, and I've never had a problem. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2004, travelled as a couple
1 Thank linuscaldwell
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 September 2008

I've been a long time 'reader' of TripAdvisor, but, have contributed very little. I thought it was high time I repaid all the good advice I’ve gotten with a review of the Johnson’s Inn. My wife and I visit Gatlinburg several times a year and we always stay here. We typically book one of the creek side rooms that overlook the small creek. The room has always been clean and everything worked as expected. I would tell folks, if they’re looking for a nice, clean room with plenty of space and close to the parkway, choose the Johnson’s Inn. If they’re looking for freshly remodeled rooms with all the latest appliances/fixtures, look somewhere else. While the décor of the rooms is a little dated, it suites my family perfectly. We particularly enjoy the fact that the Donut Friar is just a short walk down the street!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JPPMP
TN
Reviewed 26 August 2008

My son and I stay here every summer for a few days. It's so convenient to walk thru The Village to the main strip. Every one that works there is so friendly. My son cut his finger badly in a shop on the strip.In conversation we mentioned this to a maid. My family came back to Gatlinburg in August for a few days,the maid recognized us right away and asked how his finger was doing. This kind of concern and eagerness to make your visit pleasant is why we like to stay here! We checked a nicer looking motel in Pigeon Forge and booked it before we saw the room.The room and furniture were very dirty and to be honest IT STUNK!!!!! We only needed it for the night,and ONLY because The Johnson's Inn office was closed because it was late.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank foxysilvermom
Canton, GA
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We did our research on the internet, but did not book any hotel. Instead we drove to Gatlinburg from Atlanta with some hotels in mind. They needed to have a decent set of reviews and an affordable price.

We also saw that Johnson's Inn was in the top 10 at some Internet magazine called Inside Gatlinburg. On the Johnson's Inn website they had a special for August for $59 for a double standard.

We reviewed a few other hotels over the internet as well, like the Fairfield Marriot Downtown etc.

When we arrived we went straight to Johnson's Inn and asked to see the rooms. We looked, the carpet appeared clean, the beds looked clean (looked at the mattresses they were clean). The bath was shiny and clean, so was the toilet.

We were happy to take it for the price.

All we needed was a clean place to sleep at night and this little (a bit older) place was just right for our budget.

Believe us, we looked at quite a few places over the internet before our mini-vacation. This price was good on Friday and Sat, unlike some other hotels which only give you a deal Sun to Thur. The staff was friendly enough. We will use this hotel again when we return to Gatlinburg.

The fact that I took the time to come back to this site and write a good review, tells that our family was very satisfied with the accommodations.

• Liked — Cleanliness for the Price
  • Disliked — Pool was a cloudy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Afar31
new orleans
Reviewed 26 July 2008

The hotel room was wonderful. It was large, clean and in excellent condition. The location is great. We have been coming to Gatlinburg for the past 30 every summer and always stay at Johnson's Inn. We just got back yesterday and we are looking forward to next summer. The room rates are also very good.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family