“Third try was...better”

Smoky Mountain Cabins
Ranked #72 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
“Third try was...better”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Booked a cabin went to unpack & settle in it only to find that it smelt like an old lady's house, cat fur all over the furniture & pool table, tub was so dirty and toilet smelt horrible. Called the main office... very friendly offered us another cabin..went to check into it only to find it was almost exactly the same. Went by the main office to get a refund and find somewhere else only to find that they will not do that. Referred us to yet another cabin. Must say it was cleaner than the last two...but still not what we were planning for. Very dusty, felt not clean enough, bathroom floor had a slope in it and we killed a roach right by the bed. View was awesome though. We tried to stay out of the cabin so that our vacation wouldn't be ruined. Will definatly pay a little more next time not worth the hassle.

• Stayed February 2012
12 Thank bryboys

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Let me start to say I'm not unreasonable and I gave them 2-stars because they did "try".

You can tell by the stars that this is a negative review. To make it short, we saw some other cabins near these that looked nicer.

Summary: No cable in unit, no internet, no phone, sink did not drain properly, missing lights, no additional linens, remote batteries dead, and apparently no tickets were made on issues (except cable) hence the reason problems were not fixed. We made several phone calls and to their credit, they returned all of them. They also provided compensation for cable and water. We left early and even the employee at checkout and the manager, Ashley, said they would have done the same thing.

Long Story: My family and I checked in and found there was no cable. In fact, the wires were everywhere and I had to reconnect them. No internet, no phone. We reported it and did not receive a reply until the next day. At which time, we were told it was fixed. We called back when it was not AND was told that the cabin NEVER had cable. To their credit, after much fussing, they offered compensation and to move us to a cabin across town with lesser views but we would not be able to move. For those with kids and vacation plans, imagine the headache of uprooting 3 kids in the middle of day (cabin is not available until after 12pm) and moving them across town. Basically ruins a full day. We reported other concerns but they were never fixed (or logged).

To add insult to injury, that night, the water goes out. We called front desk, e at mergency/night line, etc. No response. We go to the clubhouse9:00am (supposed to open) and no one was there until 0920 (person dropping off paperwork but knew why water was out (well went dry).

At 1300, after speaking to another manager (Matt), we were told they would reimburse us for that night. Water was still out when we checked out (two nights early). We handed employee a list of "To-do's" and grievances but manager never received it. Manager said she never got it. We were told manager would call us back.

Four days later, I call. Ashley said there were no tickets for items I reported. She never received my list. She also said I would not receive a refund for nights that we did not stay.

Summary: So, to be fair, they did try to rectify some issues. I think it's totally reasonable to leave at this point with so many things going wrong and three small children. The employees also agreed that they would have too. I do not think it's unreasonable to request a refund for a cabin lacking internet, cable, phone, AND WATER. The water is well water and NOT municipal water.

The manager claims this rarely happens. I think a true measure of a company and their customer service is how they happen situations that rarely happen.

On a side note: They never explained why the water was out other than "maybe someone left the faucet on too long". I can tell you, that with that many cabins, they should have had much better reserve capacity than that (to regulations, a faucet would drain at full pressure about 4000 gallons of water in 24 hours). It surprises me there were no level alarms, float valves, or someone checking gauges.

Room Tip: I would personally face-to-face report problems if you decide to stay here. Make sure they give you...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank EricDayton
Fremont, Ohio
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Amazing Views of the Smokies - BEWARE!!!!
We just returned home from our 3 night stay in Gatlinburg…a vacation we have been looking forward to for over a month. I have to tell you, it was a disappointment because of the condo we had to settle for instead of the cabin we had reserved.
I made the reservation over the phone and when I received the confirmation via e-mail, I noticed that it was not the cabin we needed (1 BR vs 2, etc). I e-mailed and they fixed the error and e-mailed me a new confirmation. That's the one I signed and mailed back to them. This all took place over 3 days.
When we arrived at the rental office, they had the original reservation for the too small cabin and the one we wanted was no longer available. After 1 1/2 hours in the rental office, we a condo because it was the only thing we could fit in that also had a pool.
When we arrived at the condo, it was smaller than what we had expected, the sliding glass door was broken, one closet door was busted with a replacement leaning in its place and the disposal did not work.
We were led to believe that there would be some financial recompense for the inconvenience. We were in fact charged less than the balance of our original remaining balance. Despite what we saw as a downgrade in accommodations (though we were told by the manager that this was an upgrade for what we had reserved), we kept telling ourselves that we were at least getting a deal for the mess-up….so, it wasn’t so bad. We were crammed together, my daughter had to sleep on the sofa for three nights and we had to drive over 5 miles up and down the mountain every time we wanted to go anywhere. But we were getting a deal right?
Now, I return home and check to see what kind of deal we really did get. Imagine my surprise when I see that we paid the exact same price for the Indian Path condo as anyone would have paid. $79/night is what we were charged and according to your site $79 is the peak rate for this condo. For all our troubles, we got to pay the exact same rate as anyone else.
UGH!!!!