“Dissapointed”

Ranked #73 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We rented the Legacy Mansion for our large family reunion for July 6-11. I must say that we had a great time, but this was because of the company and not the accommodations. We rented the Legacy Mansion which did provide a great view. The problem was with the cleanliness and maintenance of the cabin. There were several dead bugs on the floor and furniture (stopped counting at 30) along with numerous live ones, the big screen in the theater room didn't work, several bedroom TV's didn't work and a few didn't have cable connection, the AC didn't work on the third floor, two ceiling leaks, no light on the ceiling fan on the main floor or lamps, nail pops on the decks, broken windows and this is just to name a few. We called for maintenance to come at 5:00 to address the issues. We were told they would be there within 2 hours. They showed up at midnight. Really, people were sleeping. On the third day, I was able to flag down their trash pick-up employee to get our trash. Yes, 50 people generate lots of trash and yes, we filled up his truck.

The pool area could use some attention too. Weeds growing through the concrete, fountain not working plus a lack of signs showing how to get to the cabins, club house and exit.

On the plus side, the cabin was roomy for 50 people, big kitchen with 2 refrigerators, stoves, microwaves & dish washers. Lots of utensils, dinner ware, glasses & cups. Also, plenty of hot water for showers.

With all of the problems we encountered, they reluctantly agreed to refund 2 nights ($2,000) which was fair for both parties. This place has a lot of potential if the management team paid more attention to detail. A little "lipstick & mascara" and this would be a show place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank RWB85

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at the 7 bedroom big sky lodge rented through cabin of smokys. It is a nice cabin but could have been better. We had a problem with bugs..ewwww and the mattresses were the worst. The family still enjoyed the vacation..but i would suggest another rental cabin...also we have used timber tops and other companies in the past... timber Tops cabins are by far the best maintained...if you re going to pay this kind of money..the cabin should be luxury in every sense...i dont believe the owners have the money to maintain te cabin as it should be...so with that being said..if you do deide to stay at this cabin...ask if they havereplaced the mattresses, the movie projector downstairs and have they called the Orkin man

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Simsfam2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice cabin. Great location just as pictured on web site. Reserved online checked right into cabin. Hot tub was nice liked the half covered deck to star gaze at nite. Had kitchen to cook and a grill. Very happy with my time spent there.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank lauagreenbud
Pensacola, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

We booked a cabin about 15 months ago and had to cancel at the last minute due to family emergency. THe policy was that if the cabin rebooked they would hold our money in escrow. I called back in a few weeks and indeed the cabin was rented. Today, I called to book a new stay and they are telling me now that the original cabin rented 15 months ago was in fact not booked so our $285 of escrow money was lost :-(

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Kenneth L
Hazard, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

What I saw on the Internet was not what I found when I arrived. For $760.00 for two nights, I received a run down cabin with holes in the living room wall. The cabin smelled bad and the furniture looked like they literally took it from someone's trash and set it up inside the cabin. I actually would not even stay in the cabin. I ended up spending more money for a hotel for the two nights I was in Gatlinburg. When I contacted management, they were unwilling to help. They suggested I pay an upgrade fee to stay in another one of their cabins. Who knows what that cabin may have looked like and would not give me a refund or let me speak to the general manager. You will be sorry if you do business with these people.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
27 Thank Kimberly C
black mountain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Well, I sure hope Tony and Matt Lee see this. Since I got very little satisfaction in dealing with them in person and no response to my email to them. On Friday evening, April 13, I arrived at our cabin the Evening Star with two girls. We had come a day early to prepare for the rest of our group which was arriving the next morning.

Upon entering the cabin, we tried to prepare our dinner. The kitchen did not have a can opener, one burner on the stove was broken and the element was sitting on the stove. There were no pot holders, one cheap six inch aluminum frying pan and 4 small pots. We tried to cook our dinner, but with only those supplies it was difficult.

After a poor meal, we sat down to watch tv. Two remotes didn't work. I assume batteries were dead.

We went out to the hot tub, it was not on. The water was cold. We tried to find the on switch, finally finding the cover on the porch floor and the unlit on/off switch. The hot tub was not usable that night.

Needless to say, I was not happy with any of this. I called and they said they would send someone. We waited an hour, no one showed.

We were upstairs and about 9:30 I went downstairs and someone had COME INTO THE CABIN and placed a frying pan on my wallet on the kitchen table. I would have heard a knock, they did not knock.
It was
extremely disconcerting to know someone had been in the house and we did not know it.

The next morning I went to the sales office and spoke first with Tony. He started off OK, but was not able to deal with my concerns effectively. I asked to speak with the manager. He said he was not available. I asked again and Matt Lee came down and took over. I guess he was available after all.

I told Matt my concerns and how I felt that our evening had been ruined by our inability to cook dinner, use the hot tub or watch two of the TVs and
the intrusion of someone in our house without knowing it. He was not sympathetic. In fact, he quickly became obviously irritated with my concerns.

He said he would take the hot tub fee and the cleaning fee off my bill. I felt that was inadequate. During the discussion, Tony chimed in and rudely said "I really feel bad for your kids" implying that I was not a good mother. How insulting.

I told Matt that I expected to be refunded for the Friday night. He rudely told me that "that's never going to happen". I asked to speak with his superior. He said there was no one else to speak with, he was it and that is the way it was going to be.

The next morning a nice man knocked and brought a can opener and frying pan. Thank you. No batteries. I had to go buy them.

OUr group arrived on Saturday morning. One of the young girls went into the shower in the downstairs bathroom. THE ENTIRE DOOR CAME OFF AND FELL ON HER WHEN SHE TRIED TO GET INTO THE SHOWER. She screamed and I was able to get out from under it. She is lucky she did not get hurt. Obviously, no one else was able to use that shower for our stay.

I understand how rentals work. But when you advertise as a "luxury cabin and I pay almost $300/night, I surely expect better.

When one or two things aren't perfect, no big deal, I get that. But the compilation of it all, the fact that we were unable to cook dinner, the danger of the shower door, the hot tub, not able to open a darn can to cook dinner, stove not working, no pot holders, 1 small plastic spatula, it was pathetic.

Most disappointing however, was the rude service I got from Tony and Matt.

That really made me never want to use your cabins again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
32 Thank mary d
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

Booked a cabin went to unpack & settle in it only to find that it smelt like an old lady's house, cat fur all over the furniture & pool table, tub was so dirty and toilet smelt horrible. Called the main office... very friendly offered us another cabin..went to check into it only to find it was almost exactly the same. Went by the main office to get a refund and find somewhere else only to find that they will not do that. Referred us to yet another cabin. Must say it was cleaner than the last two...but still not what we were planning for. Very dusty, felt not clean enough, bathroom floor had a slope in it and we killed a roach right by the bed. View was awesome though. We tried to stay out of the cabin so that our vacation wouldn't be ruined. Will definatly pay a little more next time not worth the hassle.

• Stayed February 2012