“"Keen-Eye View" - Excellent”
Review of Cobbly Nob Rentals

Cobbly Nob Rentals
Johnson City, TN
“"Keen-Eye View" - Excellent”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We spent a week at the Keen-Eye View Cabin, managed by Cobbly Nob Rentals. The cabin appears to be about 5 years old; is in excellent condition. The two bedrooms are spacious with larger-than-expected closets (but the mattress in the smaller bedroom needs replacing). The kitchen is modern and well-stocked. Nice to walk in at ground level from the driveway, which helps greatly with loading and unloading the car. The best feature is the view from the back deck - marvelous! One has a broad view of the mountains in the distance. Getting up to the cabin in winter months might be a challenge, as the road leading up is steep. Access to three different swimming pools is included. No WiFi service, which can be good or bad depending on your needs, but Verizon service was four bars (out of five). I recommend this place!

Room Tip: I have also stayed at Creekside Memories and Stairway to Heaven cabins, managed by Cobby Nob. Both...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We spent the weekend in the Sugarlands cabin, and it is in need of renovations- terribly! To begin, the back deck was missing railing, the railing that had been replaced didn't fit properly, and most of the railing was loose and falling off. The hot tub buttons did not work and the display screen read "FL" the whole time. The table on the back deck was also broken (the legs had fallen down in a collapsing manner) too. As for the inside- it felt dirty. There were cob webs, spider webs (with live spiders), dead and live bugs all over the cabin (roaches, river spiders- 2 alive in the shower, dead wasps/bees, and some other bugs). The pillows were uncomfortable and needed replacing, the carpet was wrinkled up and stained all over, the blinds in the bathroom were broken, and the blinds on the back door were not functional. The lamps beside the bed did not work and the ceiling fan closest to the bed would not work either (the light would come on, but the fan would not spin). To top it all off the front door locks and unlocks with some magnetic key that did not work properly either. Upon checking out we spent like 30 minutes trying to get the door locked. Ugh!

I did contact the rental place the first day we arrived to complain about the bugs/filth, the non-working fan, and the non-working hot tub. Someone from maintenance was supposed to come out, but never did. I received an email back asking for pictures of the bugs I was referring to (I had already sent pics of a ton of other broken/non-working things around the cabin), so I sent some bug pictures (although my hubby had cleaned up and killed most of the bugs). I also sent a video of a huge spider that fell out of my towel in the bathroom. Never heard anything back from the office. For the price we payed we should not have had to waste our time taking inventory of what needs to be fixed in the cabin!!! We have stayed in "camping cabins" that were cleaner!

This was a HUGE disappointment considering that my hubby and I honeymooned in this cabin 10 years ago and it was gorgeous at the time. Coming back for our 10 year anniversary was a mistake (as we will now remember the cabin as we just saw it). We were told initially that it was undergoing renovations and would be ready by the time we arrived in June, but from the looks of it it hadn't even started to undergo renovations, and it should not have been rented to us :(

On a positive note though, the cabin was a wonderful mountain view! The view is breathtaking and gorgeous!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travelnmom12
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I just spent the weekend at Wild Daisy for a wedding on the mountain. First, the place was huge. Each room gave plenty of space for the 10 of us to be very comfortable, though we did spend most of the time on the deck enjoying the incredible view. As a home remodeler myself, It was very obvious that the owner of this place loves it and took great pride in what seems to be a recent, full house renovation. It really is super nice. Flat screen TV's were in every room. We had three computers running at once a few times and the internet connection was great despite being so high where cell service was hit and miss. The décor throughout the whole place was really fitting to it's landscape. The large (meaning it fits 3 people) jacuzzi tub upstairs was a great touch and came in useful when we didn't allow the kids to use the outdoor hot tub an hour before their bedtime. They loved using it while getting a bath at the same time, which also helped us not be late to the wedding the next day. Everything was fully stocked. There were more pots and pans then we could use and everything else we needed was found in the drawers and cabinets. I do want to give the owner some advise hoping he reads this. Though we appreciated the wide rim dishes, they are too wide to fit in the dishwasher. I didn't catch the first time a cousin washed dishes where they stopped the spinner under the top rack from spinning. But caught it when I loaded the washer forcing me to lay them the other direction to become lower. It's a good idea for the well being of the unit to provide regular size plates. Now onto Cobbly Nob, we had one small issues with a key which turned out to be a non issue. After a pre wedding gathering in town, a few of us stayed in town to get groceries sending the rest of the family to the house. It was after 10pm when a cousin called me to say the key wasn't turning the lock. She thought that the two keys management provides were different, one for deadbolt, one for knob. I gave them only one of the two and the lock wouldn't turn. I called management... AFTER 10pm... in the hope that that we all wouldn't be sleeping in our cars that night. To my amazement they not only answered the phone, but immediately started heading up the mountain to get us in. During which they told me that the keys are the same and control all locks. I then realized that the keys were very new which usually means they're not always cut perfectly. So I told the cousin to wiggle the key a bit to get it to line up. It worked immediately... Problem solved. But I'll say again... It was after 10 pm and they were available and quick to help. Then the next day upon a visit to the office, the owner, Doug, made sure to provide me with a ton of info to make our stay as fun as possible. What to see and do, what's a waste of money and what's worth every dime. Even pulled a map off the desk, circling and describing where they all were. Though there was no time to do any of it, will indulge in all of it next year. Though disappointedly, we won't be booking Wild Daisy again unless we get another large family gathering to meet there, will be booking the next cabin with Cobbly. To watch my family have so much fun and piece meant a lot to us. Thanks all of you for a great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Aldo C
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We just recently rented from Cobbly Nob. I have stayed in several other cabins in the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg area and this is the first time that I that I had to write a review because there was so many things that was wrong. First one of the toilets was leaking and they came in and replaced it. The jacuzzi tub's stopper didn't work and they came the last night to fix it after a week so we never got to use it. The road to the cabin was completely terrifying and long. Then after you get to the bottom of the hill, you are still another 15-20 minutes from town. Some of the dishes were dirty. There was cobwebs on the dish rack above the stove. The "high speed internet" only worked every once in a while. The smart tvs barely worked, either the tvs didn't have the correct remotes or the batteries were dead. The netflix kept kicking us out everytime we tried to watch a movie. The straw that broke the camels back for me was the fact that you have to take your garbage all the way to Cobbly Nob's office and dispose of it in their dumpsters or it is a $50 charge. I don't know about everyone else but I don't like having to carry garbage in my car. You better believe that I would never use this company again.

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank Roseywildcat
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Unique lodging location, truly on the side of the mountain as is everything in Gatlinburg! But cabin came fully furnished, including kitchen area. Everything was very clean, like it was cleaned the morning before we arrived. Grocery delivery service was very neat and highly recommended if coming in late. No maid cleaning service though which is very relaxing as no one foreign is coming into my living area.

Only bad thing is driving up unusually heights, sometimes narrow, roads to get into cabins. If you are afraid of heights, these are not the right cabins for you...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We consider the Smokies the ideal place for a get-away. It took a while to find the right rental company and we found Cobbly Nob based on the referral of a friend. That was 5 years ago. We just finished our 7th visit with them. The folks at Cobbly are always friendly and helpful with lots of advice about the area. We haven't yet had a bad cabin. Their website is top notch.

Room Tip: The higher up the mountain, the better if you like seclusion.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
MI
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have rented cabins many times, but never experienced the filth and mold that was in this cabin. First the management company, Cabins for You, didn't communicate well and when we got there the cabin's carpet was absolutely filthy! There was also mold and dry wall patch in two of the three bathrooms. If we weren't so tired after driving ten hours, we would have left that evening. However, we survived the night and was able to get moved to another cabin (after many phone calls) for the next couple of days.
In the future, choose your cabin and management company well. I wished I had looked at this site prior to booking Bird House through Cabin for You.
Don from MI

Room Tip: Choose a different cabin and management company!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family