“Will never return”

Zoders Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our first time in Gatlinburg, after a 12 hour drive through the night, we arrived at Zoders Inn. We had booked our room in April for our fourth of July week long vacation. Our room was ready at 3 pm as agreed. The staff was friendly while we waited to check in. A woman in the rec room serving drinks helped explain the area to me. Our room was horrible but I felt to bad to speak up because everyone was so nice. The issues were all inside the rooms. Everything outside was beautiful. The pool, rec room, laundry area all beautiful and clean. Our room was awful though. Bathroom...the vent was so loud we couldn't even use it (only ventilation source), the grout on the floors of the bathroom was black (not white or even close), the non working fan over the shower had dust caked on it. Gross. There was no table or anywhere to put your clothes on while showering so my choices were clean clothes on the black floor, or toilet. (Not everyone wants to walk into their room with a towel on). The room had a lamp that didn't work, cable tv that was so snowy I actually looked for an antenna. There were blown light bulbs in the vanity. The phone that was in the bathroom didn't even have a plug connected to the wall it was just over the outlet. The patio, which was one of the reasons we choose this place...had mold all over the door and plastic furniture that was there. Mold...ugh. Thankfully I packed a sponge and dish soap and used that to clean stuff. The room itself was clean, the girls that clean the rooms try hard but seem to be rushed. Maybe they need more time or were not trained or maybe they weren't given the tools but clearly room maintenance is not high on this inns radar. The staff is amazing and honestly I just decided to deal with the room and not ruin my vacation getting upset. But I'm very disappointed that tripadvisor doesn't review what they rate as "tripadvisor award of excellence" in 2013. There's no way this place could win anything if you walked into my room. I loved Gatlinburg and will return, but will never return here and to be honest my idea of contributing to local economy has changed as far as hotels go. We will stay at a big chain hotel the next time we are there and shop and eat local instead. There's something to be said for quality standards. Again...beautiful on the outside, amazing staff...horrible and I mean horrible room. That being said..I obviously throughly checked the beds...no bugs of any kind. Clean carpets, clean toilets, clean sinks, clean coffee pots...just the maintenance of the room is bad and the patios really need to be addressed. Oh, our ac unit worked great but someone should tell them that the backs of the units need to be cleaned especially when they are blowing hot air all over the patio..filled with dust bunnies and dirt...I would never recommend this inn to anyone...ever. Sad because the workers were so amazing,

Room Tip: I honestly would recommend another place. There are so many options very close to this one. I would...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Jessica F
ZodersMgmt, General Manager at Zoders Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Ms. Jessica F:

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us. Here at Zoder's Inn & Suites, we strive to make every guest have a comfortable and enjoyable stay and I am sorry you did not experience that. We have taken your comments as a learning tool and I have talked to the Head Housekeeper, and proper steps will be taken regarding the items you listed ( patio furniture dirty & door being dirty) Regarding the maintenance issues you listed; the bathroom vent fan, light bulbs, TV being fuzzy. These are simple fixes for our maintenance department and could have been taken care promptly if had been notified..Again, I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your visit was.
Thank you. Jamie Holland, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Zoders Inn & Suites

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Located at the beginning of the strip in GB. The plus is you don't have to fight traffic to go to Pigeon Forge. The minus is you have to walk a pretty good way to get to the main part of the strip and it is uphill going there. There is a trolley but always a wait involved with that. This is a peaceful, beautiful view from your balcony which is wonderful to start and end your day with. The staff is friendly and always there to help. Pools in and out are nice. Always a plus to have a fridge in the room. Nothing fancy, but all you will need. You get to park right outside your door which is wonderful for coming and going, packing and unpacking. No restaurant, just snacks and cereal and such for quick bites, and free!

Room Tip: Most rooms are over the stream, but not all of them. So, add that to your request. We were in 174.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We took our family, 2 11yr olds and a 2 yr old. Stayed in the Courtyard suite. Staff was SUPER friendly when I checked in. And upon arrival in the room I was shocked at how HUGE it was! We did have 2 dead bugs that greeted us. NOT cockroaches, they are a beetle. I called down to make sure we wouldn't have any more surprises and they had exterminated the area that morning. (We are in the wilderness). Had a few more live ones in the bathroom area, 3 to be exact, but it was no biggie. The rooms are a little outdated BUT CLEAN. The pools are fantastic! Oh and CLEAN. The whole hotel is CLEAN. Definitely worth a stay for anyone looking for a good price so you can spend more money on attractions. We walked down to the strip , never used the vehicle. It's a BIT of a walk, but totally doable. I would give 5 stars however I'm a snob and like updated furniture :-). I will recommend this place to everyone!!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Plumlovincrazy
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I love the Zoder's Inn. I love to sit on the balcony form my room and listen the creek cunning under. The indoor pool is nice. great location. Free cookies, milk, and wine is offered every night and the fitness room is pretty good. Staff is friendly and eager to help.

Room Tip: Reserve a room on the water
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Growing up, my family took me on frequent weekend trips to Gatlinburg, TN. More times than not, we stayed at Zoders Inn. (We stayed here a minimum of 3 times a year for as long as I can remember.) I have stayed in every room type they offer, in fact I used to consider this place one of my most favorite hotels ever. At least once a year we would take our extended family and stay in one of their beautiful townhouse suites. The amenities are actually quite nice, but I will no longer stay here and here's why: In April, I called to make a reservation and was looking for a room with a kitchenette for my best friend, 90 year old grandmother, and myself. I told the reservation agent that I preferred a smoking room, but unfortunately the only smoking rooms available did not include a kitchen. I didn't book immediately. I thought about it for a while, then went online and booked a non-smoking room with a kitchenette, deciding that I would just have to smoke on the balcony or other outside area. When I received the confirmation email there was an extra note included saying, "If you smoke you cannot book a smoking room." and if you were caught smoking in the room or on the balcony you would be kicked out without any refund. I can understand prohibiting smoking INSIDE non-smoking rooms but the email told me that I couldn't even smoke outside if I book a non-smoking room. Evidently there aren't any smoking rooms with kitchens: only the oldest most basic rooms with two beds on a 2nd floor with no elevator (not a good idea with a 90 year old grandmother) or a poolside room with one king bed. When it was still Best Western, we used to stay in non-smoking rooms here all the time and would just smoke on the balcony. Now they are no longer a Best Western they have added some very threatening language directed to smokers. It's a real shame as my family and I have been staying here for 20+ years and knew most of the staff and owners on a first name basis. Many hotels these days are 100% smoke free, but I've never been told I couldn't stay in one of their rooms if I was smoker: only that I couldn't smoke on their property. I canceled my reservation but not our trip and neither me nor my family plan to ever stay there again. We found that we could rent a full condo closer in town that was smoker friendly for a cheaper price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank aston757
ZodersMgmt, General Manager at Zoders Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

uly 2, 2014

Dear Aston757:

Thank you for your comments. I would like to address the issues you have written. The room that you had reserved was a non smoking room. The confirmation letter that we send out does state “if you are smoker, you must book a smoking room.”. This documentation is due to the fact when other guests are booking a non smoking room, they expect to be able to enjoy their non-smoking balcony during their stay. Zoder's Inn likes to make their guest aware of this policy prior to their stay, which is why it is stated in the confirmation letter. Zoder's Inn tries to make every effort to accommodate all of our guests. (Non-Smokers and Smokers alike). Regarding rooms that have kitchens that are smoking, Zoder's does offer the Tower Suites which is also elevator accessible. I am sorry to hear that you will not be staying with us again and again thank you for your comments

Respectfully,
Jamie Holland

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We've been going to Gatlinburg since the 70's and have never stayed here for some reason. Well trust me, we WILL be staying here again next year. I LOVED the balcony over the stream. I've never been so relaxed in my life! In fact I almost fell asleep on the balcony the first night. lol The room was clean and fit our expectations to a "t". Trust me, I wasn't expecting anything glamorous but it was nice. Next time though, we'll request a room further up the hill so as not to have to look at people across the stream on their balconies. Not a snob, just felt a little uncomfortable. An easy walk to the strip also. All in all - a great experience! Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AR0925
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Very pleased with the room. Disappointed that the townhouse we stayed in wasn't on the creek. But room was clean and comfortable. Wasn't able to use many of the amenities but seem to have several to choose from. Found it entertaining that you need to be warned not to feed the bears in the parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2014