“good value”

Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Wapakoneta, Ohio
“good value”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Room was spacious, bathroom was just fine. How much time will you really spend in your room while in Gatlinburg? The mattress was a bit on the stiff side, but the creek on the backside of the room would make it a great place to drink beer during a warmer season. The trolley stops right out front, so you can't go wrong, but you really do get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Request a room off the highway...we were in 275, and the street noise did bother me.
2 Thank aceswildtru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Crossville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband and I decided to stay here December 27 to celebrate our anniversary. We chose this one because the picture of the room (corner Honeymoon suite, with fireplace and jacuzzi) looked nice and the price was great! However, when we checked-in...we were very disappointed in the room.

Cons:

They weren't rude at check-in, but there was no 'Welcome to Brookside!" or anything of that nature that you get at other hotels and resorts. Just didn't feel welcoming at all for me.

We thought that check-in was late - 3:00pm - and check-out was early - 11:00am. $150 for less than 24 hours.

We knew it was going to be dated, but it was VERY dated. We had read other reviews that talked about how they had done some remodelling, but it must have been in one of the other buildings.

The room was drafty -- you could see between the door frame and the door to the outside. I did not feel safe.

The bed was not comfortable. My left hip is STILL hurting from sleeping there.

The room was an icebox when we checked-in - the A/C was on and the temperature in the room was 54 degrees. There was only 1 blanket on the bed and the sheets, so I stayed pretty chilly all night long. We cranked the heat up to 80, turned the heat on in the bathroom, and left to go to dinner. It was warmer when we came back in, but we still slept with the heat on 78 all night.

We had to make a special trip back to the lobby to get our firewood, kindling, and matches for the fireplace. The unfortunate part was that we were STILL not able to get a fire going - I don't know what the problem was, but the wood would NOT light. The fireplace was the main reason I wanted to stay here.

The jacuzzi was wonderful, but it was in the bathroom and NOT in the room itself like the picture advertised -- this was reason #2 that I wanted to stay here. Jacuzzi tub in front of a crackling wood fireplace? Yes, please!

The door leading out to the 'patio' was very difficult to open and close. My husband had to slam it shut and hold it to get it to lock.

The windows did not shut properly, so that was part of the reason it was so cold in the room.

I like to hang my shirts up when I travel - even if it's for only one night - but the closet doors would not open far enough for me to hang anything up. I finally used the barstools to hang our shirts so that they wouldn't wrinkle inside the suitcase.

No one was in the hotel lobby after midnight -- this was another reason I did not feel safe. I honestly felt like it would have been the perfect setting for a horror movie.

My husband went to the vending machine to get us something to drink around midnight and had to walk to the first floor to find one that had more than ice. We were on the top floor and the hotel map on the door showed vending machines but when he got there, it was only an ice machine on each floor other than #1.

It was very dim inside the room -- we turned every light on (3 lamps, kitchen light, living room light, bathroom, television; there was no overhead lighting) and still felt like it was too dim.

Only mini blinds on the windows -- needed curtains for privacy and for insulation from the cold.

The water pressure of the shower head was poor. I have very curly hair and I didn't even attempt to wash or wet it. It just got thrown up in a pony for the day to keep it out of my face.

With all of these cons...the $150 price tag was definitely MUCH too high.

Pros:

The location was nice. On the East Parkway, close enough to Gatlinburg that it was less than 5 minutes down to the main road, but far enough away that you didn't have the traffic and pedestrians to worry about. 5 minutes from the Aquarium.

The jacuzzi tub was wonderful. The water was so warm and it was HUGE; we were both able to sit comfortably. The jets were nice, was great to just lay back and relax. The jets seemed a bit loud so I worried about neighbors, but as far as I know, it didn't bother anyone. I loved how you could close the shower doors and literally be in your own little cocoon (they went floor to ceiling).

There was also supposedly a steam shower/sauna, but we didn't try this out.

It was quiet. I believe they were pretty well booked for the night, but we heard very little noise.

The creek at the back of the room was wonderful -- if it wasn't so cold, we would have slept with the window open to be able to hear it.

It was fairly clean -- I saw nothing on the bed (I have to check when I travel). There were cobwebs, etc. on the back patio, but as it's an outdoor space...it's a bit more easily overlooked, but could definitely use a quick wipe-down.

I saw no bugs or mosquitos or anything of that nature.

Definitely not somewhere I would want to stay again. Definitely would not recommend to anyone either.

3 Thank Carla J
Denise T, Front Office Manager at Brookside Resort, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Brookside prides it's self in being city close-country quiet. We are only a short distance to the strip which offers many options for shopping and dining. Brookside Resort is more then willing to accommodate special requests for special visits such as honeymoon's and anniversaries. We have several honeymoon suites to choose from all have fireplaces and some have private balconies and in room Jacuzzi's with cathedral ceilings. Those particular rooms are available upon request as our website mentions. When you check into the hotel you come into our newly renovated front office where our friendly staff will greet you with a roaring fire when weather permits. Brookside thrives from repeat business and will go above and beyond to make sure that your stay lives up to your expectations. As always any problems that are brought to our attention will be dealt with promptly.
Flat Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had a Groupon Voucher to stay here. We had a wonderful time. Wish we could have stayed longer. We were in a room with a fireplace, which they gave you firewood, but we didn't have enough time to enjoy it. It was right on the river as well with a balcony. We will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Sandy H
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Only Cons here.
Stained Bed sheet, Bathroom, floors.Initially Declined orbitz reservation. Had to call orbitz to confirm.
Bugs ,Mosquito and flies inside room. Felt very unsafe.
Will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank dm_usc
Summerville, Georgia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We booked our stay in Gatlinburg on Friday (December 6th) to begin that night. We wanted to take our son to the Gatlinburg Christmas parade that night to begin his 12th birthday celebration. His birthday is on Monday. We wanted a place close to where the parade was to go by. The lady who answered the phone was so helpful and gave us a great rate, lower than several others we had called, and we took it because she said the parade was to go right by there and it had a fireplace in the room.
It was absolutely outstanding! The staff is so nice and friendly. The room is spacious and the private balcony (all rooms on 2nd floor & up) with the brook running right behind it that you can hear sitting out there, is so peaceful and beautiful. The little touches like the bear lamps was nice too. The breakfast was delicious, with hot wonderful biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, bagels with cream cheese, jelly, and butter. There was several kinds of cereal and delicious cold cold milk, with toppings of brown sugar, cranberries, and rasins, and some fresh chilled orange juice, and a bowl of fresh fruit like bananas, oranges, and apples. The dinning room was spacious and the staff there was so nice. We loved it so much, we are thinking of staying there next time instead of renting a cabin as we usually do. P.S. And the beds were sooo comfy. The bath had great water pressure and plenty of towels and complimentary soaps, shampoos, etc. The first rack of wood was free for our fireplace. Our son loved the glass elevator! We loved it and are so glad we were lucky enough to find such a great place at such a reasonable price!

Room Tip: We loved staying on the third floor because the floors 2 and up have private balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sevierville, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 December 2013

So we stayed at the resort back in June. It was my girlfriends first time in Tennessee and thank god we stayed at a great place to make a great first impression. The room was very clean, the food was pretty good in the morning, and most of all the jacuzzi was the best part. When we checked in the staff was very nice.

• Stayed June 2013
San Diego
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed 3 nights in a large view room overlooking beautiful scenery and enjoyed reunion with old friends after a few years. The whole place looked better than I remember from years back and I think the staff has a lot to do with it because the were on top of things even with our fairly large group. Food was delicious and place was spotless. Again very helpful staff for our large group because some had smaller kids and other had older ones and they had something for everyone. Looking forward to doing it again

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends