“We were very pleased with our stay”

Black Bear Inn & Suites
Ranked #44 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Stayed only one night. The staff was excellent, very nice and accomodating. The room was typical and clean with plenty of hot water. The small balcony was a nice plus. The pool was perfect, and the breakfast was excellent. Plus, with the microwave and fridge, we were able to save on lunch by reheating our dinner leftovers just before checkout. Just missed 5 stars for; small beds (the smallest queen beds) and the blinds did not keep the room dark enough for sleep.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
ResvMgr, Reservations Manager at Black Bear Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2010

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate you spending your valuable time informing others about your stay. Our manager of Guest Services is currently researching options to address the issues of the sunshine coming through the blinds. We hope to purchase new blinds or install a special filter on the existing ones to remedy this issue.

Reviewed 11 April 2010

The best aspect is the location. It is a relatively clean, modern hotel right on the main strip, although a few blocks from the very heart of town. The hotel tries in many ways to be first rate, but it just can't escape it's heritage - that of being a 'Choice Hotel', which are generally on the low-moderate end of chain hotels. The rooms are nicely appointed, with better than average carpet and quality furniture. Then they blow it by not spending the extra for a good bed. The beds are standard, low-end hotel beds. They are hard & uncomfortable. They have added thicker mattress pads, so they must be aware there is a comfort issue. Without these pads there is very little between you and the springs. The bathrooms are very small and again the class shows through. They have the smaller, round, non-elongated toilets such as I haven't seen in a (quality) hotel in a long time. The toilet tissue must be the cheapest available. There's plenty of hot water which is consistent and VERY hot (be careful), but showers run at a trickel - probably some water-saving device). Towels were plush and big. BTW, the water pipes make a high shrill noise at times (like a neighbor filling a tub) - it is very loud & reminds me of some oriental torture.
Overall, the hotel makes a very nice first impression. Unfortunately, the closer you look the more the budget orientation shows through. Staff was generally very nice and attentive - security guard was curt, rude, and seemed to stare at even the nice folks with suspicion - intimidating. The pool is heated to a very nice temp. - warm and inviting. It's indoors, so screaming kids voices can echo pretty loud. The hot tub was cold. Parking is tight. Breakfast was better than most, with some hot items and made-to-order omletts. Problem is, the hotel is very busy and crowded. Staff does NOT keep up, and usually they run out of items early - sometimes an hour before the breakfast ends. If you get there at 9:45, you're probably out of luck. This is in sharp contrast to many other hotels today that keep breakfast fully stocked until the end time, and often a few minutes beyond. The hallways are HOT, and I mean HOT, and elevators un-air-conditioned. With 2 elevators serving 7 floors in a hotel which is often full, you can wait for an elevator. You will have a layer of sweat by the time you reach the lobby.
The exterior is particularly nice, the grounds well kept, and the lobby is spacious, well appointed, and somewhat upscale. They have an 'internet cafe', but it's horrible. First, unlike most hotels, it's not 24/7. I couldn't check my email until after 11 pm (because I was with a group) and by then it was closed. One computer is broken, and the internet was so slow it was impossible to use - I mean VERY slow, like 10 minutes to get onto email. I would have brought my laptop, but they told us on the phone they had an 'internet cafe'. I missed a number of important emails.
I won't go into their rediculous (and deceptive) resort fee. Others have bashed them enough for that. Just remember, if you get a price quote like say $90, it won't be that - it will actually be $99 with the added $9 resort fee. It actually IS in the fine print on-line, but MANY have complained that they didn't find out until arrival or check-out.
I have stayed here in the past, but they did not get my repeat business the next time because of the above mentioned things. This time I stayed here because I was with a group. I do like the hotel and would recommend it, just be aware of it's shortcomings. The location is very good. Is it worth the cheap bed, breakfast problems, and other negative points? I don't know. If you're on a budget this may be for you. I wouldn't consider this hotel for anything over about $99 a night (WITH resort fee). If you don't mind spending a bit more, The Hilton Garden Inn is far superior.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 2 April 2010

After our first hotel was a nightmare, we called the Clarion. They gave us great deal on a King suite and we came right over. The breakfast was very good, but get there early. The pool was great and the balcony where I'm writing this is very nice. You can walk to the entrance to the park and great restaurants. It seems to be much more quiet on this side of town.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank rlap

Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to write a review about our hotel. Our breakfast is very popular, and it does indeed get busy in our dining area from 7:00 am to 10:00 am. As you noticed, this is indeed the quiet end of Gatlinburg, and we like it that way! But even though we are at the end of town, we are still just a short walk to restaurants, shopping and attractions in Gatlinburg. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Gatlinburg.

Reviewed 28 March 2010

We stayed here for one night after arriving in Gatlinburg a day early and not being able to get a room for the one night at our hotel for the week. The lady at the Smoky Mountain Resort made a reservation for us. There was a convention and the only room they had left was a king suite. We checked in after nine and checked out in the morning. So we did not get to really enjoy the hotel much. The location is right on the strip near Ober Gatlinburg's tram. So you literally walk right out the door and are on the strip. If you want quiet then this is not the place for you. But if you want the convenience of walking out the door and being right on the strip. This is perfect. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Everyone would smile and say hello. The only exception to this was the breakfast lady. But with a convention there, I am sure she had been extremely busy. The room was spotless. It had a king bed and jacuzzi in a separate room and a kitchenette and fireplace and balcony. The view was just of the parking lot and swimming pool. But this hotel's location is it's biggest asset. And the breakfast was much more than a regular continental breakfast. They even had a man making omelets and hot food available. I would not hesitate to stay here again. I do think the nine dollar RESORT fee is ridiculous. They did not charge this in the past. I think they should seriously thing about getting rid of that. No other hotels in this area charge a resort fee.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
ResvMgr, Reservations Manager at Black Bear Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and customer service. Yes, our location is great! Because we are right on the main Parkway through downtown Gatlinburg, we are close to restaurants, shopping, and attractions. Unfortunately, that means that there is noise from cars and pedestrians on the street. Each of our rooms have a balcony. Perhaps on your next stay, you will want to choose a room with the balcony on the back of the hotel, overlooking the parking lot and swimming pool. That side is a little quieter, and also a little less expensive. I will pass on your concerns about the resort fee to our General Manager. We hope you stay with us on your next trip to the Smokies.

Reviewed 24 March 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights (a sunday and monday). The Hotel is pleasant enough, nice helpfull staff. My biggest issue was the 5:00 am phone calls both mornings, telling me there was a problem with the phones and to leave it off the hook.
Breakfast was a zoo! Decent selection, the gentleman cooking the eggs was very sweet and friendly. There just is not enough time to get served and not enough room to seat everyone.
I had a balcony over the street, which I would not do again, awakened several times by the numerous fire trucks and ambulances. The view was pretty, if you like to people watch it would be ideal.
Overall I would suggest the hotel. A decent value, didn't like the "resort fee" or realize what that was for.
It was very clean and comfy!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Inslady44

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. The telephone call you received in the early hours of the morning was not made by our front desk. Our hotel, as well as many hotels in the county, are being victimized by prank callers. We have reported this issue to our phone company, and they are attempting to trace the source of these calls. We do apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. We added our full/hot breakfast last year. Omelets are made-to-order, and these do take a few minutes to prepare for you. But they are worth the wait! Breakfast is served from 7:00 am to 10:00 am, so there are several hours over which to enjoy this meal. If you had to wait, you must have come at a popular time. We do allow our guests to take their food back to their rooms, which some people prefer to do. Each of our rooms has a balcony. Rooms on the front enjoy a view of downtown Gatlinburg, but due to cars and pedestrians, this side can be a little loud at times. We also have rooms on the back of the hotel overlooking the parking lot and swimming pool. This side is a little quieter, and cheaper too. When you come back to stay with us again, I would suggest requesting that side. Finally, the resort fee addresses the issues of on-site parking, 24-hour coffee bar, local phone calls, nightly security guard, in-room safes, access to the internet cafe, and hypo-allergenic solution mattress cleaning. I will pass your concern about this resort fee to our General Manager. We hope to host you the next time you return to the Smokies.

Reviewed 15 March 2010

We just wanted to get away for a couple of days and see what kind of stuff we could get into and gatlinburg seemed liek the perfect place. We arrived really late and the girl at the desk was there to greet us and got us all checked in. The room was absolutley clean and smelled fresh and we got it at a great price.I had some trouble sleeping and ventured down to the lobby for some coffee. The front desk clerk again was so friendly and helpful. She gave me all kinds all ideas for things to do and recomended all sorts of things. My family absolutely loved the whole stay. We are definately going to come back to gatlinburg and we are most definately staying at the Clarion and we are asking the girls at the front desk for more exciting tips on things to do. We won't stay anywhere else now. thanks to the whole crew at the Clarion for making our stay as wonderful as possible.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mountainndaddy

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We pride ourselves on providing a clean hotel and great customer service. I am delighted to hear that you experienced both while staying with us. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to the Smokies.

Reviewed 21 January 2010

We stayed for one night and after asking around for prices, we checked in for only $62 (plus tax) and got the best deal for our money. We had fridge and microwave, free internet and excellent free, hot breakfast ( the best!: eggs, smash potatoes, pancakes, sausage, cereal, etc). Beautiful lobby, great customer service, indoor pool (didnt use it, plus I didnt like that it was outside, meaning you had to walk by the parking lot to get to it). We stayed in the fifth floor and had a nice view. Also they had luggage carts and they let you leave your car in their parking lot after check out, when you walk around the town. I deffinetly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank alka33

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and customer service, so I am glad you experienced both! We are delighted with the popularity of our full/hot breakfast that we implemented last year. Our made-to-order omelets are especially popular, along with the waffles that can now be made in the shape of a bear. We hope to host you on your next stay in the Smokies.