“Will not stay again”

Ranked #38 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Cleveland, Tennessee
“Will not stay again”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We thought the Clarion would be a great place to stay but it wasn't. We were told on the phone that they had secure parking and when we arrived we noticed a sign that stated they are not responsible for your car are belongings. First night had two silverfish in the bathroom. We got up Sunday morning and hit the strip. Got back around 7 and found our door open and called the front desk. They told me the maids were in at 3 cleaning and were sorry our door was left open. Luckly valuables were in safe. Manager on duty was not helpful at all. Sunday found another silverfish in tub. If you stay here take a can of raid and a lock for your door. When we checked out Monday the manager on duty asked how are stay was and wife informed him of problems and his response was " we hope you come back". Hidden resort fee. Watch these people. Will stay elsewhere next visit.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank pde64
, Manager at Black Bear Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
We regret that your experience was less than pleasant. The Clarion Inn & Suites Gatlinburg utilizes a nationally known and respected pest control company for regularly scheduled services for the hotel, and has for several years. Door locks were read the following day. Reading showed one cleaner key used when cleaning the room. Reading also shows at 6:50 p.m. the guest key was used to enter the room and again at 6:55 p.m. and again at 11:35 p.m. The Resort fee was addressed with the Manager on Duty upon making your reservations and again when you checked into the hotel initialing and acknowledging on the hotels registration card.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We have stayed here multiple times in the past. New rules and fees along with much higher prices do not make this a place I will consider again.

I do not smoke in a room, at home or away. Clarion now threatens a huge fee for smoking even on the open-air balcony. They also impose a $9.00 "resort fee". What resort? It's a hotel, nothing more. I was told that covers the cost of the Newsweek paper if we want one and the "only armed guard at a hotel in Gatlinburg". Why do they need an armed guard when no one else does? It is just another game to jack the price for the room and still advertise the "room rate". The total cost for the room was $162 for one night even though the quoted rate was $134. The first night I found the condos right behind the Clarion have nightly rentals. I got a 1 bedroom condo with a private balcony overlooking the city for $89 per night and no hidden fees, just tax. There is a $40 cleaning fee, but that is for the entire stay, not per night. It has 2 plasma TV's, washer/dryer in room, fireplace, and was very comfortable.

The breakfast at the clarion is good enough, but the almost $350 I saved by moving more than covered the breakfast. I never felt the need for an armed guard either.

My suggestion is to look at Summit Manor Condos before considering the Clarion.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Skyryte

Travellers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

NC
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Overall we had a great stay at the Clarion. We checked in early, and even though the room wasn't ready, they gave us our parking pass so we could walk around downtown Gatlinburg. They are in an excellent location for those that like to park and walk downtown Gatlinburg. The staff there is great and everyone we ran into (from front desk to maintenance) was wonderful. The hotel is starting to show some age and the rooms really need a good updating. The beds were comfy however. If we stayed there again, we would get a suite, as the two queen bed room was really tight for a family of four. The breakfast was wonderful, but some extra seating would be great, as both days we were unable to find a place to sit. With the excellent staff they have, it really does make you want to go back there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
, Manager at Black Bear Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 September 2010
The Clarion Inn & Suites Gatlinburg would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay. The Luxury King Jacuzzi Suites or our Family Suites do offer more spacious accommodations for our guests. Thanks again for choosing the Clarion Inn & Suites Gatlinburg for your Smoky Mountain getaway. We look forward to meeting your future lodging needs.
Wadsworth, Ohio
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed here the first year it opened and have chosen to stay here on several other trips to the Smoky Mountains. We love that it is close to the park and is still right on the main strip of Gatlinburg. We reserved a suite for this trip and we were happy with the size and comfort of the room. But, the hotel is definitely starting to show some age and the furnishings are getting a bit shabby. The breakfast is great - with made to order omelettes, eggs, sausages, waffles, biscuits, donuts, bagles...etc. Could use some more seating. Our biggest complaint was coming back to the room after a long hot day of hiking only to find that our room had not been cleaned. We called down to inquire why and ask for clean towels and waited and waited. After a second phone call and more waiting we finally received new towels. The hotel did deduct a small amount off of one of our day's rates, but we were very disappointed in the service we received that evening. Otherwise, our stay was positive.

1 Thank sle5
SoBoVa.
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We just got back from a 4 day stay here we are a family of six. Our check-in by Donna was friendly and inviting, she excepted our 10% coupon even after we forgot to give it to her upon check-in. The lobby was beautiful, our room was spacious and clean. This hotel is walking distance from all the attractions our car was parked , when we wanted to go farther we stood in front of the hotel for the trolley. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was good, the omelets were delish and everything was stocked. Everywhere staff was cleaning, shining the elevators, cleaning floors.etc. The wifi worked fine, and there is parking in the back of the property with the elevator stopping right at the parking lot. We visited the business center and there is a copy machine and computers for use. There is also free coffee and fresh fruit in the lobby and items to buy if you need a snack late at night. I only have one complaint is the pull out sofa bed is very uncomfortable. the mattress is very thin. Other than that we had a wonderful stay and will be back.

Chattanooga
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The rates for the time that I stayed were supposed to be $99 per night. I chose the hotel based on the fact that we wanted to spend no more than that amount. The reservation page gave the estimated charges with the hotel rate plus tax. When we arrived at the hotel, we were informed that on top of the rate there would be a $9 per night charge. I told the manager who checked me in that there was nothing about the hidden charge when I made the reservation. He showed me on the page that in very small writing hidden in the middle of the page it stated, "estimated charges do not include a $9 per night resort fee." First of all, WHY is that fee not included in the estimated charges if the hotel is not trying to fool their guests? They are obviously trying to make their rates look as if they are lower than they actually are. I would not expect this from a major hotel chain. I assumed that since they are a major chain, they were legitimate and trust worthy. I was wrong. Had I known that the rates were actually $109 per night as opposed to 99, I would have chosen another hotel. Their were several whose rates were 99 and under. Besides the fact that the charge was hidden, this hotel is in no way a "resort". When I asked what the fee is for, I was told, parking, the breakfast, and security. All of these are advertised as FREE on the website.
Also, the manager, (a balding man with glasses), who checked me in was extremely rude and condescending. I will NEVER consider staying at another Clarion and I plan to report them to the Better Business Bureau and other consumer protection organizations. I realize that $9 is not a lot, but it is the fact that Clarion is taking advantage of their customers that makes me so angry. I am answering no to the questions of whether the hotel provides free wifi and parking because they actually don't even though they advertise that they do.

2 Thank fifibooboo
, Manager at Black Bear Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
The hotel regrets that you didn't understand the printed charge. The hotel makes every effort to make guest most aware of the $9.00 per day resort fee. It is posted on websites and verbally disclosed when the guest calls the hotel directly to make reservations. The resort fee has been in place for over 5 years. The hotel is located in a resort area and is located less than 100 yards to the entrance of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Room rates reflect the rooms themselves. The Clarion offers many unique amenities such as a Full Hot Complimentary breakfast each morning with made to order omelet's, belgium waffles, hashbrowns, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, bagels, oatmeal, biscuits, gravy, juice, milk and 24 hr coffee. Other amenities include the Fitness Center, the enclosed in heated pool area with retractable ceiling, business center, and enjoys the prime location of being in walking distance to all the local fine dining and shopping that Gatlinburg has to offer.
jefferson ga
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I have to say that i was a little worried about this hotel after reading the other reviews. but this hotel exceeded my expectatations. YES to me it was a little pricey but it was worth it i have no complaints at all. The staff was very friendly not one time was any member of the staff was anything other than polite and inviting. the rooms were clean. the pool and hot tubs were heated very nice temp. Breakfast was outstanding with omelets made to order,24hr coffee and hot tea with fresh fruits.. I didnt find a problem with breakfast actually i got up late one day and was fifteen mins late for breakfast and thay still made me a wonderfull omelet,and we were visiting fourth july wknd was very organized and pleasant not overcrowed cause they let you take back to the room.I will most certain return and no i didnt like the resort fee, but with no complaints and no neg. issues i rather come a little bit out of pocket more to leave knowing had a perfect vacation.. Thank you gatlinburg clarion staff..

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank travelJeffersonGa
, Manager at Black Bear Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
The Clarion Inn & Suites would like to thank you for taking the to compliment the hotel and say such kind words. The Clarion is glad that you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to having to stay with us again in the future.