“Great hotel, Great location!!”

Black Bear Inn & Suites
Ranked #37 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Oak Glen, California
“Great hotel, Great location!!”
Reviewed 23 December 2010

My experience of this hotel was fabulous. I have paid more for hotels in this area and were not pleased like I was at this hotel. I thought the room and bed was very comfortable. The balcony was cute. The breakfast was fantastic. My omelette was really good. I also had potatoes and biscuit/gravy. I know a few people were irritated by the resort fee. Luckily I checked reviews before staying so I knew what I was getting. The only thing I would change if I could was the amount of light that came through the balcony door window. It wasn't a lot and it looks like they are doing what they can but I like to sleep like I'm in a cave.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 December 2010

good location.. close to smoky mountain entrance ... clean... major plus is complementary hot breakfast to include omelets, biscuits and gravy, waffles.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank catmalways4ever
gobuckeyesOSU, Manager at Black Bear Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
The Clarion is glad that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel is located with great access to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We're are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Full Hot Breakfast. Thank you for taking the time to post the comment and we appreciate your kind words. Look forward to having you stay with us again.
Jacksonville, Alabama
Reviewed 30 November 2010

The Clarion was just what we expected it to be. We had a street view balcony on the 6th floor and the view was excellent. The room was as expected except for the refrigerator in the room was missing the control know so all of our drinks were frozen or nearly frozen. The breakfast was outstanding!! An omelete chef prepared our order to perfection with the other selections near perfect. Some of the best gravy and biscuits I've ever had. The drinks topped off the fare. Coffee is available in the lobby 24/7, which is a great feature.
There was no wait for a luggage cart and the unload and load went off without a hitch. Overall this is a great place to stay, especially if your military because of the discount offered.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank EASeabee
Reviewed 11 November 2010

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend, and It was everything that I expected it to be. Hotel was very clean and bedbug free. The staff was nice and polite. We're actually getting married in March. We're having our reception here. That was the reason for our visit. Yes, the $9 charge could be added to the room charge, but let me tell you. You can't eat anywhere else like that at any other hotel. They had so many different choices for hot and cold items. We were very pleased. Can't wait to get back!

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank tfinley32611
central indiana
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Just got back from the Clarion and had a great time. We really enjoyed our visit. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, and the location was great. You can park your car at arrival and never see it again til packing up to head home.
After reading reviews, one of the things most upsetting to people is the $9 resort fee. While I would hardly consider this a resort, the cost is more than offset by all the things you receive. I think the great breakfast, evening cookies and breads, and the unlimited fresh coffee (and hot chocolate) saved me $50-$60 a day. I'm sure these things aren't as important to some. However, as a father of teenagers who can eat you broke, I found it wonderful. Maybe if the hotel could just bury the fee in the room cost they could save some hassles. Also, Gatlinburg in October is expensive. Trust me, the resort fee is a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll spend if you do anything more than wander around the National Park.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank 1holein1
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We took a family vacation to Gatlinburg to hike and enjoy the fun little town. We had a great visit at the Clarion Inn and Suites. The staff was so welcoming, everything was very clean and nice. The room and bath was small but we did not spend much time in the actual room. There is a refrigerator in the room so that helped. The hotel had a great warm and cold breakfast choices omlet bar made to order, cereal, starbucks coffee, donuts, oatmeal. In the afternoon they had snacks, and juice. It was perfect because that was about the time we would come back to the room to relax a little before dinner. They had enough food and places to sit. The pool is not attached, but was nice with a hot tub to soak after all that walking and hiking. The location was perfect in the town and near all the action. We will definately stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 September 2010

A couple of things to be aware of:

You will be hit with a $9/day "resort fee" at check in. I saw no mention whatsoever of this when I made my reservation, and I am one for details. I am a seasoned traveler, and I can tell you that this place is no resort in any way, shape or form. It is a mid-level hotel, nothing more. This "resort fee" apparently covers things that are included in the rate at most hotels. Yes, it has a pool, WOW! It has a "fitness center," which is a little room with a treadmill, and a couple of other machines that nearly useless, no free weights. The "free breakfast" is standard fare: a choice or two of cereal, a little chipped fruit, milk, coffee, cake donut, etc. The hot breakfast offering is okay, but nothing special. My wife came to the table with grits our last day there. She said they were raw. Sometimes she can be ticky, so I tried them myself....PHPPPTTTT!! They were completely raw and uncooked. She informed them of this, but later, a woman sitting next to use came to the table with the same uncooked grits. I'm not even sure the cook even spoke English.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the hotel is right on the main drag of Gatlinburg. While this is very convenient, if you get a room on the front, be aware that you will be listening to Harleys and hot rod cars revving and cruising all day long, till about midnight. The bed was okay, nothing special, but adequate. The room was very clean, as was the hotel. That said, I don't believe I will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Black Bear Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 September 2010
The Clarion Inn & Suites Gatlinburg deeply regrets that you found your accomodations less than pleasant. The Resort Fee is a daily charge that addresses many amenities in which the hotel offers. The Resort Fee is acknowledged at check in and signed off by all guests upon completion of the hotel registration card. The Hot Breakfast in which the hotel offers includes Made to order Omelettes, Belgium Waffles, Biscuits & Gravy, Sausage, Scrambled Eggs, Hashbrowns, variety of Cereals, Doughnuts, Fresh Fruit and many other items. The hotel offers private balconies overlooking the Parkway and overlooking our enclosed pool area, which is more quieter. If a guest prefers a different view and the hotel has availability it would be our pleasure to switch rooms. During your stay there was a city wide car show "Shades of the Past", Cherokee Bike Rally and preparations for the upcoming Grand Fall Rod Run.

Travellers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels