“Better then most in the area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Belle Aire Hotel

Econo Lodge Belle Aire Hotel
Ranked #57 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Atlanta, Georgia
“Better then most in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Most gatlinburg hotels are not very nice and the few nice ones are too expensive. We have a toddler so cleanliness is most important to us. This hotel looks kind of old from the outside but our room (and top blanket, sometimes they're gross) was very clean. It's only a block or so from the main strip.
I was able to sleep and I'm a light sleeper so I wouldn't agree with the reviewer that said it was loud.
We didn't take advantage of the free basic breakfast we opted for the pancake house about a half block down the road.
The only thing I didn't like was one of the beds was pushed right up to the heat/air unit, I mean pressed right up to it but still we would definitely stay here again.
Oh and the lobby closes at 11, if you're checking in after 11 you have to pick up your room key down the road, that happened so our friends.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank IMIUBU
Walter Y, General Manager at Econo Lodge Belle Aire Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Thanks for commenting. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Please return and stay Belle Aire Econo Lodge again soon!

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband was leaving for deployment the next day so we decided to go down to Gatlinburg overnight so I could drop him off on base in the morning... his sister came along.
I based booking this room on a few things... it had pretty great reviews and pictures, seemed to be pretty close to the strip, the hotel was renovated at some recent point...
The hotel was renovated (partially i feel) but the room we were in had some carpet stains, old pink and blue bathroom tile, and all the rooms had the OLD windows that actually open... you know, the metal framed ones...

I think it's best for me to just make a pro/con list for you guys so here it is:

Pro's:
The desk clerk when we left was great.
The room was pretty clean for a hotel so close to the strip. I would have said it was very clean if i didn't lose my earing back under one of the beds and had to hunt for it! lmao
The street this hotel is on comes out on the main strip pretty much right at the Ripley's Believe it or not museum. PERFECT place because it's pretty much the best part of Gatlinburg.
The water pressure and temperature in the shower was perfect.
The beds and pillows were very comfy.
The hotel was quiet because it's not on the main strip.
The desk clerk, I feel, made things right when we left by offering us some discounts for our dissatisfaction. And he was VERY polite and apologetic. I was actually a bit surprised because I don't complain about things often, I didn't ask for anything and he OFFERED to try to make things right.

Con's
This place apparently has two locations? When I went to get our room key there was only one clerk and she was helping a woman who was trying to check in but there reservation was wrong and they had to move her to the other building in a different location... So it took about 15 minutes of standing, waiting, etc before we got a key.
I assumed the hotel was about 2 blocks from the strip based on mapquest... it was more like 6 blocks (not sure exactly how many lol). The walk wasn't bad at all until it got to be night time and it was a little creepy...
The hotel pictures are VERY deceiving in my opinion. Our room was VERY small and tight compared to an average room. So tight, in fact, that the 2nd queen bed was literally touching the wall air conditioner. There was one table in between the two queen beds and that was all there was room for on that wall.
I still feel like they gave us full beds and not queen beds... they seemed small.
There is no table for you to sit and eat in the room but a desk.
There was one small thing of shampoo, one small thing of lotion, and a bar of soap... every hotel I've ever stayed at had two shampoos but this wasn't a huge deal...
The air conditioner was SO UNBELIEVABLY LOUD that the three of us were up all through the night when it would kick on and off. (It runs constantly very loud but does some kicking on and off type stuff which is even louder... idk)

Overall, for the price we paid, I expected much more.
We only stayed for one night. If the A/C wasn't so loud I think I would feel more comfortable about giving this hotel 3 stars. It was just WAY less than expected.
We did not use the in room fridge (it was a pretty old wood panel looking one), the pool or the continental breakfast (only 3 tables) so I can't give any input on these.
I think that for a one night stay that this hotel was okay. And we may stay there again if we decide we want to be right near the strip... but I wouldn't book it for more than a night or two or with my two kids.

Room Tip: This review is for room 117.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KatieBentley
Walter Y, General Manager at Econo Lodge Belle Aire Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Thanks for your review. We will take your points into account as we continue to work to improve Belle Aire Econo Lodge. We do hope you will stay with us again.
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Concur with most reviews as to convenience to strip and the Nature Trail. Rooms were basic and small, but this is an older motel. Furnishings were decent. Mattresses were comfortable. Breakfast was a waste unless you just want coffee, but I really don't eat it at Choice properties usually anyway. Front desk was helpful when I had issues with a reservation.

Room Tip: Rooms on side by strip are easier to get out in a car..
2 Thank rk821
Walter Y, General Manager at Econo Lodge Belle Aire Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thanks for the review. We will take your comments concerning breakfast into consideration as we consider how to improve it. Come and back and stay with us BelleAire EconoLodge again soon!
Waynesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

We had just come from a bad experience at a motel in Pigeon Forge and was pleased to find your motel. The young man at the front desk when we checked in at about 10:30 am was very helpful and pleasant. He got us to a very nice room quickly and efficiently. The room was great, clean and everything worked. It is convenient to all the attractions such as walking downtown and to the convention center. Had a little reaction with the maintance man and the housekeepers it was very good. The next morning which was Friday I asked the young lady at the desk if it would be ok if I left my truck sit on the lot while we went to the craft fair, she said no problem.

Overall it was a very enjoyable stay and we are planning to return in October and will stay again with you.
Thank you for a clean pleasant visit to Gatlinburg

Room Tip: This is the place to stay when in the area
3 Thank gomer4696
Thank you. We appreciate your comments, and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Sewell, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We chose this because of 4+ star reviews on TripAdvisor, and were a bit disappointed, even though we know this is the bottom of the rung in Choice Hotels brand offerings. So I'll outline what I think are the pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Location: 2 blocks off the main "strip" of Gatlinburg, this allows for some peace and quiet and less than a quarter mile walk on a slight incline which will work off that fatty dinner at one of the omnipresent steakhouses. You don't want to be on the strip due to all the noise - our location was very quiet. Also well located next to the Log Cabin Pancake House, which is an absolute necessity due to "Con" #2 below.

2. Cheap - get a Choice Hotels membership and book directly through their website with advance payment and this place is a pretty good deal.

3. Clean: we had no gripes with the cleanliness of our room, it was spotless. Bed was king sized and fairly comfortable for me, a person with lower back problems.

Cons:
1. Room: first, it had a very odd and somewhat unpleasant odor. My best guess is the air conditioning unit. Second, the room gets really stuffy unless you run the A/C constantly, which is incredibly loud and blows a draft on the bed. (We counteracted this by putting a chair covered in a bath towel in front of the A/C unit.) Bring your earplugs.

2. Breakfast: forget factoring in the free "breakfast" to your calculations of whether this place is a good deal or not. Breakfast consisted of a few varieties of packaged cereal; one prepacked danish; some white bagels; and some little pre-packaged orange juice. I guess if this is adequate for you, great, but hiking the Smokies requires a bit more nutritious energy for me.

Plenty of free parking and a pool, if you like that sort of thing. Free wi-fi was very reliable but required logging in almost every time we turned our devices back on.

All in all, an average motel with its ups and downs.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Dulcinea10
Walter Y, General Manager at Econo Lodge Belle Aire Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate the positive comments and we will see how we can improve in the areas where that is indicated. Come back and stay at Belle Aire Econo Lodge again soon!
Springdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Location:
VERY convenient to the strip. We were able to walk to wherever we wanted to go in Gatlinburg.
Appreciate the parking pass/mirror hanger. In our mind, this kept non-hotel guests away.

Room
CLEAN: a bit small but we dealt with it.
Housekeeping was friendly and did a very good job.

Staff
Desk clerks were very helpful and friendly

Breakfast
We didn't take advantage, no way to comment on that.

Internet
Be prepared to have a banner ad pop up and run across the top of your screen. Also, there were some sites that didn't seem to want to load correctly. I don't know if there was a conflict between my browser/ the web site/ hotel Internet or what the problem was. It was annoying but I was able to work around.

Noise level
Traffic outside was not that noticable. There was some activity heard from the pool. That was covered up by turning up the AC

Wildlife
Kind of scary but neat....there is a bear that visits the hotel late at night/early in the morning. I Would alert folks to be aware of this. The trashcans outside the rooms were tipped over and rummaged through by the visiting critter.

Room Tip: We liked our room facing the direction of the strip. it was kind of neat to see the space needle an...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ozarksportsgal
Walter Y, General Manager at Econo Lodge Belle Aire Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay at BelleAire EconoLodge. It sounds like things were mostly positive for you. We have renewed our efforts to make sure that trash is placed in the dumpster nightly so as to make sure our ursuline friends (aka "bears") do not empty the trash cans all over the property looking for food.

Other than that, seeing bears whenever and wherever is an integral part of the Gatlinburg experience. Please keep your distance and above all, do not feed them!

Again, thank you for your feedback, and please come stay with us again soon!
port richey,fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I booked this hotel since it was a block from downtown and included free parking. The room was decent but the jetted tub (which was missing some jets) had mold and mildew in the jets so would not want to use it as a tub. The man who cleaned our room was excellent and even left us a note saying he hoped we had a nice day. Upon check in he stopped to see if we needed more towels, coffee, etc. The breakfast was very basic - pastry, bagels and cereal but worked out fine for us.
We stayed 2 nights and would certainly stay there again if in the area.

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the first floor and the first night we stayed they had a bear go through the ga...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cojasak
Thanks for commenting. We apologize for the condition of the jetted tub. It may be in one of the rooms we have taken off-line for renovations. We are pleased that the rest of your experience at BelleAire EconoLodge was positive. Come back and visit us again soon!