“One night stay at half way mark”

The Edgewater Hotel
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
“One night stay at half way mark”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have been to Gatlinburg so many times I can't count them. Have always wanted to give the Edgewater a try. Wanted a room with a balcony overlooking stream and walk way which we had. Enjoyed sitting out there and people watching. Front desk person was incredibly hospitable and professional; as were other employees that we encountered. Room was clean. Yes the rooms here are outdated HOWEVER THAT IS PART OF THE CHARM of staying here!I wish I had taken a picture of the Mantel over the gas fireplace. Very 1920's and CHARMING! As long as it's clean and has the necessities that's all that really matters to us. The SHOWER was THE BEST shower of ANY place we have stayed INCLUDING Chalets and The Holiday Inn Express. The reason? There is actual ROOM for shampoo, soap, conditioner etc. They have a tub surround with cubby holes for your stuff. This gets a BIG A PLUS for me...AND there was adequate lighting in the bathroom to dry hair and apply make up. So many places do NOT have this! The mattress and pillows were very comfortable! Hard to find in hotels/motels.... The breakfast buffet was very nice. Check in and check out was easy and fast. Parking was great! Was within walking distance of SO MANY things to see and do. As we were there only one night all we did was walk to dinner. Would for sure come back here if we want "town" experience rather than Chalet which we usually prefer through Chalet Village. Did have trouble with the window A/C...it DID keep the room cool however was so loud it became frustrating. A/C trouble seemed to be a problem at the other place we stayed before Gatlinburg which was not good for my husband as he is hot all the time in the summer.

Room Tip: Back side of Hotel has mountain view only so if you want too people watch get a front view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Holly121416
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Edgewater. I appreciate your comments and look forward to another opportunity to host you when travel plans bring you back to Gatlinburg.
Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Polish first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights and felt comfortable. Pool was ok but poorly lit and seemed uninviting. Outside are was nicer so we sat out there. Cleanliness was sufficient. Parking was good. Breakfast was not a continental as they say. First morning was sausage, biscuits, and gravy. Had toast but no bagels. The waffle makers were right beside the two pans with the sausage and biscuits so getting to the food was next to impossible. The second morning, there was no gravy. Only biscuits and sausage. They didn't have eggs either morning. Rooms were updated and clean so I didn't feel dirty at any time...I always worry about this staying in hotels I haven't stayed in before. Nice stream in front but I wasn't aware you HAVE TO REQUEST a room in the front. Our view was kudzu and the gross area behind the building next door. One thing you have to prepare for...This is also a convention center so lots of folks have family reunions here. When the rude families show up and take over the pool, game area, and lounge, you should just leave because you won't feel like you belong there. This is a good value either way and I would definitely not be afraid to try it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river if you expect a view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Edgewater Hotel. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host you, and hope when travel plans bring you back to the Gatlinburg area we hope you will again choose the Edgewater.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The location, staff, amenities and rooms were very good. Sue at the front desk was very friendly and treated us like her only customer. The pool was quite nice. I will definitely stay here again as the price was fair as well. One area that I would hope the owner looks into would be the elevators. They are the slowest I've ever seen. I will ask for fourth floor next time so I can avoid them for sure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Edgewater. I appreciate knowing that our staff was professional and courteous during your visit. Also, we are always looking for ways to improve our property, and appreciate your concerns and suggestions regarding the elevators. I will pass them on to our management staff. We look forward to hosting you again when travel plans bring you back to Gatlinburg.
Ocala
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We come to Gatlinburg often. Such a fun getaway and change of scenery from FL. This was our first time staying here and I was a little nervous because it is an older hotel. I am so glad I listened to the reviews! It was clean, great location and the staff was great. My only few little issues were just knit picky things like the wait for the elevator and the huge line for breakfast. Nothing that would prevent me from staying again. The atmosphere was so friendly and relaxed and everyone we saw was having a great vacation!!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Edgewater. I appreciate your comments and hope you will allow us to host you again when travel plans bring you back to Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains.
Spindale, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 June 2014

First off, the staff was amazing! Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping were beyond friendly. We have two children, 7 and 3, and the staff always asked them if they were having fun and what they did that day in Gatlinburg. Very encouraging to be around friendly, considerate people! The rooms were nice. I thought the hotel had a nice Southern charm to it. The location was phenomenal. The pool area was small, but we had a blast! I would like to commend you on the smoking fee signs throughout the lobby. My 3 year old daughter has a smoking allergy and even though we knew the hotel was 100% smoke free, we also know that people would try to do it anyway. Seeing these signs gave me comfort knowing that violators would be subject to a fine. We didn't see one smoker at the hotel all week!! Thank you all for a wonderful vacation! God bless!!
Jamie from Rutherfordton, NC

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you Jamie for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your stay. I appreciate your comments regarding our staff and hotel. I will be sure and pass them on. I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation here and we look forward to hosting you again when travel plans bring you back to Gatlinburg.
Pickerington, Ohio
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at the Edgewater June 2014. 8th floor, with a view of the city. The staff were all very nice, but I do have to agree with others that this hotel is dirty and dated. The garage parking spaces are extremely small, I struggled with a Prius, can't imagine a larger car trying to park in those tight spaces. The elevators ran very very slow. Common area carpets were beyond dirty and stained. I understand that spills happen and you can't clean carpets everyday, but these stains were old and multiple. The carpet in our room was so dirty that I would not walk barefoot in the room. Furnishings are old and scratched in the room. Our balcony area had an odd smell, and we could not enjoy full use of it. One chair had a cigarette burn on the seat, even though it is a no smoking facility. But the view was nice from the 8th floor. Ceiling tiles in breakfast area had multiple stains, and one morning there was a large ceiling leak right by the waffle area, a large trash can was placed by the food to catch the water. The breakfast was just so-so, nothing special, we did not use the pool, so I am unable to comment on that area. One moring, two maintenance men knocked on our door and told us not to use the water, they were performing some type of service. Perhaps this maintenance should have waited until after check-out time, so showers could be completed. For the price per night, I think I would stay elsewhere next time. The location is great, but there are many hotels to pick from in the same area. A convention came in on Thursday and the hotel became very crowded, and the elevator wait was extremely long. Many children playing on them going floor to floor. If you plan to stay here, ask if a convention group will be at this hotel during your stay. I would suggest you ask for a room far away from the crowd. And if you want breakfast, get there early.

2 Thank Amy N
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post regarding your recent stay at the Edgewater. I appreciate your comments and suggestions and will bring them to the attention of our Management Staff. I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity in the future to host your family.
Best Regards
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at the Edgewater over the last 6 months. My family and I have been vacationing in Gatlinburg for over 40 years. I wish I had known about the Edgewater years ago. First off, the staff, and I mean all of them, are very friendly and appreciative of your stay with them. Over the last fifteen years or so, the overall "flavor" and environment of this unique area has changed, and not for the better. Many of the original craft-type stores and specialty shops are long gone, along with the southern charm and warmth. So, to be treated as though my patronage is important and appreciated is both a great feeling, and is becoming more unusual in Gatlinburg. Yes, it is an older hotel, but they keep it clean and do not fumigate the premises with air freshener or other caustic chemicals that many older hotels use. If you are looking for the Hyatt, then stay at the Hyatt. However, if you are looking for a place that makes you feel special, has a unique and close proximity to many amenities, is clean and has no bedbugs (eww), stay at the Edgewater and just relax. I also think that the complimentary beverage in the evening is a very nice touch - rarely seen. Thanks Roberta at the front desk!! You are awesome! Thanks again, John and Melissa from Berea, Ky.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Edgewater. We do appreciate you and your husbands patronage Melissa. I will pass along your comments to our staff, especially Roberta. We look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the Gatlinburg area.