“Nice hotel!”

The Edgewater Hotel
Ranked #18 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We booked a king bed room on the river side. We were given a room on the 8th floor. The view of downtown Gatlinburg from the balcony was wonderful. The hotel is old, but the room/bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. The hotel is very close to all downtown attractions/restaurants - just walk across a parking lot and you are on the parkway. Parking is free and very convenient. Staff were nice and friendly. The free breakfast was very good on Sunday. But there was no egg on Monday. Overall a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a river side room if you want a view of the downtown.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Edgewater. I'm glad that your stay was enjoyable and appreciate your comments. We look forward to hosting you again when travel plans bring you back to the Gatlinburg area.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Hotel was very nice. The rooms were a little small and my mountain view was blocked by the indoor pool. The breakfast was great, hot and cold. The staff were very nice. The location was perfect. You're not quite in the middle of everything but then again you are. only one block from skylift. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kellymas73
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for choosing the Edgewater for your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and appreciate your review. We look forward to hosting you again when travel plans bring you back to the Gatlinburg area.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The staff are great. That includes house keeping and front desk. The rooms were a bit dated and small, but very clean and nice. The internet was really slow. I don't like to be on very long when on a trip. I like to get on do what I have to do and get off. I was on it a bit longer than I would have liked because it was so slow. But at least they had it in the rooms, which some of the hotels do not.

They did have a free breakfast but it wasn't that great. First day they had hard boiled eggs, which were pretty good but I think most people prefer the scrambled. The second day didn't have any eggs, and I was thinking that the hard boiled eggs were great at that point. They had biscuits and sausage both mornings but even with the syrup provided for the waffles they were pretty bland and tasteless. There was some donuts holes, yogurt and granola to add to it, a few different versions of "flake" style cereal and oatmeal. They did have two waffle makers. The first morning I waited in line to get a waffle and split with my daughter because I didn't want to hold the line up even longer for the people behind me waiting. The waffle was really good. But the second morning there was a LARGE group of young ladies who all came down in the p.j.'s and took up the entire breakfast bar line. It was difficult to get to anything. The Edgewater does have a really nice breakfast area set up with lots of tables, however they could use to add another table (they certainly have the space) for the waffle makers and also a couple more of the waffle makers. Two simply does not service that size of a hotel. Even the first morning you had to wait in a line to make your waffle. And the line to make the waffles cuts off the table with the sausage and biscuits. Its just not a good set up. I realize its a free breakfast and you can't complain too much, but then again, the room wasn't exactly that cheap so breakfast is factored into the price.

The pool was decent, and a really cute idea the way its set up with an indoor and outdoor area. But it needs to be lit a bit better on the inside. And like most other hotels in Gatlinburg, the pool area is small. There was a game room that appeared to be nice but my kids don't play those kind of games. And the vending machines sold ice cream which I thought was really cool.

The location was good. I dont think there are too many hotels that are right smack bad on the Parkway, and this one has a pretty short walk. When you walk out of the hotel, cross the street, walk through a parking lot, you find yourself pretty much dead center of the Parkway which was fantastic. And next to the hotel is a haunted house thats not to bad priced. My two teenage girls walked to it themselves and really liked it.

I see a lot of people complain about the elevators. Yes, the wait can take awhile, but honestly, its not that big of an inconvenience and to me, is not exactly a make it or break it deal.

All in all I thought it was a decent hotel and I would stay there again if I couldn't find another decent hotel at a better rate.

Room Tip: Lots of people say the rooms facing the mountain arent as nice. We must have been lucky, ours was ok...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Edgewater. All of your comments and insights are appreciated. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will choose the Edgewater again when you are next in the Gatlinburg area.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

WE had stayed here about 15 years ago and boy, were we in for a surprise! They had undergone a complete renovation and all the rooms were perfect! I called while we were on the way to Gatlinburg because we had stayed there and I had a coupon in one of those travel books that you pick up a gas station and I am glad I did. The rate they quoted me before I told them I had a coupon saved me $20.00.. so by all means pick one of those up. We only thought we were staying one night but, we had so much fun, we decided to stay another night. They only had one room available at the time and because we were traveling with another couple, we needed another room.The lady at the front desk called 10 places looking for me another place to stay{How many places would do that?} While I was standing there, another room became available! We had to move rooms, but that was no inconvenience to us. We loved this place, they had a great hot breakfast. You can ask for the creekside or a mountainside room...I had to opt for a mountainside both times. I have stayed there when you stayed on the creekside and it is very nice! You can open your doors to your balcony and hear the running water which is devine! They also have a new program, which if you stay there, three different times, your fourth stay is on them! I loved everything about this stay and can't wait to go back! You are staying right in downtown Gatlinburg and can walk to everything!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thegrayhair

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Edgewater. We're glad your stay was enjoyable and look forward to hosting you again when travel plans bring you back to Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Had a jacuzzi suite next to the mountain side. Beautiful! Loved the indoor/outdoor pool. Such a beautiful place and friendly workers! Very close to everything but not too close. Very quiet. Will be coming back very soon! Highly recommended!

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Larry B
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Edgewater. I'm glad that you enjoyed your room with a Jacuzzi and I appreciate your comments. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you again when travel plans bring you back to the Gatlinburg area.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel has the perfect mix of location, view from city side balcony, nice clean rooms, parking arrangements (parking garage), and included decent breakfast. The staff is very helpful and will do what they can to accommodate your requests. My family only stays here and we have no desire to go anywhere else. The biggest complaint is the slow elevators, but really I am very seldom ever greatly pleased by a hotels elevators. Definitely worth waiting a few extra minutes for elevators.

Room Tip: You have to get a room on the city side if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Brian A

Thank you for your review of the Edgewater. We appreciate your patronage and your comments. We look forward to hosting a future visit for you when travel plans bring you back to Gatlinburg.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a great hotel. Nice rooms with a view. Right on the river. The hotel has a parking garage which is a great bonus in Gatlinburg. Everything downtown is pretty much all in walking distance. And with free parking for guests at the hotel its a really nice set up. The rooms are always nice the staff is awesome. We have stayed there three times and never had a bad stay. This hotel is the best for being clean, kind, and value. Look no further!

Room Tip: The rooms on the front side have a nice view of the river, town, and mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank B I

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Edgewater. Your positive comments are appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again when travel plans bring you back to Gatlinburg.
Best Regards