“Not good.....” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Nashville
“Not good.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

I read all these great reviews thinking this would be perfect for a couple of nights of solo business travel; I was wrong! I have no problems with older hotels looking their age but they should definitely not smell their age! The smell was so bad it was nauseating. Once you get past that you get to the door to your room and it is simply a wood door you would find inside a home; was a huge safety concern for me since I was alone. Then to top this off the walls are so paper thin I heard everything the obnoxcious people next to me were saying while they were up carrying on til 3am! I have stayed at bad places and can usually get over it if it is just me, but this time I couldn't; I cut my stay there short and booked another hotel for the second night. I also do not think it was as clean as everyone is making it out to be, there was rust and what looked to be mold in my bathroom. I would never take children to this place because of cleanliness and the major safety concern with the doors. That being said I would not return, but the staff was friendly.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Momma2A_n_D
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Momma2A_n_D,
I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. Seeing as this is a 76 year old building, some things come with age. As I am sure you were told by our staff, we are beginning some renovations in January that will address some of the issues you mentioned. We will be replacing the carpeting in all the rooms as well as taking down the wallpaper, painting, and changing the doors. I hope that you pointed these issues out to one of our staff memebers so that the issues could be rectified. I sincerely hope that you will not let this experience stop you from coming back and giving us another chance to prove that we are the hotel that we strive to be.

I Sincerely Apologize,
Gary L. Bailey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Kissimmee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at the Gatlinburg Inn the last week of October. It is an old hotel with lots of character. The front desk clerks were super helpful. The room was all wood panel facing the front parking lot. We had a balcony with two rocking chairs. Even though there was lots going on in town, the room was quiet. We slept well.

The entrance to the Smokey Mountains is down the street from the hotel. The leaves were changing color and the drive through the Smokeys was beautiful.

1 Thank EMMNov2013
EMMNov2013,
Thank you for your beautiful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I must agree. The changing of the leaves this year was extraordinary! I am pleased to see that you were satisfied with your stay! I hope you will come back again in the near future and let us host you and your family again!

MIAMI FLORIDA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed 5 nights here abd booked based on reviews found here.I was very happy with my stay. I had a King room with sofa. My room faced the rear of the building. There was a nice balcony with two rocking chairs which provided a view of the chair lift located adjacent to the hotel and is lighted at night offering a great view. The room was large and included a nice desk-make up area and large 40 in flat screen TV.Half the room is covered in high quality maple wood paneling and the other half in old world wall paper with pictures and little sayings hung around the room. The bed was very comfortable.However,It needs bigger and plusher pillows as the ones provided are small and like pancakes. I recommend requesting extra pillows or bringing your own if possible. Furthermore, the drapes are not the black out type commonly found in most hotels but instead a tightly woven sheer type which doesnot block out the sun light in the morning nor the porch lights around the resort which remain on all night. There is a limited amount of electrical outlets in the room. which makes charging things challenging when you want to use several things at once. The carpet in the room is 70ish multi color print in could shape but needs updating.The bath room is decent size and offered plenty of light and room but is need of updating. The shower head to mounted too low on the wall and requires anyone more then 5ft to bend over to wash your hair and rinse off. Also the wall paper is coming loose in the seems and begining to peel, The tolet paper holder is mounted against the same wall as the tolet which is akward. i also noticed the walls are then and you can here others in there rooms. There is renovation scheduled for early next yr which will update the lobby and rooms and should address most of these issues.
Overall the hotel is charming,warm, and inviting. The employees were welcoming and always had a smile and said hello.The lobby and front porch always had guests relaxing chating with friends,having coffee etc. So when you return from a day out it was like returning home. Location is about halfway on the parkway making most attractions and resturants within walking distance to most attractions. Parking can be a real issue so this is important and even the parking at the resort can become full. I was pleasently surprised however afer returning one evening to find a hotel employee assiting with parking and directed us to the back of the building where there was additional parking and even helped us back out the next morning. A free Continental breakfest is served every morning till 10am. i would stay here again without a doubt. There is renovation scheduled for early next yr which will update the lobby and rooms.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LOST_N_TRAVEL007
LOST_IN_TRAVEL007,
Thank you so much for your informative review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! First off let me say that I am glad to see that my staff met your every need. I will pass your gratitued along. We are set to begin the reservation in January. We will doing some major updates to the room, including replacing the carpet. We look forward to your return after the renovations, and I hope you like the updates!

Louisville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is an old historical Inn. You have to be aware of that fact and choose accordingly. There are no frills, thrills or extras. Now having cleared the air, the service, cleanliness, price and location coupled with free parking was priceless. This Inn has to be a little known secret. Its location on the parkway is convienant to all the shops and restaurants. Most of the guests are seniors so the place is very quiet. This was my first visit but will not be my last!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank vjbmercy
vjbmercy,
Thank you for letting the secret out about the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to tell the world of the wonderful service you recieved while staying here at this historical gem! I hope that you will come back in the near future and let us host you and your family again!

Franklin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I agree with most of the other reviews. I give a 4 star rating based on the fact that you are dealing with an area that was developed YEARS ago. Most of the hotels that are conveniently located are OLD. This particular one is old - with some historic charm. And it is clean. It is well situated on the Gatlinburg "strip" and everything you might want to see is within easy walking distance. On our last visit we stayed at Zodor's Inn (which I also liked for many reasons) but it is at one far end of the strip and requires much more walking. It is on a beautiful quiet stream though....

When it comes to this tiny little area at the foot of the Smokies, it pays to do your research to make sure you get what you are looking for. There's a lot of "good, bad, and ugly." Zodors and Gatlinburg Inn are both GOOD - but different in location and nature. At Gatlinburg Inn we stayed in rooms 249 and 250 - a family suite - and it suited us perfectly. There are lots of rooming options so call and ask the front desk staff what's available. Rooms fronting the strip are probably better. Ours faced the back of the strip and had a view of the chair-lift. It also had a view of a Haunted Mansion which played loud, really loud, eerie music most of the day. That said, noise is something to expect if you are right on the strip.

The folks who worked there were very friendly. The free breakfast was above average for the area... Free convenient parking... We didn't use the pool during our stay - it is rather small and right under the chair lift.

If you are interested in the toiletries offered - they provide the bare minimum... as did Zodors...
Bring your own favorites. No restaurant on site - but many within easy walking distance. Family friendly. This is a party town at times - but this establishment felt safe and secure at all times.

The Inn does have a lot of old-time charm. Not antique - but quaintly nostalgic old - yet clean!

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Ask for advice from the staff as there are many room options.
1 Thank Ann C
Ann C,
Thank you for your positive review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We try our best to ensure the cleanliness of this historic masterpiece! From the antique furniture to our brand new mattress we want all of our guests to feel at home while having their every need accomodated. I am pleased to see that my staff treated you well. I am very proud of the staff I have in place. I hope that you will come back and let us host you again real soon!

South Lebanon, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Gatlinburg Inn was a great place to stay, we stay there several times in the past and as of last week we stayed there again, to our surprise they had done some upgrades which was great to see. Now you can have a continual breakfast, all the beds had new mattress on them, coffee anything you want in lobby area. The nicest people you would ever want to meet and every helpful. We were sorry to here the passing of the owner that had been there from the start of the INN. Great to see all the changes, clean friendly and most of all very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: we like the second floor that faces to main road so you can set out on the balcony see the main stri...
1 Thank 78Vicki2013
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
78Vicki2013,
Thank you so much for you wonderful review of the Inn. We enjoyed hosting you! I am glad to see that your found our recent additions to be helpful (breakfast, new mattresses, etc.). I hope that you will continue to allow us to take care of your family when you come to the Smokies!

McDonough, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

just got back from our 3rd stay at the Gatlinburg Inn. It's still super clean, and has the best location in town. But now, they have WIFI, contential breakfast, and flat screen t.v.!! the breakfast area is really nice, the selection was very good. eggs, sausage, biscuits/gravy, make it yourself waffles, and pastries. in the past, it was really old fashioned, every thing done on paper, and the housekeeping staff wearing uniforms. now, it's more relaxed with other improvements on the way

Room Tip: they offer AARP discounts, be sure and ask.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
thomas451,
Thank you for your kind words about the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We are trying our best to bring in some modern conveniences while keeping its historic charm! We hope that you will continue to allow us to be your home in the Smokies!