“What a Christmas disappointment!”
Review of Gatlinburg Inn

Gatlinburg Inn
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 27 December 2013

After convincing my 2 teenage children, busy over-worked husband and parents to take a last minute Christmas trip to visit Dollywood and enjoy the lights in Gatlinburg I can honestly say our entire group have never been so disappointed! First I must say Dollywood was amazing and everyone enjoyed the beautiful decorations and hospitality of the staff that worked there. Most of our group have stayed at Gatlinburg Inn and enjoyed prior visits. However, this stay was a total disaster! The hotel rooms do not have the option to adjust temperatures so it was unbearably hot in both our rooms. I called to ask for a fan and was told nothing was available. At 10:30 at night after deciding no sleep was in the near future my son and husband headed back home which was a 3 hour drive! When checking out the next morning, my mother and I both expressed our disappointment and were both told "I'm sorry but this weather isn't normal for this time of the
year,". Really????? I can honestly say I've never written a review ever but I wanted to save a family of the same disaster! So unless you plan to travel in perfect weather conditions please find another place to stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Momkath
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Momkath,
I am very sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. As you know this is a 76 year old building and this is only our second year to be open for Christmas. The boiler system that we have, combined with the unseasonably warm weather at the time, is something we have never faced before. We are currently discussing how to rectify this so that this will no longer be an issue for our guests. Again, I am sorry that your stay was not up to the standards that we set for ourselves. I sincerely hope that you will come back and give us another chance to prove that we are truly your home in the Smokies!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

The hotel is located within walking distance of all of the local shops. I can't rave enough about excellent the guest service, all of the employees were very friendly & accommodating. The rooms were clean, housekeeping does a great job. I would suggest updating the heating/air system. It is an older hotel, but I think that adds character & charm. I loved the black & white photos in the lobby. Some rooms have balconies, so you can coffee overlooking the mountains in the morning, which was amazing. Also, they had a hot breakfast, which is always a plus. I would definitely stay again here again upon returning to Gatlinburg.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank JessicaLT
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

JessicaLT,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. Here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn we do our very best to provide each guest the best service possible! Guest service and location are the two things that this historic gem is known for. I hope that you and your family will come back and stay with us again real soon!

Merry Christmas!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed at this property for a week to see the great Christmas lights and parade. When I arrived my mother was there and it was a surprise the best Christmas gift ever. The staff was awesome Kim, Caleb, Julie, Steven and Eddie are just a few I had contact with. On Friday night they had live music in the lobby and she was good. The rooms are dated but it adds character. The rooms are clean and fresh, great job housekeeping. The free breakfast is wonderful Steven and Julie took care of our every need. The location is prime. Thanks for a great stay. You can not buy clean and friendly and ya'll have both. Merry Christmas to Gatlinburg Inn. It only takes a moment to give someone a great memory and ya'll did that for us.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa P
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Lisa P,
Thank you for your absolutely beautiful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We enjoyed having you and your lovely family here! You guys were awesome! I am glad to see that my staff treated you with the upmost respect and that you were fully satisfied with your stay. I hope that you will come back and see us again very soon! Merry Christmas to you as well!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife & I are no strangers with the Inn. (not a motel). From the greeting from Bunny at the front desk to Manager Gary Bailey making sure our needs were attended to, we were totally pleased with our five days at the Inn. We excited about the changes to come this winter with the renovation of the rooms as well as the lobby. We have been coming here since 1973. The tradition will not change as we feel we are " invested in this Inn". Without saying, We echo the positive comments listed earlier.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andy54414
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Andy54414,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I'm glad that we could accomodate you and your family this Thanksgiving! I hope that you will make it a family tradition! Come see us again sometime soon!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We rented 3 rooms for a family trip just after Thanksgiving. Based on reviews, this hotel was the "best bang for the buck." This is an older building and the walls are thin (may not be perfect for romantic get-away). The decor is dated (which gives it extra charm to me), but the entire place is clean, staff friendly & helpful, free full breakfast and the location is central (food, shopping and attractions are with-in short walking distance). This hotel had all amenities needed WiFi, Large Flat screen TV with Cable and Toiletries (even make-up remover pads). Our rooms had a balcony that faced the mountain (fresh air and nice view). Did I mention the hotel staff was superb? I will brag on this... Everyone was very polite and accommodating (even let us check in to one of the rooms early so we could drop our bags and start the walk of the town). This is not the 4-Seasons with spa amenities, but it is charming, clean, comfortable, cozy and in a perfect location.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and not in our room much (just to sleep and shower), so we did not hear foo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LLPinky

LLPinky,
Thank you for taking time out to review our hotel! I'm glad to see that your every need was met during your recent stay with us. I sincerely hope that you and your family will come back and stay with us in the near future so that we can show you that good ole southern hospitality one more time!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My friend and I met in Gatlinburg the Friday after Thanksgiving and stayed in this gem of a hotel for three nights. Our room was clean and spacious and the staff was courteous and helpful. The location is fantastic and within walking distance to everything in dowtown Gatlinburg.

There are several measurements I use to define a great stay. I like friendly staff, to feel welcome and not just a number, fluffy towels and good water pressure. The Gatlinburg Inn has all four. It's decor is older, and carpet is so worn it is now felt...but that is what makes this place so great. You are surrounded by it's history down to the actual keys used to open the rooms.

Room Tip: An historic gem in the middle of all things Gatlinburg.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carolyn T

Carolyn T,
Thank you for taking the time to give our hotel such a wonderful review! I am pleased to see that your stay with us was nothing short of fabulous! As I'm sure you heard, we are about to undergo renovations that will replace the "felt" like carpet, but rest assured, we will not tarnish the pristine condition of this historical masterpiece! I hope that you will come back soon and let us host you and your friend again!

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a great trip to Gatlinburg. Our last visit we stayed in a cabin in the mountains and this time we wanted to be in town. The Gatlinburg in has the best location being right next to the skylift and dead center in town. This hotel is an historic hotel and for people who enjoy history, charm, personal touches and service, and a quaintness that cannot be found in a sterile, empty chain. If you are a person that doesn't like vintage things and charm then you are probably better off at a new chain hotel.
This hotel was exactly what I wanted for this trip; great location, charm, value, and a feeling that I had stepped back a little in time. The furniture and decor are vintage but nothing felt old or dirty. The rooms were spotless and the bathroom free of any hair, dirt, mildew, etc. I love the exposed pipes in the room!! I would never want to see those hidden or the ceiling dropped. I also NEVER noticed any unpleasant odors.
We ate breakfast every morning, which was good. They had biscuits, gravy, eggs, home fries, sausage links, waffles, toast, cereal, etc. They also have four juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate all day long. It was nice to be so close to everything and be able to stop by the room and get some hot chocolate and go back out. Also, there was always fires in the fireplaces in the lobby. Nice to be able to come in and warm up before heading back out. If you like historic hotels/inns, good locations, charm, value, and friendly service, then I think you will be happy here. If you're someone that likes everything brand new and perfect then I would look elsewhere. This place was perfect for what I was looking for!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DanaLfromKY

DanaRod213,
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I am glad to see that you were taken care of while you stayed here with us recently. You are not alone in mentioning the location of the hotel. Many guests brag about never moving their car until it's time to go home. We are excited about getting the breakfast bar up and running. We are exploring some new food options as we go into the new year! I hope that you will come back and allow us to serve you again here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn!