“I loved it until.....”

Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Dawsonville, Georgia
“I loved it until.....”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I visit Gatlinburg pretty regularly. Sometimes, if we have been comped a room by the casino, we will stay in Cherokee and drive up for the day and if not then we will stay in Gatlinburg. Generally we stay at the Hampton Inn because it is super convenient to Ober Gatinlinburg. We did an online search and they were full as was the DoubleTree, Hilton Garden, and the Hilton. My husband called and all the Hilton properties were booked due to a convention that weekend but he was told that Hilton Properties had recently purchased the historic Gatlinburg Inn and that the beds had been updated and the breakfast was now the same as the Hampton. We gave them a call and the quoted price was like $89 so we thought we would give it a try at that price. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very warm and welcoming lady that checked us in even though it was only 11:00. We were given a key (a real key) to our room. The building is not fancy but I found it quite charming. The carpet but an interesting color choice as were the chairs in the room but this hotel was built in 1937. Everything was absolutely as clean as could be. We had a nice little balcony that you could see the chairlift from.

I have to say the location of this hotel is excellent. We are on the go constantly when we visit and this hotel worked out perfectly for that. Everything was absolutely wonderful until it was time to go to sleep. This had to be one of the absolute worst night's sleep that I've ever had or not had. The walls are covered in paneling and I don't think much else because you can hear every word from the rooms on the other side of you, above you, and from everyone in the hallway. I expect a little noise but this was terrible. My husband and I neither one were able to get any sleep and this made for a very long drive home the next day. There is no way that I would ever stay here again and it is all due to the noisiness. When we checked out the next morning, we asked if any kind of sound proofing was going to be done in the renovation and she said that has been brought up many times but they can't figure out a way to do it without completely redoing all the walls and ceilings so it is doubtful. I'm sorry to hear this because we enjoyed our stay otherwise but this was definitely a deal breaker for us.

We didn't try the breakfast because we were a little late getting to it and there wasn't a lot left so we opted to drive over to Pigeon Forge for a bite to eat.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, then I would suggest a room on the top floor that way you at least do...
8 Thank tweis
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
tweis,
I am very sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your recent stay with us here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. I deeply concerns me when our guests are not completely satisfied. I am pleased however to see that you were treated well by our staff. I pride myself greatly in the staff I have in place. As I'm sure you were told, we have just begun renovating. We are trying our best to make sure that our guest's every need is taken into consideration and provisions made. I hope that you will come again and stay with us one more time. We would like one more chance to prove to you that we are your home in the Smokies!

Gary L. Bailey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Ringgold, Georgia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My fiance and I decided to make a quick weekend trip to Gatlinburg for some R&R. We did not have any reservations and were kinda worried that we might not find anything when we arrived. We decided to stop in and inquire at the Gatlinburg Inn. They had an opening and the price was very reasonable. Now this is not your new state of the art hotel. This hotel is one of the oldest in Gatlinburg. The rooms, hallways etc are wallpapered and the rooms have not be updated in years. We thought it had so much charm and we both thought walking down the hall to our room that we had made a mistake. Seemed like something out of a old horror film. We loved it! The room, even though out dated in style is very comfortable and the hotel in right on the main drag in Gatlinburg. We were in walking distance of everything. We shopped, ate and drank at several local establishments and just had an absolute ball.
You need to give this hotel a fair chance. It was like we were in a time warp, and it was simply fantastic. They offer a free breakfast bar and the food was very good.
If staying in downtown Gatlinburg again, we will surely stay at this lovely hotel again.
It is also right next to the sky lift if you are interested in trying some of the fun.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lowogo
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
lowogo,
Thank you so much for your gracious review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I am glad to see that all of your needs were met during your stay with us. You are right. The character of this hotel can't be challenged by any other hotel in the area. I am glad to see that you will be coming back! We look forward to hosting your family again!

Starkville, Mississippi
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Inn Feb. 20, 2014 for a few days and we loved it! Everyone was so nice and friendly. Yes the Inn is old, but that is part of the charm and history of the Inn. Our room was clean and neat, the breakfast was always hot and very good. They are updating the lobby and doing a good job. I know they´ll work around to the rooms as far as carpet and fixtures, but I hope they try to maintain the history of the place. On our next visit, we plan on staying there again.

1 Thank jrb543
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
jrb543,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We were honored to host you and your husband here at our hotel. I am glad to see that all of your needs were taken care of! I am glad to see that my staff was friendly and tried to help you in any way possible. If I can brag for just a moment I do have a great staff! We are undergoing renovations but we ARE NOT going to let those effect the historical charm of this downtown masterpiece! We want to try our very best to accomodate the needs of the guests while maintaining its historical value and character. I am pleased to see that you will be making us your "Home in the Smokies"! We look forward to hosting you again!

Come Back Soon!
Alabama
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights during the Valentine weekend. We love this old place and we know we will love it even more now that a new management company is doing some updates. I only hope they do not lose the charm and quaint feeling of this old hotel. It does need some updates, but please keep the charm. The front desk staff (all of them), were very nice and helpful. For those looking for a modern, sleek hotel, this is not for you. But if you like charm and history, come on in. We have stayed there for years and will continue to do so. I look forward to seeing the changes. And FYI, they did have luggage carts when we stayed there. I saw some posts about the lack of carts but we had one during check in and check out. Thanks for a wonderful weekend visit.

Room Tip: We like the rooms facing the rear of the hotel, but the ones on the front face the "main drag...
3 Thank motherofthebride23
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
motherofthebride23,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We enjoyed hosting you and your husband over the Valentine's Weekend! We hope that it was certainly one you will never forget! We are trying our best to update the Inn without losing the wonderful charm and friendly atmosphere that she embodies. I sincerely appreciate your kind words about the staff. We try our very best to make sure that every guest's needs are accomodated and their expectations are exceeded! We hope that you will come back and stay with us really soon!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I took my mom and my 3 kids for a quick overnight in the Smokies. I read all of the reviews about the Gatlinburg in and decided to change my reservation from another hotel to this one. I reserved the family suite, which was great. It was 2 bedrooms with a shared bathroom. The hotel was quaint and I ADORED the 1960's flair! It was very clean and nice, and there was a great sitting room where my kids and I sat by the fire, played dominoes, and read magazines. I really enjoyed that! When I walked in, I felt like I was staying at my grandma's house, and the location is in the middle of everything!

I didn't find the staff to be overly friendly, like I had read in earlier reviews, although the lady working at checkout was super helpful, but I wished check in would have been more inviting! The breakfast was a mediocre hotel complimentary breakfast.

Many reviews mentioned an old, musty, smell so I packed a can of febreeze in my suitcase and came prepared, honestly, the smell wasn't bad, it was an old smell, nothing gross almost nostalgic. There was a surprising lack of outlets in the rooms, and none in the bathroom which I found interesting, and my room was very cold but had a space heater in the closet, another oddity. Personally, I have a fear of space heaters so I spent a cold night, but at least they are aware there's an issue with the temperature of the room, although no one mentioned it to me at check in.

All in all, the location was great, the nostalgia was awesome, and depending on travel times, the price was good! I would definitely stay there again and would suggest it to others, in fact, I think mom and dad are going to plan a trip there soon!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MsTravelingCircus
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
MsTravelingCircus,
Thank you for your great review of the Gatlinburg Inn! I am glad that we could host you, your mother, and your children. I hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you that we are truely your home in the Smokies!

Russellville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This was our first time staying at Gatlinburg Inn. It was our delayed anniversary trip. A lot of history here. The room was cozy and the bed was great. We enjoyed the sitting room with the fireplace going as it was cold outside. The staff couldn't have been nicer and we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Have already booked again in August for my wife's birthday.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barry W
Barry W,
Thank you so much for your very kind review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We enjoyed hosting you & your wife! I am thrilled to see that you were taken care of by my staff. We look forward to seeing you again this August!

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My family and I stayed here for our weekend trip in Gatlinburg. I have never been to such a beautiful,well kept hotel ever! Upon checking in, we realized there were no luggage carts. So my husband and I and our 2 kids decided to make several trips back to the car. I realized an employee was watching us from the lobby. When we entered the lobby he said "I'll be glad to help you folks with your luggage.'' Wonderful hospitality and we had not even been in the door a minute! So he helped us with the three trips we had to make to our car. He even brought my kids behind the front desk and gave them black bear stickers. When we entered our room I was very pleased. I saw 2 extra blankets in the closet, and extra wash rags and towels in the bathroom. I'm happy that the hotel thinks of families who might use more than others. Unlike EVERY hotel I've stayed in I have had terrible mattresses and dirty pillowcases or sheets.This hotel had a very comfortable bed and very clean sheets and comforters. When we went down to breakfast the next morning, I realized they had a very quaint little breakfast station and it was very clean and well kept. Their biscuits and gravy were scrumptious. (I even took some ziploc bags from my room and took some upstairs for a snack!) This hotel also has wonderful staff! The housekeeping is always happy to accommodate you and the front desk employees are very informative and professional. Surrounding hotels need to take notes from this hotel before they hire! I've stayed in hotels in the area and the management and employees are either rude or very unprofessional. BY FAR THIS IS THE BEST HOTEL IN TENNESSEE! STOP HERE ON YOUR NEXT VACATION TO THE SMOKIES! YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!!!!

Room Tip: Try to request rooms on the 4.th floor. Mostly vacant and much quiter for better sleep quality.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank iluvcilla
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
iluvcillia,
Thank you so much for your verry gracious review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family! I am glad to see that you were treated well by our staff. As their manager, I am very pleased with their performance and high degree of professionalism and hospitality. We don't try we guarentee that each guests stay is found to be 100% satisfactory. Again, I thank you for your kind words. Throughout my years in the Hospitality Industry I have found that feedback from valued customers like you is what makes our business thrive! I hope that you will come back and see us very soon!