“Great place to stay - perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gatlinburg Inn

Gatlinburg Inn
Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Danville, Virginia
“Great place to stay - perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Family enjoyed 4 days at Gatlinburg Inn ( March 16-20th 2014).
Here are our pros and cons:
PROS:
Great location! We could easily walk everywhere. Central location in center of town.
Very very comfortable beds in both rooms.
Great front desk staff. Very friendly and helpful. Really neat older lady made us feel like we were staying at grandma's house.
Very very clean. I've stayed at more modern hotels that weren't as clean as this place.
Nice breakfast buffet. Nice large screen TVs in rooms and very good free internet service.
Rooms far enough off the street not to be bothered by traffic noise or pedestrians talking.
Staying there was like stepping back in time. Wide hallways, very good ice machines, front porch rocking chairs, nice den/sitting area with fireplace, and you get a real room key. I'll probably never experience this again as I'm sure this one of the last of its kind.
CONS:
Renovations underway. While this was not a problem for us you should be aware so you could request a room away from renovations. A room near us was being renovated and with the exception of a few muffled noises at lasted less than 10 minutes, you would never have known otherwise. When we did run into renovation workers, they were very nice and polite and generally stayed out of the way of the guest.
I plan to go back this summer and will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank VCSloan
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
VCSloan,
Thank you so much for your kind review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We are under renovations to raise the bar for what is already the best hotel in Gatlinburg! I am glad to see that you were taken care of! Come back and stay with us again real soon!

Gary L. Bailey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The hotel is OK, it would be perfectly acceptable, nice location... A little run-down, but the price is fair. Plus the staff is very, very nice. BUT they should definitely improve on the cleanliness! We got in and found hair on the bathtub!!! Ugh... The next day, after the cleaning crew had been there, the tub was still awful, they did not replace our coffe-cups or give us more coffee. And the horrible surprise: I was bitten by bed-bugs!!!
Also, they should do something about the noisy trash collection that takes place at 4 AM, everyday, nextdoors (or is it their own? not sure).
Breakfast is included and very decent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Carioca001
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Carioca001,
I want to apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. First, I would like to address the bed bug issue. We immediately had two upper level management personnel inspect the room you occupied during your stay. We found no signs of bed bugs. Secondly, there is never an excuse to have a problem with cleanliness and we take great pride in making sure each room is properly cleaned and prepared for each upcoming guest. We failed in this aspect and I want to sincerely apologize. It is my desire that you give us another try to earn back your business. I would love to discuss this with you further and I ask that you call me at (865) 436-5133 at your earliest convenience.

Gary L. Bailey,
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend. It is a cute historic charmer. The room was very clean. The location was perfect-we could walk to everything. The staff are very friendly and smiling. The first evening our room was just a tad bit warm. We asked the front desk staff for a fan, and we had one within minutes. I will definitely stay at Gatlinburg Inn again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank April D
April D,
Thank you so much for your great review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We were honored to host you and your family! I am pleased to see that you were completely satisfied with your stay! I hope that you will come back and stay with us again sometime soon!

Murphy, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We wanted a place close to the new Sugarlands Distillery for the grand opening. I researched a lot of hotel/motels in the area and settled on the Gatlinburg Inn, mainly for the location at first. I had several friends and family ask where we were staying, and they made reservations too based on my recommendation. Once we arrived, I knew I'd made the right choice. The place gives you a feel of the bygone era of the mountain lodges from the 50-60's. Everything is time period dated, but clean. From the exposed fire sprinkler pipes to the cobblestone floors in the hallway and lobby, this place has character. If you want super fancy and modern, don't stay here. But, if you want a relaxing experience, book a room here. Glenda and the rest of the staff were great. We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, away from the main street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank flatbroke61
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
flatbroke61,
Thank you so much for your very kind review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and the whole Sugarlands gang! We hope that you will continue to allow us to be your home in the Smokies!

Fultondale, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

the location is great... we could walk anywhere we wanted... we stayed at Thanksgiving as were there for their tree trimming! just like we did when we were kids! there was Christmas music & hot apple cider and cookies... YUMMY. yes, the hotel is older, needs some updating of decor, but the beds were recently replaced, the beds were soft! the linens were spotless... the bathroom was a little tiny, but we didn't care! the balcony gave us a view of the chairlift. the only suggestion I feel they need a small refrigerator in the room. The wi-fi was wonderful! no problem connecting... definitely recommend.

Room Tip: actually, we didn't partake of room service or the fitness center,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy K
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Judy K,
Thank youf ro your wonderful review of this downtown historic gem! We are currently under renovations to alleviate some of the issues that you discussed. I sincerely hope that you and your family will come back and stay with us again real soon!

Scottsboro, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Love this place. Have been staying here since the 1960's with my parents. Now my husband and I come twice a year and would not stay anywhere else. Love the location....can walk anywhere I want. Or just sit on front porch and people watch. Keep up the good work!!!! See ya in May...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MPStewart
MPStewart,
First of all I would like to thank your for your many years of dedication to the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! Since we aquired this property almost a year ago we have found that our return guests are the heartbeat of this historic gem. We pride ourselfs on taking the feedback that you, the customers, give us and using it as a barometer for the changes we implement. I thank you for your kind words about the Inn and we look forward to hosting your family for many generations to come!

Dawsonville, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I visit Gatlinburg pretty regularly. Sometimes, if we have been comped a room by the casino, we will stay in Cherokee and drive up for the day and if not then we will stay in Gatlinburg. Generally we stay at the Hampton Inn because it is super convenient to Ober Gatinlinburg. We did an online search and they were full as was the DoubleTree, Hilton Garden, and the Hilton. My husband called and all the Hilton properties were booked due to a convention that weekend but he was told that Hilton Properties had recently purchased the historic Gatlinburg Inn and that the beds had been updated and the breakfast was now the same as the Hampton. We gave them a call and the quoted price was like $89 so we thought we would give it a try at that price. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very warm and welcoming lady that checked us in even though it was only 11:00. We were given a key (a real key) to our room. The building is not fancy but I found it quite charming. The carpet but an interesting color choice as were the chairs in the room but this hotel was built in 1937. Everything was absolutely as clean as could be. We had a nice little balcony that you could see the chairlift from.

I have to say the location of this hotel is excellent. We are on the go constantly when we visit and this hotel worked out perfectly for that. Everything was absolutely wonderful until it was time to go to sleep. This had to be one of the absolute worst night's sleep that I've ever had or not had. The walls are covered in paneling and I don't think much else because you can hear every word from the rooms on the other side of you, above you, and from everyone in the hallway. I expect a little noise but this was terrible. My husband and I neither one were able to get any sleep and this made for a very long drive home the next day. There is no way that I would ever stay here again and it is all due to the noisiness. When we checked out the next morning, we asked if any kind of sound proofing was going to be done in the renovation and she said that has been brought up many times but they can't figure out a way to do it without completely redoing all the walls and ceilings so it is doubtful. I'm sorry to hear this because we enjoyed our stay otherwise but this was definitely a deal breaker for us.

We didn't try the breakfast because we were a little late getting to it and there wasn't a lot left so we opted to drive over to Pigeon Forge for a bite to eat.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, then I would suggest a room on the top floor that way you at least do...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank tweis
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
tweis,
I am very sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your recent stay with us here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. I deeply concerns me when our guests are not completely satisfied. I am pleased however to see that you were treated well by our staff. I pride myself greatly in the staff I have in place. As I'm sure you were told, we have just begun renovating. We are trying our best to make sure that our guest's every need is taken into consideration and provisions made. I hope that you will come again and stay with us one more time. We would like one more chance to prove to you that we are your home in the Smokies!