“Don't go if it is spring”
Review of Gatlinburg Inn

Gatlinburg Inn
Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Carlisle, Arkansas
“Don't go if it is spring”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Made reservations in advance so as not to have to look for a place to stay where arriving in town. When we got into town it was rainy and very cool with a wind. Didn't want to get the luggage wet, so went ahead and checked in. Went up to the room and it was very cool, about 64 degrees. I advanced the thermostat to about 78 and nothing happened. Went back to the front desk and told them the heat wasn't working in the room. I was informed that this time of year the heating/cooling system is either set for heat or AC. It had was set for AC and they would be happy to loan us a space heater for the room. For the price I was paying for the room I said it was unacceptable and had them take the room off my card and found another motel that had heat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Suranmo
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Suranmo,
It troubles me to hear that you were not satisfied with your recent visit with us here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. We are currently under renovation and we are trying our best to address the issues that you addressed. Due to our age and formerly being closed during the time of year that you stayed with us, we didn't forsee this coming until it was already here. However, we are trying our best to fix it. I hope that you and your family will come back and give us another chance. We would love to be your home in the Smokies!

Gary L. Bailey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Shelbyville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed in room 107 newly renovated slept like a baby. We brought a fan to cover some noise from renovations. The location was perfect especially for older people.Our room had no view but large front porch with padded rockers. We will be back love the charm and location. Every employee very friendly.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Pam B
Pam B,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of this downtown historic gem! We enjoyed hosting your family during your recent trip to Gatlinburg! Thank you for your kind words about our staff. I will pass it along to them. I truely believe that we have the greatest staff in Gatlinburg working here! I hope that you will come back real soon and allow us to host your family again! Hope to see you soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Hotel is in a great location, it does have alot of history and the staff were really friendly and helpful BUT it was just not for me.

Place had an odor about it, and the walls and floors are wafer thin.

We stayed in room 256 and had the unfortunate pleasure to be staying under a family that did not want to sleep. Every time they moved we were woken!! Not very relaxing!

The decor is historic but to me its just old and worn. It is clean but for the price we paid it was just not worth it.

Not for me, nor would I recommend it. Lovely people though!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet go on a higher floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rue14
Rue14,
I'm sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with your recent stay with us here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. As I'm sure you were told by our staff the we are currently under renovations to address some of the issues that you had. I sincerely hope that you will come and stay with us again! We would like another chance to prove to you that we are your home in the Smokies!

nc coast
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have been coming to Gatlinburg two or three times a year since 1975! I have stayed at many different places but on my most recent trip I chose to stay at The Gatlinburg Inn and I have found my home away from home! The hotel was built in 1932 so it is a little old but you would never know it if they didn't tell you.

The whole place is just awesome and the staff really makes you feel right at home. The breakfast is one of the best I have had anywhere and plenty of it! It is right in the middle of town so once you park you can walk to everything!

I just can't say enough good about this place. If you are visiting Gatlinburg, I wouldn't recommend staying anywhere else. If you do you will be disappointed! Really!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NcHarleyman
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
NcHarleyman,
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! You're right! This place has more history than anywhere in town! We are currently under renovations but we are not trying to change the historical aspect of the hotel we are only trying to preserve her historical integrity!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Very quaint and has lots of character. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Lots of history here at this Inn. Convenient to everything but can be noisy at night due to nightlife downtown. Currently undergoing some room renovations with carpet,wallpaper and drapes. Good morning breakfast included with rate. We think the king suite room 229 is best on the property. Give it a try.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Drbizzell
Drbizzell,
Thank you for taking time to review the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure hosting you and your family! 229 is one of our best suites! I am glad to see that you loved it! I will pass your compliments along to my staff! I hope you come back and stay with us again in the near future!

Hartwell, GA
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Location is awesome! Right on the strip in walking distance to most everything. The hotel itself, is really old and historic, ton of history in the photographs in the halls and common areas. We had a king bedroom with a balcony on the back of hotel. You could hear the music from the mysterious mansion, which it didn't bother us, we got a kick out of occasionly hearing people scream and run from it. We sat on the balcony quiet a bit, weather was nice. We didn't have any issue with hearing the rooms next door, but we are heavy sleepers.

We would definetly stay there again!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lakehartwellgirl
lakehartwellgirl,
Thank you so much for your kind review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure hosting you and your family! It thrills me to see that your every need was taken care of! I hope that you and your family will come back and stay with us again in the very near future!

Canton, GA
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I like the homey feel of the Gatlinburg Inn. It smells like a grand old house, much like when we visited the Biltmore Estate and such places. The staff is incredibly friendly. If you stay here though you have to accept that the place is old. If wood panels walls and shaggy carpet is not okay with you, then this may not be your cup of tea. The walls are rather thin so you hear the people in the next room and the garbage truck picking up trash at the place next door around 4AM. You can also hear the music from the Mysterious Mansion, across the street. The room with two queen beds was really a room with two double beds. The pillows, although they may have been down, were very flat. The WiFi is atrocious. However it is a great old place and it seemed clean. I needed to work while I was there, so I had an issue with the undependable WiFi. The sitting room has the pictures of the owners and the family members and I found this quite a nice thing. I could feel the history. If you're not fussy and you don't need to work and you want to stay in a home that has lots of history then this is a good place. The location is the best. Just walk down the driveway and you are in the thick of things. I liked just rocking on the front porch. Gatlinburg Inn has it pros and cons. It depends on what you must have on your vacation.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side of the hotel next to the other buildings, (try for the side with the street...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Afar31
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Canton_GA,
Thank you for your review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. We do appreciate you choosing us during your recent stay in Gatlinburg. Yes we are a historic property. Yes we are dated. But I'm sure that you were told about our current renovations. We are painting the walls, replacing the carpet, and trying our best to bridge the gap between what was and what is now. We hope that you will come back and give us another chance to prove to you that we are your home in the Smokies!