“Awesome!!!!!!”
Review of Gatlinburg Inn

Gatlinburg Inn
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Hello trip advisor readers, We are Mark & Becky from Indiana and we want to take the time to tell everyone about our recent stay at the Gatlinburg Inn on June 1st and June 2nd.

A mentor of mine taught me the purpose of a memory is to replay the past, and that a dream is to pre-play the future. The next generation of the Maples family is doing just that!

We both love to see history preserved and I must say that the Maples family would be proud to the changes that are taking place at this wonderful old hotel.

Since 1937 the family has built a reputation and a landmark in the area, we met Jack, one of the owners/grandchildren in the parking lot today and complimented him on the outstanding service of the staff and the progress of the early renovations that are taking place here.
American owned and operated cannot have a price attached to it!
I remember walking by this place when visiting with my parents in the early and mid 70's and admiring it, I'm now 47 and reminisce of my earlier years to the area.
The decor is a great reminder of the years past as well as the pictures on the wall in the main hall of it's earlier years and changes been through.

For those of you that say it's dated you would be correct, however they have been adding modern touches, new carpet, drapes, bedding, flat screen tv's and wireless internet are a few early ones. We heard the bathrooms are on the list too and cannot wait to see them finished.

Those of you that might have read reviews that it's noisy, get over it, we stayed in room 127 and heard creaks in the floor, faint sounds from above or next door, but that's the character and charm of an older 1940 something hotel.

We had a nice view overlooking the Sky Lift and the river road from our balcony last night and had the best nights sleep since being on the road since Saturday May 24th.
We felt like part of the family around the staff and owners.

For those of you that visited years ago I have to tell you that they now have a great hot breakfast served up daily, my advice is get up early and enjoy.
Take some time, sit on the front porch and enjoy the view and hospitality.

The hotel has served the area for many years and has been well maintained and is now seeing a metamorphosis that will preserve it's place hopefully for the next seventy plus years as a true Gatlinburg landmark!

Mark & Becky Eldridge

• Stayed: June 2014
10  Thank Rudy045
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

rudy045,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I see you did your homework on us! It thrills me to see guests get so involved in the history of this grand hotel. It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! I hope that you will come and stay with us again real soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We wanted to see the Great Smokies and take a hike in the park. Gatlinburg seemed the right location, just on the eastern boarder of the park entrance.

What separates two completely different worlds - Gatlinburg and the National Park - is the last traffic light in town. And what separates the Gatlinburg Inn from the rest of town is a big lawn surrounded by a boarder of well kept blooming rose bushes and a nice pool set back 30 yards or so in this parklike yard. Well, there is the large parking lot as well. But none of it is quite enough to remove the guests from the din of carnival like activity that lines the 4 lane blvd and sidewalks crammed with cars and people checking out the Ripley's Believe it or not, trinket shops, Mansion of Mystery (which is open until 11 and blasting the Adams Family Theme Song among other scary tunes) and a multitude of other retail and amusement vendors.
The Inn is clean and comfortable. You might need a reservation for a seat in one of the front porch rocking chairs. Folks are nice here. It is dated. I wish I could go back in time when the Inn was young and no one new anything about a Ripley's Believe It Or Not

Room Tip: try to get a room in the center of the building on the back side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Neil F
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Neil F,
Thank you for your review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It thrills me to see that you were satisfied with every aspect of the hotel. We try our very best to be that safe haven for you in the center of Gatlinburg. A place that you can retreat from all the is going on in town and relax. I hope that you and your family will come back and stay with us again in the very near future!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at the Gatlinburg Inn. We were very pleased! The location is excellent- it's beside of the sky lift, a block from old smoky mtn moonshine & winery, shares a parking lot with Puckers bar, and across the street from Crawdaddys Oyster Bar. This is where you want to stay if you are looking for a motel that is in the middle of downtown Gatlinburg.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is very good. The rooms are very clean. The corner king with wraparound balcony is awesome and I would recommend staying in it (room 243). It has a view of the strip and the mountain behind.

The motel is old, but very well kept up. It's very charming. It has a nice pool and tennis courts. We will be staying here again!

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank hellzbert

hellzbert,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host your family! You are not the first to mention how centrally located we are. I do believe we have the best location in town. Hands down! I hope that you and your family will come back and stay with us again real soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We normally book modern hotels for our US trips so were slightly concerned by the oldie-worldie comments from some reviewers and weren't sure what to expect. Absolutely love the place! If you are visiting Gatlinburg and are fed up with standardised, modern hotel, decor then this is definitely worth booking. Staff are excellent, breakfast choice is good and location, location, location! Just 100m off the main shopping strip but far enough away to be nice and quiet. Only thing I'd change is the 60's hard edged, cheap looking, slab sided, counter style desk area - I'm sure that something could be done for not a lot of money - maybe a touch of Art Deco, perhaps?

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CleishPark
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

CleishPark,
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We appreciate you choosing us during your recent stay in Gatlinburg! It was our pleasure to host you and your family! I hope that you will come back and stay with us again very soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We've been coming to Gatlinburg for years and always wondered what this inn was like...wonder no more. Yes, it is dated in some respects, but that's what gives it character and a Nostalgic feel. It is very, very clean, and the king size bed was so comfy. But the biggest selling point is the personnel. They were so accommodating to my unusual requests. Great customer service and southern hospitality! And In the heart of Gatlinburg. We will be back and recommend to others.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Randall T

Randall T,
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! It's the reviews from customers like you that let others know just how great of a place this hotel is! I hope that you and your family will come back and stay with us again real soon!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We booked one night at the Gatlinburg Inn for a place to stay on our way home from Disney and a Cruise. I get a little obsessed choosing lodging sometimes and spent several hours trying to find the right place for our short visit. This Inn was everything other reviewers said and more. The charm and history and uniqueness were what drew me to it and it lived up to that in a big way. The hotel was perfectly clean. Old and nostalgic (you get a KEY to your room!) definitely, but it had everything we needed. Just being there felt comfortable and relaxed. And the staff was absolutely wonderful! We ended up moving our reservation ahead one day and Bunny took care of everything very easily over the phone while we were traveling up. When we got to the Inn around 8 p.m. the clerk was so nice and friendly and so was the clerk in the morning and the breakfast attendant. The free breakfast was very good and far and away so much better than a typical free breakfast you get in mass market hotels like Fairfields, etc.... The food tasted homemade :) Our only regret was staying just one night but we will definitely go back to Gatlinburg for a real visit and when we do I won't have to research hotels at all - I know right where will stay. Thank you for the hospitality!!

Room Tip: Check out the website - it seems a lot of the rooms are different and unique. Pick what suits your...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 25years5409

25years5409,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We greatly enjoyed hosting you and your family here recently and we truely look forward to doing it again! I am glad to see that you were completely satisfied with your stay! I will pass your commendations on to my staff! We hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I recently spent a couple of days in the Gatlinburg area. While there we stayed at Gatlinburg Inn. It had been several years since we last stayed there and while there have been some changes, the Inn still retains it's original historic atmosphere.
We found the Inn to be very clean, the breakfast quite good, and the location just can't be beaten. We will definitely stay there on our next trip to Gatlinburg.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy W
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Judy W,
Thank you so much for your kind review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family again! We're glad you came back! We hope that you, your family, and your friends will continue to allow us to be your home in the Smokies!