“Nostalgia laden”

Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Long Island, NY
“Nostalgia laden”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This hotel took me back to the 50's. Room was all paneling, furniture severely outdated, bathroom needs a serious updating. . . I could go on and on. Despite all this, our room was clean and the hotel is centrally located so you can pretty much walk to everything in Gatlinburg. It was OK for the two nights we were there but I doubt I would stay here again. I heard the person at the front desk telling a customer that they had recently "updated" the rooms with new paint, flat screen tvs and carpeting. Unfortunately, they stopped before they replaced the furniture and putting in new bathrooms. This might have been the place to stay back in the 50's but it's not up to what most people expect in this day and age. I give them points for their free breakfast as it was inviting and had a wide variety of items to choose from.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jet Gal
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Jet Gal,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. I am disappointed to see that your recent stay with us here was not entirely what you had expected. As I'm sure you were told we are the oldest standing hotel in Gatlinburg and we pride ourselves on the history of this hotel. We did just finish remodeling the "sleeping" portion of the guest rooms by painting, new carpet, new 50" flat screens, SERTA Pillowtop mattresses, adding Wi-Fi to the guest rooms, as well as the addition of a full hot breakfast bar included in your rate. We are hoping to remodel the bathrooms this winter once the season slows down. I sincerely hope that you and your family will come back and give us another chance to prove to you that we are your home in the Smokies!

Gary L. Bailey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Groveport, Ohio
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We have stayed here before and have really enjoyed it. This time we did a few different things.

We were only in town for one night and decided to stay here again. Bunny in registration makes are stay complete. She is so helpful and kind. She is one of the reasons we keep coming back .

This hotel was built in 1937 but has been updated. In the lobby, halls and rooms it still looks like the 50's or 60's, but they have been updating the carpets and tv's. The only problem is no microwave or refrigerator. They have a very inviting front porch where you can sit in rocking chairs and people watch and socialize.

I was able to enjoy the outdoor pool this time which sits on the side of the hotel so you can even people watch from the pool. It has a shaded covered area so you don't have to be out in the sun if you don't want to be. The chairlift is right there by the pool but didn't bother me and I even was able to converse with a couple riders. Very relaxing.

I would highly recommend this place to an older generation who would appreciate this type of lodging. Takes me back and reminds me of my childhood and earlier.

I do like the new updates but please don't lose the original charm! You can't beat the location right in the middle of gatlinburgs stip.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room facing the strip with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KimBarnes27
KimBarnes27,
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel! It was our pleasure to host you during your recent stay with us! I am pleased to see that your needs were met while you were here! You aren't the first to mention Bunny! She is one of our guest icons! I hope that you and your family will come back and see us again real soon!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Absolutely enjoyed my stay terrific staff from the supervisor all the way to the helpful bellman , would recommend this place to anyone , they have a wonderful breakfast , very clean and just loved my stay :) very pleased

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Arf2k14
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Arf2k14,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! I am very pleased to see that every aspect of your stay was wonderful and that my staff treated you like royalty! I am very proud of the staff that I have assembled! I hope that your and your family will come back and stay with us again real soon! Thank you for allowing us to be your home in the Smokies!

Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Not the "Ritz",but it is right on the parkway.Very quiet and clean. The breakfast is very good and the staff is friendly. Check out the pictures of the celebrities that have stayed there.We will stay here again. Thank you Gatlinburg Inn.

Room Tip: If you are a people watcher,you want the front of the building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nancy h
nancy h,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! I am pleased to see that every aspect of your stay was more than satisfactory! We look forward to hosting your and your family again real soon! Come on back to your home in the "Smokies"!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 August 2014

When my husband and I checked in, the lady at the front desk was absolutley rude to us. She acted as if our arrival was an inconvience to her. The room however was amazing and the view was unbeatble. After our not so friendly check in, it was very refreshing that this hotel redeemed itself without even trying. It truelly speaks for itself. I understand people have bad days, but it was very uneasy knowing that was how we were welcomed. Every other staff member greeted us with a smile, and so I left our first impression at the door. We will be back, and I do hope that the lady working the check in will be in a better mood next time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heidi H
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Heidi H,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. By reading your review I see that there were some issues with your say, mainly during check-in. Yes, you are right. People do have bad days but that should never effect how they treat a guest. For that I am truly sorry. I have spoken to the Evening Supervisor and that issue has been addressed. I am glad to see that that the rest of your stay was completely satisfactory. I hope that you and your family will return real soon! That you for chosing us to be your home in the Smokies!

Madisonville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

It was stepping back in time to Grandma's house. Very clean. Sitting in the middle of the strip easy walk to were ever you want to go in Gatlinburg. Good breakfast with fresh food. Front desk greets you with a smile. Enjoyed my overnight stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovetotravel0465
lovetotravel0465,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! I hope that you and your family will come back and see us again real soon! It is our pleasure to be your home in the Smokies!

Chepachet
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is a hotel with the looks of Grandma's house fifty years ago. It is homey,clean and has an excellent breakfast. If you are looking for a new, white and bright hotel, this is not your place. This has paneling on the wall, old furniture in the room. The location can't be beat, it is on the main drag,near everything. Will stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank talleyho234
talleyho234,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! I am pleased to see that your were satisfied with your stay. Hope you will come back and see us again real soon!