“clean and convenient!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
McDonough, Georgia
“clean and convenient!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

this was our 1st time staying at the gatlinburg inn. we go to the smokies every year, but decided to stay at the gatlinburg inn this year because of it's location. the rooms were extremely clean. the security officers were very helpful, one even stopped traffic so we could make a left turn out of the parking lot, which is generally impossible. all room have a balcony with rocking chairs, as does the main porch outside the entrance. the beds were comfortable, bathrooms large, and again, extremely clean!! we will difinetly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank thomas451

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Pennington Gap
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

This is a great historic place to stay. Full of history and memories. The inn is very old fashioned, but my wife and I love that about it. It is very unique and quaint. The rooms are super clean but old and nostalgic in appearance. This hotel gives you the feel of days gone by and takes one back to the good ole' days.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LMAM
Birmingham, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

My family has been going to the Gatlinburg Inn for the past 25 years. I now have children of my own and continue to take a yearly trip to Gatlinburg and always stay here. I have stayed in upscale hotels all over the country. I have also stayed in many high end B & B's across the SouthEast. This place trumps them all. You feel like you have stepped back into the 1940's as soon as you enter the front door. Many of the reviews on this site speak of a "musty" smell when you walk in. The smell is not musty. It is a mixture of antique cedar furniture and Pledge used to clean all of the old Appalachian furniture in the "Pioneer Room" located to the right of the entrance. The maids still wear uniforms like you would expect circa 1950. The rooms are CLEAN. They do not allow you to bring food into the hotel as they are dedicated to keeping the rooms immaculate. They have vending machines where you can get drinks and ice. Goose down pillows and chenille blankets adorn all of the beds. Open your door to your balcony at night and let in the fresh mountain air. It is truly wonderful. 24 hour security makes sure that there are no persons not staying in the hotel lingering in the parking lots. They are unashamed to post their Christian beliefs in this hotel. They will turn you away (if you are a couple) and are not married. You cannot stay in the same room if you aren't married. No loud motorcycles, no smoking and no drinking on the premises. This is a place for rest and relaxation and they make sure that you are not bothered with any of the "problems" you encounter at chain hotels. Ms. Maples (in her 80's or 90's) still sits by the front door to welcome her guests every day. She runs a tight ship- but a great ship. If you are looking to take a break from the loud and crowded hotels all over town, step back into the turn of the century at the Gatlinburg Inn.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank kellyef486
DeLand, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

I've stayed in Gatlinburg many times and have seen this hotel from the outside and always though it looked quaint and maybe a little too upscale for me. My wife and I usually travel by motorcycle but were in a car on this trip. The first thing I noticed was a "No Motorcycles Allowed" sign. I entered the old, stale smelling lobby and noticed celebrity photos of entertainers from the 50's and 60's mounted on the wall along with religious pictures, plaques and decorations. I got a room for $78.00 (cheaper than I usually pay in Gatlinburg) and my wife and I found our room to be one that we should have passed on. The room smelled like urine and carpet fresh, the carpet was very old and matted and the furniture was old and worn. This hotel was built in 1934 and looks like it may have been remodeled in the 60's. The room was clean and uncluttered but routine cleaning can only do so much in a place this old and run down. There is no food service at this hotel and a sign on the front door forbids outside foods (i.e. McDonalds) from being brought inside or on to the front porch. The hotel is very quiet except for the old wooden floors creaking under your feet.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank JackieBoy22
Charlotte,NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

I have never been to Gatlinburg before, and feel somewhat "suckered" about my stay in this Inn. From the outside this place looks great. A pool, nice driveway, porch with rocking chairs, security guard. But you walk in the front door, and you are in a dingy old lobby where it appears that some old person has set up camp in one corner, (recliner, medicine bottles, lotion, tv, the works) We were only staying one night, so, i just looked past that. I later noticed that on the counter at the check in desk, there were pamphlets called "A Christians Guide to the Smokies" with an illustrated picture on the cover of a man who is shooting heroin into his arm, with Jesus holding onto him. (I did not see this until we came in from walking around downtown) But when we got upstairs to our room. OMG. Wood paneling walls. Greenish yellow furniture. We paid for a King room, but then realized, that we were actually sleeping on 2 1964 twin mattresses. It seemed clean, but i did notice that the towels/washcloths were numbered, and instead of giving you plastic throw away cups, they give you 2 glass cups, wrapped in paper that say they were sanitized. I highly doubt this, giving the condition of the rest of the place. The view from the balcony was ok. I kind of got an eerie feeling most of the time we were there.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
13 Thank aapchick0205
Brookville, IN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

After riding (motorcycle) most of the day from Indiana, my husband and I stopped by the Gatlinburg Inn to see if rooms were available. It looked like a quaint little hotel. With no idea that motorcycle riders were not welcome, I proceeded to the lobby with my helmet in hand. I asked if they had rooms available and was told, yes, we have rooms available but motorcycle riders are not allowed per the owners policy. I was completely offended and appalled by their blatant discrimination. My husband and I are respectable people. My husband actually works part-time in law enforcement. I have never been treated so rudely. Miss Maples, shame on you for discriminating against others!!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
25 Thank njripp
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

My husband and I stumbled upon this Inn while going through Gatlinburg. It's right in the middle of the fun.
The rate was good and the room clean and comfortable. We even had a private balcony with two rockers. The Inn was built in the 30's and has had the same owner the entire time. I saw Mrs. Maple (she's in her 90's) and was in awe. She runs a nice inn, HIGH security, and we felt right at home.
The rooms are older, but very clean. They even provide 2 postcards with stamps on them. Who does that anymore? We look forward to staying again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple