“Wife wouldnt come in the room, stayed less than 5 min.....”

Rocky Waters Motor Inn
Ranked #48 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Covington, Georgia
“Wife wouldnt come in the room, stayed less than 5 min.....”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We got this hotel from a Hotwire deal and it was the worst roon I had ever seen. Hotwire said it was a 3 star hotel....more like 1 sta.r The first bad thing was the desk worker was standing outside talking to someone when I pulled up, then asked me "you need something?" When I got my keys and got to the room the van in the room next to us double parked, so we had to take another rooms parking spot. As soon as I opened the door I was hit in the face by a spider web. There was mold on the sink and a huge water stain in the bathroom, the paint of the walls was coming off, 2 kinds of hair on each bed, huge stains on the chairs, and dust on everything. To top it off the people next to us were somking and all the some came into our room. I called Hotwire and told them what was going on and they sent me to another hotel(of course I had to pay more for a better hotel).

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a well known hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Chris R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Lebanon
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I would suggest that you go further in town to stay in Gatlinburg. We checked in on Thursday night and to my surprise from some of the reviews that I read, this place was disgusting. There were stains on the carpet in front of the vanity that were sticky. I noticed black mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. And the king size bed was terrible. If you like sleeping in the mountains you will love this bed. Sank so bad in the middle you could not turn on your side. I had to keep a pillow against my back to try and level out the bed. Rethink this decision.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Debbie B

Travellers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

Reviewed 2 February 2012

My son and I just returned from a stay at Rocky Waters. The room was extremely nice and very clean. There was an issue with the hot water, but the motel took care of it immediately and the employee they sent was so nice and helpful! I highly recommend this motel for a reasonably priced and nostalgic stay in Gatlinburg. We go every winter at this time and skipped Rocky Waters the past two years, but will stay they from now on when in Gatlinburg.

Room Tip: If you want a room away from the street side, this is the one two choose. Beautiful view of the riv...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Suzy40220
Hendersonville
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We have stayed at Rocky Waters several times over the years. It is an older property...if you expect glitz and glamor, pay 2 times the price and go down the street! We like the fireplace rooms, with an ample supply of wood. We have gotten the advertised bargains for these rooms on their website each time; however, we DO call and talk with the local management, as this property is part of the Days Inn across the river, and we want to be certain we get what we want. The private balconies over the river are wonderful!

Room Tip: Fireplace room, if you like it. Be sure to call the local folks to get these...not sure if you can...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CapnAmerica
Dawson Springs, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Let me start by saying this motel isn't fancy. But what we did get was a very large room with a fireplace,(firewood supplied and stacked on the balcony) jacuzzi and a balcony over the river at a very good price. The room was very clean and quiet. Very short stroll to all downtown activities. There is a trolly stop and store just across the street. The staff members very helpful and friendly.
The money we saved by staying here went a long way towards paying for other activities.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RandynKimmy
dallas, tx
Reviewed 9 November 2011

First, they do the bait and switch. I reserved this hotel even though I saw the bad reviews because some people said the rooms were being renovated and there were some good rooms. Well, I never even had a chance to request a "good" room. When I arrived I was told my reservation was at their "sister" hotel accross the river, The Days Inn. If I wanted a Days Inn, I WOULD HAVE BOOKED DAYS INN!!! I mistakenly thought this was going to be an eclectic, quirky motel. The lobby was very old and shabby. There were some thermos' labeled coffee next to the check in desk, but they were empty. The breakfast "area" is about 6 tables set up right in the check in area about five feet accross from the check in counter. The "food" stations is a counter next to the check in counter. It is so poorly done, they may as well not even have breakfast. When the lobby is busy, people are standing right next to you while you would be eating.

The room was a King, Fireplace room. Sounds romantic, but believe me it's anything but. The room was so old and outdated I doubt it's had anything done besides new carpets since the 1960's. The furniture is vintage Wal-mart at best. The bathroom was so tiny you could not close the door unless you walked in behind it or got into the tub first then closed the door. The tub may have been clean but it was so old you could hardly tell. There was NO heated floor as I expected. The vent did work though. The sink was outside the bathroom right at the front door. The hair dryer was falling off the wall, but I guess at least there was one.

The couch was so old and worn, I could not tell if it was filthy or just used up. I would not sit on it. I would not sit on the bed spread either. It was also very old and worn. God knows what was on it. The blanket under the bedspread was one of those foam type fuzzy blankets. There were 4 cigarette burn holes that I saw. Not sure how many I missed. I had to untuck the sheets and make sure I pulled it up far enough to cover over the blanket. There was no way I wanted that blanket to touch my skin. There were three very lumpy pillows. All out of shape and kinda hard on the neck. TV worked, but not the sleep timer. The room heater worked good and the windows opened. There was a lot of noice from the street traffic but did not seem to be a big problem late in the evening. I wear earplugs when I travel, so I'm not sure how bad it would have been. You could hear the river outside and I found that to be relaxing, others might not.

Okay, so for the good:
The sheets themselves look clean. I inspected them before I would get in.
The front desk staff at the Days Inn were very pleasant. The Rocky Waters, not so much. Could care less that we were unhappy about not being in the hotel we booked. I got the definite feeling they really don't give a darn if you are annoyed or not about the switch. They know they will get the customers because of their price and availability and that's all that matters to them. They have a crappy old hotel but it keeps getting booked so why bother changing anything.
By the time you get to the Days Inn, they realize you are not happy so I think they overcompensate because of it.
The fireplace was wood burning and they supplied as much wood as you wanted to burn. The shower was hot, not very strong though. They had plenty of thin towels and two paper thin bars of soap.

That's it! Not another good thing I could say.

I'm used to staying at Candlewood's, Country Inn's, Holiday Inn's, Best Western, Comfort Inn's. Just an idea of what I'm used to so you can judge for yourself. I travel approximately 20 weeks out of 52. I used to own a travel agency and tend to be very up front about my reviews. Some basic requirements of mine are cleanliness; (towels, linnens, rug, tub, bathroom floor and furniture) and a good strong shower. After that, everything else is a matter of tasted. This hotel had almost none of that.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell, there is no good room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank dfwjetsetter
tulsa
Reviewed 1 November 2011

You've got to be kidding ?

I looked at the other motels in town and was astounded by the prices so I booked this one, having driven by a few months earlier. We got a VERY comfortable room with a balcony on the River for a great price. After going downtown, we saw that most of the Hotels that advertised as being on the River or having views were multi-story major chains where you COULD see the creek (not yet a river downtown) from your sixth story window.
The desk guy was a little slammed when we checked in but later he turned out to be very friendly and attentive and offerred suggestions. He was even outside when we returned from downtown after dinner and asked how our evening and how we thought the restaurant was.

I read the reviews about the rooms being noisy but did not find this to be true in our case. We did NOT hear either the traffic nor the neighbors during our stay. OH !! the tiled bathroom floor is HEATED ! SWEET !

We caught the trolley right at the front door and later that night, found that there was going to be a 40 minute wait for the Trolly so we walked back from the downtown transit station and found it was only an easy 10 minute stroll.

In the morning, I went out to have coffee on the balcony and heard a pair of mallards in the water. I threw them Cheese-its ( I know, don't feed the wild life, but..) and they hung around for a while.
The rooms upstairs have covered assigned parking below them and the few downstairs rooms have assigned parking right in front of the doors. In the Summer or during bad weather, covered parking might be an issue to protect your vehicle.

There is a Convenience Store (Marathon ?) across the street.

All-in-all, our stay was very pleasant and the cost savings went to other activities.

Room Tip: see comment about parking
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple