“A basic but somewhat 'tired' motel”

Rocky Waters Motor Inn
Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Rome, Italy
“A basic but somewhat 'tired' motel”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The location is good, the river views are lovely, however the Inn itself needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. There is something of a 1960s 70s feel about Gatlinburg that is fun and fascinating, but this Inn needs some modernising as it is just plain worn out.

For the first time ever whilst travelling I had to ask for another room due to a blocked basin that they were obviously trying to fix, a bucket of green liquid having been left in the room. The next room was an improvement on the first, but I had only 2 small hand towels and no bath towel, thank goodness I am not that big! I felt I should go and ask for more, but having already moved rooms and being rather wet, I thought I would wait. The following day I had about 6 towels.

The close proximity to the river probably contributed to a feeling of dampness in the room and in the carpets, but maybe not...

Photos taken at time of check-in to first room.

Room Tip: Sadly, I would suggest staying at the Days Inn, round the corner, where Rocky Waters guests have to...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LNT66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We arrived on a holiday weekend. We booked through hotwire because it was rated a 3 star. The last 3 star we had booked with hotwire was the Sherraton in St.Louis, so we were expecting something comparable...WRONG! The best thing about this place is the river, and that's only if you can stand to be on the balcony with all of the spiders! We were allowed to check in early which was a plus since we had been driving all day. We opened our balcony door and were hit in the face by spider webs. We entered the room and it smelled like mildew. The dust was so thick on the headboards I had to dust before we went to bed. The ceiling in the bathroom had a hole in it. The tub was so dirty we didn't bathe in it. The refrigerator had food in it. Our coffee maker had mold in it. Only one lamp had a lightbulb. The furniture was nasty and stained. At bed time my daughter and I climbed in the bed only to find we were sharing it with 2 spiders. It would have done us no good to complain since every hotel/motel was booked solid so we contacted hotwire upon our return. Hotwire was great. They refunded us half of our money. We also took pictures and sent them to hotwire. They are re-rating the motel. I would maybe recommended this place for a guys weekend of partying, but definately nothing more.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank ALF1978

Travellers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

Unicoi, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We have stayed at Rocky Water's since 1978 when we were married, we go back just about every year. We always stay street side, open the door to the porch and you are looking over the creek and have privacy. Its not a fancy place at all but it is quiet and you can walk up the street to downtown Gatlingburg. They need to work on the pool street side it needs a remake. They still have the same chairs they had in 1978. It is more sentimental for us, just a nice getaway for a couple of days.

Room Tip: We like street side the best.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The motel is from the 1960's and was top of the line then. We just spent 4 nights at Rocky Waters and will absolutely not go back. The pics online are more than deceiving. The only nice thing is the balcony overlooking the beautiful river and the once or twice visit from Frasier the Crane. Rooms were outdated, doors stuck and the AC was totally worn out to the point I didn't sleep but 2-3 hours a night for the noise it made. No use complaining, paid cash and couldn't afford to go elsewhere expecting no refund. The pool was a joke. The furniture was so demolished and old who knew if it could hold a person 50 lbs. Rocky Waters you need to have the place bulldozed and start over if you want a stream of good clientele. What a joke! We will NEVER go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen J
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We got this hotel from a Hotwire deal and it was the worst roon I had ever seen. Hotwire said it was a 3 star hotel....more like 1 sta.r The first bad thing was the desk worker was standing outside talking to someone when I pulled up, then asked me "you need something?" When I got my keys and got to the room the van in the room next to us double parked, so we had to take another rooms parking spot. As soon as I opened the door I was hit in the face by a spider web. There was mold on the sink and a huge water stain in the bathroom, the paint of the walls was coming off, 2 kinds of hair on each bed, huge stains on the chairs, and dust on everything. To top it off the people next to us were somking and all the some came into our room. I called Hotwire and told them what was going on and they sent me to another hotel(of course I had to pay more for a better hotel).

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a well known hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Chris R
Lebanon
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I would suggest that you go further in town to stay in Gatlinburg. We checked in on Thursday night and to my surprise from some of the reviews that I read, this place was disgusting. There were stains on the carpet in front of the vanity that were sticky. I noticed black mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. And the king size bed was terrible. If you like sleeping in the mountains you will love this bed. Sank so bad in the middle you could not turn on your side. I had to keep a pillow against my back to try and level out the bed. Rethink this decision.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Debbie B
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My son and I just returned from a stay at Rocky Waters. The room was extremely nice and very clean. There was an issue with the hot water, but the motel took care of it immediately and the employee they sent was so nice and helpful! I highly recommend this motel for a reasonably priced and nostalgic stay in Gatlinburg. We go every winter at this time and skipped Rocky Waters the past two years, but will stay they from now on when in Gatlinburg.

Room Tip: If you want a room away from the street side, this is the one two choose. Beautiful view of the riv...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family