“Great service, great view, and a good room!”

Rocky Waters Motor Inn
Ranked #41 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
“Great service, great view, and a good room!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights at Rocky Waters this past week. Before checking in, we had read some pretty unfavorable reviews saying that the place was dirty, outdated, and had a bug problem. Needless to say we were a little skeptical, but we couldn't say no to the price.
When we arrived, the woman at the front desk was so friendly! We had booked room 101 with a jacuzzi tub and a king size bed. The parking situation was a little funny because we had to go back out onto the road to actually get to our parking space, but we figured it out.
When we opened the door to our room and began to investigate it, we were happy with the conditions. The room is average size, but the HUGE bed and the GIGANTIC tub make it seem small. Plenty of room for the two of us. Also, the balcony overlooking the river is amazing. You could hear it with the door shut and it drowned out the noise of the highway... Very relaxing. There were no bugs, but the comforter on the bed was a little dirty. I'm sure that we could have requested another one, we just didn't want to fool with it. The wallpaper, curtains and paintings on the walls are very outdated and give the room a cheesy 70's motel feel. But, we weren't paying for a 5 star modern microsuite. So this wasn't a big deal. The jacuzzi worked great, the toilet and sinks worked great, too. The fireplace was a little dusty and questionable, but it was nearly 80 degrees both days so we didn't need it. Likewise, I know that we could have requested someone to come help us with it because the people were so nice! It would have been the perfect romantic touch during a winter vacation.
********LOCATION ALERT**********
This place is NOT convenient if you want to spend a lot of time out at night. We wanted to drink and not drive, but the trolley service stops at ten. The walk isn't bad at all (little over a mile to downtown where Ripleys and the restaurants are) but when you are inebriated it is much more difficult and seems to be uphill both ways. I would suggest staying somewhere around Redlight 6 if you plan on doing the same.
Other than that it is conveniently located directly across from a gas station and a liquor store. And it would be awesome if you planned on driving to Pigeon Forge and back during the day or using the trolley or your car.
One complaint I did have was that some person was leaf blowing right outside our door at like 1pm and we were asleep. He or she preceded to leaf blow all around the building which woke us up. But, in their defense it WAS 1 o clock in the afternoon, and typical people don't sleep that late.
Overall, the place was nice and clean. The people were very friendly and helpful. We probably wouldn't stay there again simply because it was just so far out of town.

2 Thank Beasknees93

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My girlfriend and I spent a night in Gatlinburg at this hotel, for her birthday. The location of this hotel is great, its pretty centrally located, and the river right outside your door is truly amazing. The distance from downtown Gatlinburg is not bad either, but it is just slightly further than you would want to walk (until you realize how expensive the parking is).

While the location is great, in all other ways this hotel is awful. The entire motel needs a DEEP clean and a make-over. There was dirt and dust in the corners of our room, the paint is peeling off thew walls, the furniture is covered in stains and burn marks and it was manufactured sometime in the late 80's/early 90's. The windows are dirty, the ceiling is stained...... I could go on. The hotel is past the point of feeling nostalgic, and it just feels run down and dirty.

Please, for your own health, just pay the $20-$30 more and go stay at the Hilton. Just so you won't die of ancient diseases or something.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are great, but do get one with a river balcony.
3 Thank Aaron B

Travellers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

Normandy, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The rooms are located overlooking a fast flowing water /river. Each room has a private balcony and beds that where very inviting. The first two nights we simple had a room to sleep in , but after finding it so nice we decided to upgrade to a room with a gacusey bath and fire place. After fun filled days in town and at the national park for a hick , we where very blessed to come back to the room for a relaxing soak in the tub and a crackiln fire. It was wonderful! Parking costs $5 , $6 , and $8 in the town down the strip , but the events are within walking distance from the motel with a little planning.

Room Tip: The breakfast is located in the sister hotel which is just down the street , so it did require leavi...
1 Thank Anngelaawashere
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I had heard great things about this place from people who stayed here over twenty years ago. The view of the river from the balcony is terrific and I liked the layout of the room. However, during our stay (over five days) the custodial staff only cleaned our room twice. We had to get extra towels, soap, coffee and other things from the indifferent manager. Only on the final day did the toilet get fixed correctly. We left earlier than planned and will not be back. The room was very noisy at night because it is on the main road into town. As a light sleeper, this was a big problem for me as well.

2 Thank Anne A
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Sweet little motel with an amazing view!!!!! We absolutely loved this place..it was very clean and the staff was so friendly...this is our second time staying here and they have made nice updates to the rooms and the big jaccuzi is always nice...would def recommend to anyone for the price...

Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2014

So let me start off this review with this: I thought for sure it was going to be sketchy when we checked in. I was so scared i didn't even put my credit card on file. Toll free number? Sometimes no one would answer the phone. Just an all around sketch hotel, i for sure had a backup plan in case this had fallen through which we were counting on.

So fast froward to check in, the owners son was at the front desk for check in, he was so friendly and accommodating, Before i paid for the room i asked him to see it, he said absolutely no problem and gave us the key. now if you have ever seen hotel impossible, picture me turning the room over just how he does. We turned that room apart looking for even a hair and we found NOTHING. There were a few things that need to be updated in the hotel, but ill get to that in a minute; SO anyways, needless to say that we had a great freakin stay. The maid service only came once the whole 5 days we were there, ONLY because they do the room cleanings pretty freakin' early, we slept until about 12 everyday, but the part i absolutely loved was how they put a bag on our outside door handle with towels, coffee, cups and wash clothes.

Me and my Boyfriend called the front desk a few times, asking for toilet paper, tissue, more towels, etc. They ran right up and gave us whatever we needed. It was a fantastic stay and i would recommend this hotel to ANYONE who asks. We had not one issue to even begin to complain about.

Now, the few things that could use some updating, they ARE in process of updating this hotel, but not much noise or anything doing that. So, the toilet in our room was a bit loose, none the less there was no leaking or anything of the sort. Next, the whole 5 days we only had to turn on the air conditioner once, and it sort of smelled musty like it hadn't been used in a few years, but after we left it running for about an hour it was fine and smelled normally. The microwave does not have an outlet close enough to plug it in, ill post a picture of what we had to do, im sure you'll have a great laugh at it. Last but not least, i actually love this 'fail' as some would call it. The drawers to put your clothes in were a very strong musty smell, BUT, that really does show how up to date they try to make the hotel. Usually a hotel room that's been unused for a long time, long enough to have that musty smell collect in a drawer, would normally be dusty, scummy, etc. But it was the most clean i've ever seen a hotel room to be.

The room does not look how it does in pictures, ill post some up for you guys.

I recommend this room to anyone, we loved it, the balcony we spent countless hours on just relaxing and listening to the creek. Trust me, you do wanna stay here! If you do have any problems, the front desk will attend to everything you need, i promise!

Room Tip: Bring an extension cord for the microwave if your gonna use it!
4 Thank CassieLynn_xoxo
Mokena, Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My girlfriend and I just got back from our vacation in Gatlinburg. We stayed here for 5 days in a second room floor. The check-in was pleasant, we got to check-in early and our room was already ready. Only thing not really cleaned was a couple Gatorade bottles in the fridge, but that wasn't a big deal. Everything else was up to par. All amenities were there as promised. Obviously, my favorite part of the room was the balcony with an absolutely fantastic view of the river. I was shocked when I walked in because the rooms look a lot more up to date than they do in the pictures! Something I don't understand: Why is everyone blasting this place for having bugs in their rooms? I understand the door is a little hard to close but if you get it just right then you won't have that bug problem. My girlfriend and I basically stripped the room and looked for bedbugs, stains, garbage, hair, etc. and only found (like I said) a few Gatorade bottles. Only other problem I had was the toilet being a little wiggly and loose, but NO leaking problems. The convenience of a Marathon gas station right across the street is spectacular. Also, the convenience of always having someone at the front desk, no matter what time of day/night it is, is awesome. They're very accommodating, having no problem giving you refills of things you run out of in your room. It's awesome being right down the street from the main drag, it's only about 6 minutes of a walk. Never used the trolley, but I guess it would be good for people who want to. The breakfast (which is served at the Days Inn) isn't the best but its good for what you pay for (nothing). I would definitely recommend and return to this hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BurkeTia, Manager at Rocky Waters Motor Inn, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind words. We are so happy you had a great visit with us! Please come visit us again soon. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back!