“I'm not fussy, but.....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Royal Town House Motel
Ranked #45 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 24 September 2009

I'm not picky, and I'm usually easily satistied. Please read my full review. First I'll start with the good points of this motel. The room was large, had a fireplace, refrig, microwave, coffee maker. The bed was surprisingly comfortable. Location was great with an easy walk to the attractions on the Gatlinburg strip, and an easy drive to the entrance of the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park. Now the bad points. We were given one key, not even on a key ring. Could have been easily lost. When opening the door, the room had a stuffy odor. Next we noticed the big fireplace with black soot up the front, a sign on it not to use or the room would fill with smoke. The carpet was the dirtiest I've ever seen, with huge stains all over. The coffee maker had no coffee pot. The refrig was sitting on a rubber bath mat. I didn't look in it, afraid of getting more grossed out. The bathroom was so old and nasty looking. I hated to take my shoes off to get in the shower.The light over the tiny mirror on the bathroom wall was crooked and dingy. There was an outside corridor, but no chairs to sit outside the room. We looked at the pool area. It looked clean enough but very small. We used a rooomsaver coupon and got the room for $40, cheap but not cheap enough for this place. There were only 5 cars in the parking lot the night we were there so we should have known it isn't very popular. Our view was of a brick wall of the back of the neighboring motel. We got there late at night and left early just to get out of the nasty place. I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank gocat

Reviewed 13 September 2009

This is the first time me and my husband have been away since our twins were born. They are six now! We didn't have reservations when we got to Gatlinburg but knew we wanted to stay downtown. We found this motel in a "coupon book" and decided to give it a try. At check in (which was very early morning..before noon) the staff was friendly and helpful. We entered our room and found it to be very spacious with a decent view of the ski lift and a fireplace! The parking was free and walking was easy. We rode the trolley if we wanted to use the other end of town. The fact that the motel had a 70's feel to it made it feel like being at grandma s and made our stay cozy and comfortable. I mean, come on. where else are you gonna find a bottle opener attached to the wall for your convenience!? lol The hotel is near TGI Friday's so if you would like to have a few drinks then you can walk back to your room with no worries. Excellent clean rooms, spacious pool over the parkway, awesome staff ...everything you need to make you want to return and we will! Thanks for a great weekend with my husband. Free WIFI in room too...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zntenn
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We paid $59 for a one night stay on a Monday night in early June. This is considered high season. Parking was plentiful and covered. Check-in was quick and friendly. Later he gave us a recommendation for the Italian restaurant across the street (see my separate review).

An elevator or stairs took us to our room on the second floor. They have several carts available to take all your luggage to your room in one trip (convenient!). Rooms are very large and ours came with a fireplace that added ambiance, even in June. There is a fridge and coffee maker. Air conditioning worked perfect. The bed was plenty big and we slept comfortably in it. Bathrooms were very clean; although they are dated. The only complaints I had (and shared at checkout) was that there is NO outlet in the bathroom and the switch labeled fan was hooked up incorrectly to the heater in the ceiling and vice versa (no wonder it was so hot in there!).

Other than bars of soap there were no other amenities; so remember to bring your own things like shampoo. There is no hairdryer. Our room was very quiet even though right on the strip. Your room is within steps of all the shops and restaurants. Another nice thing is it is toward the end of the town near the park so you don't have to sit through traffic lights when coming home from a day of hiking.

Although we didn't swim in the pool we did visit it (check out the pictures from the top deck). It is on the top floor. Many visitors were relaxing in chairs with drink in hand lined up along the railing just chatting and watching people below walking the street. The view of the surrounding mountains adds to the experience!

I am staying here on my next visit!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gatorzman
Reviewed 20 June 2009

This hotel is a bit old and shows it. It was clean and it does have a good location. However, the rooms are a bit shabby. Our room was a good size and it did have a small refrigerator, television, coffee maker and pool. The bed was comfortable. For the location, it was a reasonable price. No breakfast included but there was a Flapjacks across the street. They did great whole wheat & nut pancakes. I would not discourage people from staying here, but just realize that it is not luxury.

I would highly recommend having lunch/dinner at Uva's Wine Bar & Cafe, just down the same road as the hotel towards Pigeon Forge. The rest of the dining scene in Gatlinburg was disappointing but this place was a gem. Glenn & Lisa were wonderful and very eager to please. The menu was small but delicious. They have only been open a short time and we hope they succeed. They were the bright spot in our trip to Gatlinburg.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mlmdjd
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We planned a short trip away from everything in early May. I searched extensively for an economical place to stay on the strip. After reading reviews here, we thought we would give RTHM a try.

We had a king room (#129) all the way in the back. It was very unbusy and fairly quiet. This hotel is right on the parkway, so there is some noise, especially in the mornings. There is ample parking, which is nice, since we avoided ever paying for parking in Gatlinburg. We stayed 3 nights, Fri and Sat night at $59 and Sun night at $39. You can't beat that with a stick.

There is no breakfast, but there is a Flapjack's right down the street, on the other side. Or a McDonald's near the Skylift, for a more economical breakfast.

This is important to note: They are in the process of building a Hilton hotel right behind the RTHM. The beeping of the construction trucks begins around 7:30 am, 7 days a week. It was really annoying. At times, it sounded like the trucks were in our bathroom.

Overall, the room was clean and the bed was big and comfortable. The TV is kind of small and the room could use some updating, especially the bathroom. This is a 70s hotel, and the colors prove it...lol! We were happy with it and would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trillian880
Reviewed 4 April 2009

We had stayed at the RTHM several years ago and based on TA reviews we tried it again.

We got a mid week rate of $49, Fri was $59. room had 2 full size beds, mini fridge, cofee pot, telephone, cable tv. The best were very comfy. The wireless internet connection was great.

The best part for me was that we requested a nonsmoking room, the door had an insignia designating it was a non smoking room, we open the door..thank God!! the room smelled fresh,like no one had EVER smoked in it. Many times at other hotels we request non smoking and the room still stinks of smoke.

My wife felt that the bathroom was bit small but I am a big guy and I had no problem with it. When I get a great room directly on the parkway for $49. I guss that erased the bathroom size from my mind.
The bathroom looked like it had just been remodled, the tub caulk was so white it made me notice, "man . that is some clean ,white tub caulk. "

The front desk was very friendly, we arrived "way" early and she let us check in any way ( I must looked like I needed the rest)
The house keeper, I think her name was peggy, did and awesome job on our room and was very nice also.

Saturday morning I tried to get a better rate than the 59.00 but the price was firm, you can blame a guy for trying. Since we didnt get the deal of a life time on the SAturday rate we checke out as planned, very happy with every aspect of our stay at RTHM.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank tonysapp2
Reviewed 10 January 2009

We stay here at Royal Townhouse , and have for many years . You can`t beat the price and its easy walking to everything , we stay almost every year in Jan. , its an older place and like all us old things it could use some work but all in all its the GREATEST !! , you can even have a room with a fire place , very cool !!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)