“Good value but not impressed”

Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Good value but not impressed”
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here only one night on business. The room was a good value, but I got what I paid for.... Average hotel, very slow front desk check in and check out, average room with carpet that appeared stained. The restaurant offers a breakfast buffet for $10.99... Seriously, holiday inn??? It was exactly the same buffet available at most hotels for FREE- there was nothing about that breakfast that was worth $10.99! Overall, I'm not so sure I'd stay here again... Maybe if I were just passing through again and needed a few hours sleep for a cheap rate.... But I would skip that breakfast for sure!

• Stayed June 2013
HolidayInnGreenbelt, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for posting your comments. We are sorry that our breakfast was not to your satisfaction, it is something that we are working on. We apologize that your room was less than adequate. This will be addressed with our Housekeeping Staff so that we can prevent this from happening to anybody else.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will give us another chance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The desk staff were very curtious and accommodating. However I do believe they need a younger staff to drive their shuttles. Our stay was 4 nights and 5 days. Because of the distance to anywhere from this hotel a shuttle to the metro was necessary. We were a large group and were all very shaken after each shuttle ride. We even were involved in an accident (no injuries) and were delayed for 45 min before another shuttle could pick us up at the scene. We got a "sorry for the incident and inconvenience" We all thought there should have been at least a free drink/meal or something, but that didn't happen. Our door lock was broke n they did replace it first thing next day which was appreciated. Needs a good cleaning through out. If your going to drink in the bar and have a waiter. (Male). Make sure you ask how much your drinks are. I gave waiter $10.00 to pay for 1 beer n glass of tea. Never saw him again until the next night when I purposely asked how much beer was. He said he didn't know. Asked for a receipt n beer was $3.75. Later bought a round of drinks (3 beers). Gave him $15.00 n got $1.25 change. You figure it out!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
HolidayInnGreenbelt, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very sorry for the troubles that you experienced especially the minor accident in the rain. We are happy that nobody was hurt. Thank you for staying with us and we are very sorry for all of the troubles that you had during your stay.
Boston
Reviewed 2 June 2013

With all the recent positive reviews, I had to double check that I located the correct hotel here on TripAdvisor. Indeed I have and I can only say that my room was filthy, with a layer of grime on anything touched by human hands, from the telephone (especially) to the A/C unit to the light switches. Yes, the essentials were clean -- the toilet, the linens, and the sink. But everything else looked as if it hadn't been touched for months.

As for the rest of the property, it was tired looking and ready for a refresh -- peeling paint in the corridors, dirty walls, dinged-up old metal doors.

If Holiday Inn is, indeed, trying to improve its image, then may want to start here.

Room Tip: Take a close look at your room and if it's as filthy as mine was, ask for another.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very sorry that your room was clearly unacceptable, we have addressed all of this with our housekeeping staff. Thank you for staying with us and again we truly apologize for the inconvenience.
Milledgeville, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I am an occasional business traveler on a budget, and spent several days here, using a reservation through an online hotel discount website that was quite reasonable. Check-in was great, Daniel helped me get the type of room I wanted, and answered my questions about getting around the area thoroughly. The hotel looks like an older property that has had some updating over the years. My room was pretty clean, linens were in good shape, and I slept fine. Wireless internet (free) was fair from my 3rd floor room, which also had a fridge and small microwave. This came in handy, as breakfast wasn't included in my room rate. There's a restaurant on-site that I didn't try, and several $5-15 dining options within a 5-minute drive from the hotel. Housekeeping staff was polite, and otherwise average. I used the small, but well-equipped workout room almost every day, and was glad to have that available. There's also a pool that I didn't have time to use.

If I were going to point to anything in need of improvement, I would say the common areas need more thorough and frequent cleaning - hallway carpets, lobby, workout room (fingerprints on the glass, dehumidifier full of water, occasional used paper cups or towels lying around). If this were a little better done, it would be an easy 5-star review. Even with these issues, I'd probably stay again for the price paid.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank terminaldegree07
HolidayInnGreenbelt, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We are so glad that Daniel at the front desk was so helpful and all of your accommodation needs were met. We have addressed your concerns about the common areas with Housekeeping and just to let you know we have upgraded our complimentary WiFi so that our guests can work as if they were at home. Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 31 May 2013

There is a guy named Chris at the front desk that is very dedicated to helping customers. He greeted everyone that walks in and out of the hotel, he helped everyone pointing them to any and every direction to and from the hotel. He is more than a front desk guy, he will make sure you are helped in any and every ways he knows how. I believe Good Customer Service is very important in every establishment and this man brings it to every customer that walks into the doors of this hotel.

The joy of knowing someone like that is there in this facility makes my stay extra smooth. This man should be promoted.

1 Thank Etukudo
Thank you for posting your comments about Chris at the Front Desk. We agree that he is extremely helpful and you are absolutely right that everyone gets taken care of when Chris is working. Thank you for staying with us, we are glad that it was such a great stay for you.
Reviewed 28 May 2013

FIRST AND FOREMOST...THIS HOTEL PLACES A $50 HOLD ON YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR INCEDENTALS IN ORDER TO GET A ROOM KEY. Other than that, I paid 60 bucks for a top hotel. Nice room, excellent food on ground level, clean. When you stay here you get an at home feel. Room service is a plus. On Friday and Saturday there is a small gathering at the restaurant so get back to the hotel early or late if you want a parking spot. Other than that....excellent..

1 Thank new1man9
HolidayInnGreenbelt, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Holiday Inn Greenbelt. We very much appreciate your reminder about the $50 incidental deposit that we require to check in.
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that we can welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because it was such a good value and so close to the Metro for getting into Washington. But what made all the difference was how friendly and helpful the staff was. They even helped us get water the afternoon we left. The rooms are okay but could use someplace to hang clothes. Still, I'm definite booking in here again.

1 Thank Marjact
Thank you for posting your comments about the Holiday Inn Greenbelt. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
#5 of 5 in Greenbelt
Residence Inn Greenbelt
Residence Inn Greenbelt
#3 of 5 in Greenbelt

Been to Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt? Share your experiences!