“Lovely, upscale but down to earth”
Review of O.Henry Hotel

O.Henry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Kernersville, North Carolina
“Lovely, upscale but down to earth”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had previously stayed at the other property owned by this group, The Proximity, so on a recent business trip I tried the O Henry. I will say I liked it much better. First, they have a continental breakfast that is part of your stay, no additional cost. The Proximity does not do this. Although I do generally like the food better at their restaurant than I do at the O. Henry.

The staff stood out for me at this hotel... the treatment was more on par for what I would expect of a higher priced, upscale hotel. They were very happy to take care of the couple of requests I had. The room was very nice and comfortable and you can even crack the windows, which is nice. I agree with one of the other reviewer's opinion of the bathroom, it is one of the nicest hotel bathrooms I have seen. There is a separate shower from the tub and also a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom that can be used to get ready if there is more than one person staying in the room. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank leighkx
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Oh! we're so excited you have stayed at our sister hotel as well and shared your experiences at both. O.Henry's Old World feel is very different from Proximity's modern take but Southern hospitality and genuine service is a mission that both share.

It's great to hear that you experienced genuine service from our staff and experienced the many design features at the O.Henry. The design team touches most everything we do from the amenities, to the environment that surrounds you. Most everything has been touched and gone through a filter and process before anything is implemented. We are so glad you even noticed the windows that provide fresh air in our guestrooms. You can read more about our design processes in a Rambling by Dennis Quaintance in our Fall 2012 Newsletter – available on our website. It's a great read!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at this lovely Southern hotel and I plan to only stay here during upcoming trips because of the overall experience. Upscale. Quiet. Fabulous dining at Green Valley. Definitely plan for tea.

The mattresses are just perfect and staff is invisible unless you need them. Go back on time and enjoy an experience as opposed to a stay

Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Mary J
We are so glad you have consistently experienced a wonderful stay at the O.Henry and it sounds like you were able to take advantage of some of our wonderful amenities. Getting a good nights rest is so important when traveling, so we are glad you enjoyed the mattresses and staff was unobtrusive but there when needed. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
North Carolina
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We enjoyed our Saturday night stay on the "Gift of the Magi" package. Our king room was very comfortable and well appointed. The bath/dressing area was so unique - one of the nicest hotel bathrooms we've experienced! The breakfast buffet was fabulous and the service/hospitality from the breakfast staff was superb. Dinner at Green Valley Grill was excellent.

Problems we experienced: At check-in we were pleasantly surprised to be offered delivery of a complimentary newspaper but unfortunately, we never received it. Front desk staff person was unfamiliar with the terms of our package (late check out and amenity voucher) therefore we did not feel the special and gracious welcome we expected from a hotel of this caliber. Our TV remote did not work properly and the wireless internet connection was weak and slow.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoveBandBs_8
It's a pleasure to hear you had a wonderful stay in our guestrooms and we are tickled you enjoyed the bathroom and dressing areas! Our design team and "Minister of Design" Don Rives (sadly, he passed away in 2007) spent many hours coming up with the perfect design for our guests to enjoy and he would be smiling to know that 15 years later it is a deciding factor to our guests amazing experience. You can read more about O.Henry's design features on our website.

One of our cornerstones is to provide genuine service by a well-trained staff that is knowledgeable of our amenities and services we offer, but unfortunately we fell short and you had a negative experience. The "Gift of the Magi" package is one our more popular packages, so it is a disappointment that you did not receive that knowledgable service. It is feedback like this that helps our team improve.

Thank you!
Charlotte
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We came to Greensboro for business and we stayed over here to attend the Eagles concert recently. This is a first class hotel in every respect. The Green Valley Grill is an outstanding restaurant and we had a delicious dinner in a beautiful setting created by the hotel's designers, even though the hotel itself is nestled among an office/business park. Our room was luxurious and the entire trip was a great treat, with one exception. This hotel needs to partner with a more reliable and competent transportation service for special events such as this concert. The recommended shuttle bus service to the Greensboro Coliseum was chaotic, to say the least. However, the less said about that, the better. Otherwise, this is the best place to stay in the Triad, in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RickMarsh
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Great headline to your review! Since we are a literary hotel, we love to play with words. When traveling it's wonderful to treat yourself to something special and we are honored you chose the O.Henry as that special treat.

We rely on feedback to improve our amenities and services even when they are not our own. We will certainly investigate other options for special events transportation services to take care of our guests when they are in Greensboro.

We hope to see you next time there is a good concert in town!
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were flying out of the Greenboro airport and decided to treat ourselves to this hotel the night before the flight to celebrate my child's birthday. From the balloons they procured, to the milk and cookies they set up in the room right before our arrival, the attention to detail was top notch. They were friendly, attentive and very helpful. The room was lovely. The pool was lovely, in such a beautiful setting. The afternoon tea was very fun and they were great with kids. The kids wanted to try room service and the food from the Grill downstairs was delicious. I had a cauliflower steak that was amazing! We used the shuttle service to the airport (very helpful) and took the London Taxi back (really, really fun!). And we all loved the special touch of the O'Henry candy bars at the front desk. Can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dr_Evils_TravelAgent
We truly love making family memories special! We hope that this fun and festive birthday experience will be remembered in the years to come and everyone will want to return for many more.

Room service is such a wonderful indulgence, I am so glad you enjoyed the Cauliflower Steak, it is a local favorite. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of our many amenities!

We look forward to being a part of many more birthdays to come with your family.
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I had purchased 2 tickets to see Rod Stewart in Greensboro, North Carolina on October 17, 2013 and since we had not been anywhere in awhile, we decided to spend the night rather than drive home after the concert. We arrived at O Henry about 2 hours before the concert. The room was beautiful and the bathroom was luxurious. When we unpacked, we headed down to the O Henry Grill and shared a couple of appetizers which were our dinner. The food was delicious. We were so happy to learn that the hotel provided a shuttle to and from the Coliseum. It was wonderful to have someone else drive us that knew where they were going and we did not need to park. The next morning I got up early while my husband slept and ate the complementary breakfast which included everything from eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, grits, etc. Every afternoon from 2:00 to 5:00PM the hotel offers tea in the beautiful front room of the hotel. After checking out of the hotel at noon, we came back for tea at 2PM. In addition to delicious tea, we had scones, clotted cream, lemon curd, tea sandwiches, and various sweets. After this fun 24 hours we got back into our car and drove home. The concert was held on Thursday night. The next day we found out that Rod Stewart had been in town since Tuesday and had chosen the O Henry to rest up for a couple of nights before this concert. I think the fact that he chose to stay at the O Henry says a lot. Great 24 hours. Can't wait for an excuse to come back.

Room Tip: I made a reservation about 1 month in advance and trusted the staff to choose the room for us.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Exciting! Trips out of town for concerts are so much fun and we are so glad you chose to stay with us and that we were able to make it so easy, enjoyable and relaxing.

Concert traffic is no fun, so we are so glad you were able to enjoy a stress-free evening with Rod Stewart… we hope the show was amazing too.

Our Afternoon Tea is wonderful – what a fun thing to include in a concert weekend. There are lots of excuses to come back to Greensboro… we have concerts, art museums, nearby shopping village or just to restore your spirit! We look forward to your next stay with us!
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at the O. Henry hotel for a week on business, and I am still in awe of the experience. Every interaction I had with the staff was beyond compare. For example, the first day I was there, I realized that I had forgotten contact lens solution and asked the front desk the location of the nearest pharmacy (although the hotel has plenty of standard toiletries on hand they can give you, they did not of course had that particular item). The front desk attendant provided a map of a place right across the street and even added tips on the best crosswalk to use to get there. Upon my return he saw me and asked if I had found the pharmacy alright. On Day 3 I decided to go for a run on the running trail that is easily accessible by the hotel. Upon my return and climbing the hotel steps, the doorman asked kindly if I would like a towel and a bottle of water! I was not in the gym--this was the doorman!

I ordered room service twice (from the hotel's own Green Valley Grill--delicious!) and it arrived freshly prepared and piping hot in no more than 15 minutes. Each time they showed up I said, "You are the fastest room service I have ever had," to which the server said, "we like to exceed your expectations." Indeed. The food was delicious too: the beef short ribs melted like butter, and the parmesan crusted chicken with a garlic lemon sauce was decadent.

Each morning there is a full buffet breakfast complete with scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal with all the fixings, grits, a selection of pastries, cereals, fruit, breads...everything. If I had to find one nit-picky constructive criticism it would be to change up the breakfast buffet by one or two items after a couple of days--that said, what they had was delicious. And the coffee was excellent.

The rooms are beautifully appointed and I loved the separate powder room area and bathroom with both a glass-enclosed shower and a soaking tub. The beds are extremely comfortable--I am actually considering calling the hotel and finding out how to get one for my home.

I could go on. Needless to say, every hotel should take a lesson from the O. Henry. It exceeded my expectations on every count.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Wow! We are honored with your amazing review and we are thrilled you enjoyed your week long stay with us. It makes us smile when we are able to exceed our guests expectations. Thank you for the suggestions to our Southern breakfast buffet. We will share them with Chef Leigh Hesling at Green Valley Grill. Suggestions like this really make our hotel what it is. By the way the Counter Culture Coffee is extraordinary.

I too am a runner so I can appreciate our staff's genuine offering to help you recover after a long run. Our area running trails are wonderful. We also offer bikes to ride on those same trails. Try it out the next time your staying with us.

Our beds and Magi Bedding really is comfy! Our Magi Bedding is available for purchase just give us a call and we'll order it for you.

We truly do enjoy exceeding your expectations and we are so glad you had a great experience and wanted to share it with other travelers.