“Old World charm in Greensboro”
Review of O.Henry Hotel

O.Henry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed 18 February 2014

High Point University family weekend had all rooms near school booked followed reviews and decided to give O;Henry a try. Glad we did. Great attentive service. Nice rooms big bathroom very comfortable

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bigjac15
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

I hope you enjoyed High Point University's family weekend! We're honored you gave us a shot and it's a pleasure to hear you experienced our gracious amenities and attentive service.

We hope you will stay with us again when you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for O.Henry Hotel

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I'd like to start by saying this... other hotels should strive to be the O.Henry. This place is run with a mixture of southern grace, military precision, and an actual beating heart. What they deliver is exceptional customer service in a truly refined setting.

My beautiful nephew died recently during a horrible motorcycle accident. Greensboro was his hometown, and his family brought him home to bury him.

As his out-of-town family, we stayed at the O.Henry. We were driven to the wake by Mr. Jenkins, a wonderful soul. The next day, the day of the funeral, my brother-in-law (dad of the deceased) overslept. He asked at very last-minute to arrange for Mr. Jenkins to drive us to the chapel where the services were being held. I ran to the front desk to find Mr. Jenkins was already scheduled on another run. When my brother-in-law came to the lobby, and Mr. Jenkins laid eyes on him, he very quietly made other arrangements for his previously scheduled run. With grace and empathy, Mr. Jenkins delivered us to the chapel.

I cannot say enough about what the O.Henry provided to our family. Thank you from our hearts, Mr. Jenkins, Belinda Glenn, and the entire staff of the O.Henry.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank suzysulli
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Your story brings tears to in my eyes and we are truly sorry for your loss.
We are honored that you chose to stay with us during a family tragedy. We are pleased that you were able to experience attentive service by our warm and hospitable staff. Mr Jenkins and Ms Glenn are jewels.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We don't live far from the O'Henry and I have for years wanted to splurge and spend a romantic night there with my husband so did just that this New Years Eve. We purchased a package that included a king room, bottle of sparkling wine, "priority seating" in the restaurant (not sure what that got us), and a 2:00 check out. Check in was quick and painless, and all the staff were eager and polite though I got the feeling most were inexperienced, but, hey, so were we. The bed/living area of the room was a bit of a disappointment as it was a little frayed around the edges with an expected hotel feel, but the bathroom was worth the expense. The classic black and white tile, large walk-in shower, and two separate sinks were exactly what we were expecting from an old school hotel. We enjoyed an appetizer and a couple of cocktails at the bar before dinner which was busy but not over crowded. My husband was very pleased with his steak at dinner, but I was underwhelmed by my salmon which was bland and served over stiff polenta. We have eaten at the restaurant a few times before and I've never been disappointed, so will not hold this one experience against them, just won't order the salmon again. The breakfast buffet comes standard with a stay at the hotel and everything on it was freshly cooked, hot and delicious, definitely not your standard hotel breakfast. They have a small but nice exercise room with quality equipment that we used both days. Overall, a very nice time, but, for this solidly middle class couple, not something we could justify doing very often.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wren A

We are happy you chose to stay with us to celebrate a romantic New Year's Eve and we are grateful for your feedback to help us improve our guest's experience. It is very important to you and all of our guests that our staff are competent and well trained. We have addressed this with our leadership team.
We are thrilled you enjoyed the guest bathroom and dining at Green Valley Grill. We will certainly share your feedback about the bland salmon with our Executive Chef Leigh Hesling.
We are in the process of updating our guestrooms, which includes updating furniture in all of our rooms. We hope that you will stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to knock your socks off.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I shared two nights at this 5 star hotel with my daughter as a girl's get away in August 2012 prior to her October 2012 wedding. The facility is top notch is so many ways from doormen and greeters to exquisite rooms and accommodations. The restaurant was delicious and the server was kind and patient with customers who had not dined there before and helpful with the menu. The breakfast they provide is perfect. The steel cut oats were such a treat. The antique cars on the property added such a nice touch and photo op's! It's centrally located which is helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MOOREJ1978

A girl's getaway is so fun! Spending time with your daughter before her big day is a lasting memory, we are honored to be a part of it.
So glad you had a memorable culinary experience at Green Valley Grill with our competent servers and our Southern-style breakfast buffet especially (the steel cut oats are also our favorite!).
Our London Taxis are great for photo-ops, we look forward to your next stay with us and hope that you will ride take a ride in one of them around town next go around.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Went there for a 1 night stay with my son for a soccer tournament. This place is awesome. When we checked in I told the lady at the desk we wanted a quite room so we can get some sleep. When we got to our room the phone rings and the Manager tells me that they will have a function at the hotel that evening with a live band and thus they would like to move us up to a higher floor, away from the music! We said OK and went to the restaurant for dinner (which was very good). When we got back to the front desk to pick up our new keys they told us that they have upgraded us to a suite... say what? I'm a frequent traveller but I don't even have status at this hotel (since it's not a chain)... awesome experience, great staff, great food, great night sleep. We'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Apex-997
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

We love hearing that you had a good night sleep! Our design team puts continued effort into ensuring our guests experience a comfortable and restful stay in all of our rooms. It is great that you and your son ate at the Green Valley Grill here at the hotel, I hope that it was excellent "fuel" for his next game. Thank you for coming to the O. Henry, we do hope to see you again soon!

Cheers,
Martha

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Lovely setting, excellent service, great food. All the makings of a great get-away! Easy access to big shopping center and amazing restaurants only a few blocks away (short drive). Lovely arboretum in walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Bryn D

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Even more exciting is that you ventured out and explored the area! We agree that The Shops at Friendly and the arboretum, both just a "stone's throw away" from the O.Henry, are a great way to experience the Greensboro area. Next time you are here, be sure to borrow one of our guest loaner bikes to transport you to your adventures; we have two at the hotel that are complimentary to our guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Martha

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had previously stayed at the other property owned by this group, The Proximity, so on a recent business trip I tried the O Henry. I will say I liked it much better. First, they have a continental breakfast that is part of your stay, no additional cost. The Proximity does not do this. Although I do generally like the food better at their restaurant than I do at the O. Henry.

The staff stood out for me at this hotel... the treatment was more on par for what I would expect of a higher priced, upscale hotel. They were very happy to take care of the couple of requests I had. The room was very nice and comfortable and you can even crack the windows, which is nice. I agree with one of the other reviewer's opinion of the bathroom, it is one of the nicest hotel bathrooms I have seen. There is a separate shower from the tub and also a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom that can be used to get ready if there is more than one person staying in the room. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank leighkx
Martha B, General Manager at O.Henry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Oh! we're so excited you have stayed at our sister hotel as well and shared your experiences at both. O.Henry's Old World feel is very different from Proximity's modern take but Southern hospitality and genuine service is a mission that both share.

It's great to hear that you experienced genuine service from our staff and experienced the many design features at the O.Henry. The design team touches most everything we do from the amenities, to the environment that surrounds you. Most everything has been touched and gone through a filter and process before anything is implemented. We are so glad you even noticed the windows that provide fresh air in our guestrooms. You can read more about our design processes in a Rambling by Dennis Quaintance in our Fall 2012 Newsletter – available on our website. It's a great read!