“Great boutique hotel”
Review of O.Henry Hotel

O.Henry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed 25 September 2006

This hotel surprised me in a great way. It's in a rather unlikely setting for a boutique hotel-- across the street from an outdoor mall, amidst office buildings-- but it's a concept very well executed.

My room was on the bottom floor of the hotel, near the gym. I got the impression these rooms aren't usually the best ones, as I was given an option of waiting till later to get a room on a different floor, but I just wanted to check in, so I took this one. It was a great room. There was foot traffic outside the window, so I kept the thinner shade closed, but it was fine.

The bed was very comfortable, and I also had a sitting area and desk. GREAT bathroom-- retro tiles, very nice tub, and I think Aveda toiletries. Had to ask for conditioner (for some reason it's not standard in the room-- odd) but it was brought to me within about 2 minutes of my request. You also get a copy of O Henry's short stories in your room (and you can take it home). It's just got a lot of nice touches. If I had to offer one criticism, it's that the business center was a bit small-- I had to walk by it to get to the elevators, and it seemed like there were people waiting relatively frequently. But if you're a business traveler who has a laptop and doesn't need to print, this wouldn't affect you at all.

They also offer free local transportation via London taxicabs, which is really nice. I had one run me over to the shops across the street, then walked back. The mall is convenient if you forgot anything (there's a pharmacy, a department store, a Gap, a luggage store, etc.).

Breakfast was excellent, as was the hotel's restaurant. I have to second (or third, or tenth... everyone's mentioned this!) previous reviewers who've mentioned how great the "Nutty Irishman" dessert is. Get one. Seriously.

Overall: I recommend this hotel highly and would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank GinAndTonic

Reviewed 23 January 2006

A girlfriend of mine and I stayed here while in town for a wedding. We were originally supposed to share a king-sized bed since that was the only room type availble through the wedding rate. We were happy to find as we walked in our room that there were two queen-sized awaiting us!
The room was large and comfortable. A kickin' CD player, soft beds and linens, terry cloth robes hanging in the closet and Aveda products in the bathroom.
We also enjoyed ourselves at the bar for a post-wedding night cap.
I would certainly stay here again if I ever find myself in the area.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank gwenniepigz
Reviewed 11 January 2006

This is not your typical hotel. The location is great (next to a bunch of shopping and two major roads). While it's only 7 or 8 years old, it looks like (and feels solid like) it's been around for 100 years. It's beautiful, the rooms look like new and are very clean and large (love the bath), and the staff is super friendly and professional. We loved hanging out in the grand lobby, including afternoon tea. We had one of the best dinners at their restaurant, Green Valley Grill. We planned to do a lot of Christmas shopping while we were there, but we ended up staying the hotel the entire time. What a great break from reality. And we live just a few hours away. Lucky us.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank TravelingMarcus07
Reviewed 12 October 2005

My wife and I have stayed at the O'Henry 3 or 4 times over the past five years. We are "locals" and go there for as a week-end retreat. One of our stays was, in fact, New Years Eve, 2002. This hotel consistently provides excellent service and exceptional value. Each staff person is courteous and friendly; each visit leaves us planning to come again. The rates are a little high, so we must pace ourselves. The dining room is one of Greensboros finest. We think the overall high quality of ones experience is primarily because the staff are obviously trained to respect us as guests and to try and meet our every need.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank austin-healey
A TripAdvisor Member
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 August 2005

My husband and I stayed at the O'Henry one night after a fabulous corporate Christmas party in Greensboro. We thought it would be fun to have a night of pampering, even if it was in the same city where we lived.
Welll, were we wrong! When we arrived there was a used plate of fruit, a used container of BBQ sauce, and an empty bottle of water sitting outside the door of our room. I called down to the front desk and they removed it 20 mins. later, but with no apologies for the fact we had to step over it to enter our room.
Also, when my husband and went to bed we discovered a large blood stain on the comforter. Hotels do not routinely wash their comforters but I would think if a staff member had seen this they would report it and take care of it.
I mentioned the blood stained comforter at checkout, but once again was offered no explanation, apology, or monetary compensation.
While staying there I truly felt that because I was merely a "local" I was not getting fair treatment as a guest. Would you want to stay somewhere that the corporation did not feel that people in their own community were welcome to stay? I recommend that noone stay here because the service is subpar, and they do not appreciate the efforts of their own staff.

• Stayed: December 2004
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 April 2005

I have stayed in many cities and many places but this place would be special no matter what city you put it in. From the time we arrived we were treated as well as one could be treated. The hotel is just charming and as clean as any place I have ever stayed. From the afternoon Tea to the court yards it's just a special place. The rooms are very good sized and the bed was as comfortable as any I have ever slept in. From the Sheets to the actual mattress this was as good as sleeping can get. Each room also has a full sofa and full size stuffed chairs. The rooms even have there own ventilation systems which guarantee's your own fresh air into your room...not the usual recycled hotel air. On top of this you get a free breakfast buffet. The pool is outdoors and quite small as is the fitness room but again both clean, neat and nice. The charm of the south is alive here. Even there shuttles are special as they are the english style cabies but with plenty of room and again very neat and clean. The restaurant is the Green Valley grill and is just plain great. We ate there a couple of times and the service and food were both wonderful and not overly expensive with an extensive wine list. All in all this place is worth the price if you really want a good nights sleep with alittle bit of southern comfort.

• Stayed: January 2005
10  Thank redsox19
A TripAdvisor Member
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 3 March 2005

This had to be one of the finest stays that I have ever had at any hotel. My wife planned a secret destination get away for our anniversary. While Greensboro might not be top on you get away locations, the O'Henry and it's Green Valley Grill (a smoothly run operation with a tremendous menu that has earned its obvious popularity) will make you think you've headed to the big city!

As far as service goes, here is a quick story. My wife had packed a picnic lunch for us to snack on when we arrived at the hotel. We had some cheeses and wines. It was very sweet :) Well the O'Henry staff, doing a great job, cleaned up and took the platter (no doubt thinking it was from room service). A call to the front desk with a quick explanation brought about a knock on my door about 10 minutes later with the platter and even the little cheese knives we'd gotton on our last trip to Canada. To me, that kind of recovery speaks volumes about a well run hotel!

To recap, going to Greensboro and want a great place to stay? Pick the O'Henry.

• Stayed: February 2005