“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2007

This is a gorgous hotel. It is very clean, comfortable, and they offer great service. The lobby is a beautiful wood with high ceilings and well furnished. Even the elevators are beautiful. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. Coming in from a morning run on a near by trail I was greated by the doorman with a fresh towel and a bottle of water! The room was large, bed comfortable, furniture very nice but the bathroom and dressing room were amazing. A glassed in shower AND a ceramic tub. And it was large. The room had a thermostat which I really prefer. My only quibble was the $8.95 charge for wireless Internet acces. That's a pet peeve. We didn't get to eat there but the brunch menu looked awesome. We met up with friends who said their parents travel all over the world and they say the O'Henry is their favorite hotel in the whole world. I can see why. It has a cozy friendly feel but it's very classy.

• Liked — Large rooms and bathrooms.
  • Disliked — The charge for Internet access
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2007

This was a fantastic hotel! The room was absolutely beautiful, the lobby was stunning, and the food was amazing. Every staff member, from the hotel desk clerks to the restaurant workers were friendly yet professional. The bed was so comfortable, as was the pull-out sleeper sofa. The staff was kind and very accomodating to my mother, who uses a wheelchair. The handicapped accessible room we stayed in was spacious and well planned out. It also really helped that it was on the first floor. All the amenities in the hotel were superb and the decor was very classy and beautiful. If you travel here, make sure and check out the Americanized Afternoon Tea. It made for a really special experience.

• Liked — Delicious complimentary hot breakfast buffet, great service from all staff, beautiful decor, soundproof rooms
  • Disliked — Extra blanket stored in drawer was scratchy--all other linens were expensive and comfy
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2006

We enjoyed a one-night stay at the O.Henry in October, 2006. We were in town for a nearby college football game, and found the hotel to be exceptionally comfortable and well-run. The rooms were very well designed, clean, and comfortable. Some highlights include the windows that can open, outstanding bedding, and first-class bathroom layout and amenities. We also had dinner at the hotel restaurant, which was above average. The hotel lobby was attractive and comfortable, although it would have been nice to have been offered drinks and service in the lobby area. Highly-recommended hotel in Greensboro.

• Liked — Room quality
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Brad S
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2006

This hotel surprised me in a great way. It's in a rather unlikely setting for a boutique hotel-- across the street from an outdoor mall, amidst office buildings-- but it's a concept very well executed.

My room was on the bottom floor of the hotel, near the gym. I got the impression these rooms aren't usually the best ones, as I was given an option of waiting till later to get a room on a different floor, but I just wanted to check in, so I took this one. It was a great room. There was foot traffic outside the window, so I kept the thinner shade closed, but it was fine.

The bed was very comfortable, and I also had a sitting area and desk. GREAT bathroom-- retro tiles, very nice tub, and I think Aveda toiletries. Had to ask for conditioner (for some reason it's not standard in the room-- odd) but it was brought to me within about 2 minutes of my request. You also get a copy of O Henry's short stories in your room (and you can take it home). It's just got a lot of nice touches. If I had to offer one criticism, it's that the business center was a bit small-- I had to walk by it to get to the elevators, and it seemed like there were people waiting relatively frequently. But if you're a business traveler who has a laptop and doesn't need to print, this wouldn't affect you at all.

They also offer free local transportation via London taxicabs, which is really nice. I had one run me over to the shops across the street, then walked back. The mall is convenient if you forgot anything (there's a pharmacy, a department store, a Gap, a luggage store, etc.).

Breakfast was excellent, as was the hotel's restaurant. I have to second (or third, or tenth... everyone's mentioned this!) previous reviewers who've mentioned how great the "Nutty Irishman" dessert is. Get one. Seriously.

Overall: I recommend this hotel highly and would stay there again.

• Liked — comfortable beds and extra-clean, well-designed bathrooms
  • Disliked — no real complaints here
  • Tips/Secrets — there's a jar of candy at the reception desk :)
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank GinAndTonic
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2006

A girlfriend of mine and I stayed here while in town for a wedding. We were originally supposed to share a king-sized bed since that was the only room type availble through the wedding rate. We were happy to find as we walked in our room that there were two queen-sized awaiting us!
The room was large and comfortable. A kickin' CD player, soft beds and linens, terry cloth robes hanging in the closet and Aveda products in the bathroom.
We also enjoyed ourselves at the bar for a post-wedding night cap.
I would certainly stay here again if I ever find myself in the area.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank gwenniepigz
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2006

This is not your typical hotel. The location is great (next to a bunch of shopping and two major roads). While it's only 7 or 8 years old, it looks like (and feels solid like) it's been around for 100 years. It's beautiful, the rooms look like new and are very clean and large (love the bath), and the staff is super friendly and professional. We loved hanging out in the grand lobby, including afternoon tea. We had one of the best dinners at their restaurant, Green Valley Grill. We planned to do a lot of Christmas shopping while we were there, but we ended up staying the hotel the entire time. What a great break from reality. And we live just a few hours away. Lucky us.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank TravelingMarcus07
lexington, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2005

My wife and I have stayed at the O'Henry 3 or 4 times over the past five years. We are "locals" and go there for as a week-end retreat. One of our stays was, in fact, New Years Eve, 2002. This hotel consistently provides excellent service and exceptional value. Each staff person is courteous and friendly; each visit leaves us planning to come again. The rates are a little high, so we must pace ourselves. The dining room is one of Greensboros finest. We think the overall high quality of ones experience is primarily because the staff are obviously trained to respect us as guests and to try and meet our every need.

• Stayed August 2005