“Adequate”

Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Princeton, NJ
“Adequate”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with two teenage boys who were competing in a local sporting event. The hotel is adequate for short stays.

Located at the north end of "downtown" Greensboro, it was convenient to get to the Greenboro A&T College stadium. It is also close (two or three blocks) to the minor league baseball stadium (Greensboro Grasshoppers). Downtown itself seems to close up after 5 pm... there are a few restaurants but a thriving metropolis this is not. (Restaurants... Nico's upscale Italian and Smith Street Diner for breakfast if you don't need to eat healthy, the place called "Venice" doesn't feel very clean and has either an eclectic menu or is downright schizophrenic... Italian and Mexican though I had a Greek Salad.).

We were on the 6th floor of the hotel which provided a decent view. The hotel was clean, though perhaps could use some updating. Shower head was tall enough for me to stand under (at 6 feet) and had good pressure. We parked in the hotel garage ($11 per day) and they provided a pass that made getting in and out quick and easy. Room service late-night bacon cheeseburger and fries got very high marks from teen boys.

The only criticisms are that despite the signage, there is no longer a whirlpool at the pool, and it is criminal in this day and age to be charging $9.95 per day for wifi!

Room Tip: Upper floors have decent views as Greensboro has few tall buildings.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We passed through Greensboro and used the opportunity to catch a minor league baseball game in a great new stadium. We chose this hotel because it is a mere 1/3 mile from the stadium. The hotel was very comfortable and the staff was very accommodating when asked for a fridge and extra towels. Water pressure was very good even on the 11th floor. We were there on a Sat. night and there seemed to be loads of free parking in metered spaces around hotel. The breakfast buffet was wonderful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Clinton, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My family visited Greensboro for my mother and her twin sister's 65th birthdays. We arrived at the hotel early due to some family being Elite Reward Points members and were guarenteed early check ins. Once at the counter, there was an obviously new employee that was very sweet, yet needed help in several areas of the early check in process. Those within earshot were shocked at the way more seasoned employees talked down and rolled their eyes at this newbie. Once seeing me in my pregnant state, my husband and I were informed we would be allowed to check in early as we to put my legs up after touring the International Civil Rights Museum a couple blocks from the hotel. Once we returned around 2pm, our room was still not ready. After several minutes we were given keys to a room with a dusty floor and an odd odor. I was surprised to see an older model box style television with no HD. I did not want to complain due to my legs starting to swell. I went down the hall to rest in my mother's room and when I walked in I noticed folded, dirty towels and face cloths intended for her and my sister to utilize! I could not believe at the rate we were paying, the type of oversight in minor details! Later that night my sister realized she could not get the air conditioning to go off which made their room feel like an igloo while the air in our room across the hall did not seem to work. The family checked out before 11am to get relief from the dueling temps in the rooms. We probably will not revisit this particular location unless there is extensive upgrading and bathrooms are somehow expanded because being pregnant and being afraid to bump your tummy into the door at every turn is no picnic!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank missbell910
Austin, Tx
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and i stayed three nights at the Mariott in downtown Greensboro, NC
The hotel was clean, bed wonderfully comfortable and staff excellent~ We were surprised and totally delighted. Their workout center was small but adequate.

The location is great, easy to get around on foot and by car.
We would stay there again if returning to Greensboro.

We discovered a delightful coffe shop around the corner (a great little coffee shop around the corner...IGreat coffee, good light snacks (homemade baclava, muffins...) cool place to sit and enjoy your coffee, good music and very kind owner...Via Dolce Aroma coffee Bar~)
and a really good brewery called Natty Greene's...both walking distance frm this hotel~

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the elevator: if there is a problem with your room (one nite we returned fr...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Donato P, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with others about your stay at the Greensboro Marriott. We truly appreciate your feedback and are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again!
Houston
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is my preferred hotel when I'm in Greensboro for work. Location is great: walking distance to lots of good restaurants and bars, right by the baseball field if you want to go to games. Staff is nice. It looks dated from the lobby and hallways on the guest room floors, but the rooms themselves are very nice and updated.

If you have status, the concierge lounge has decent breakfast. Eggs, oatmeal, fresh fruit, sodas, juices, etc. It's free if you have access, so I'm a fan. Contrary to lots of these reviews, I think they have fixed the lack of hot water issue. I've never had an issue with hot water here. Beds are comfortable, rooms are a decent size and very clean and the bathrooms have marble counters.

I don't like eating in hotels if I have to pay for it, but I did have dinner here once. It was average quality and only moderately overpriced, so pretty much your standard hotel fare. That being said, I don't intend to pay to eat here frequently.

Good things: concierge lounge, beds, room cleanliness, convenient parking garage, fast internet

Bad things: the TVs in the rooms are old box style, the gym is seriously lacking in most things (just has a few treadmills and some free weights)

Conclusion: this Marriott is your standard business hotel. There is nothing terribly awesome about it, but there also isn't anything wrong with it either.

Room Tip: Go higher to get a better view, but it isn't a tall hotel to begin with (11 floors)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This hotel is way over priced. The air conditioning was broken the night I was there and everyone was miserable. You have to pay for wi fi. You have to pay for breakfast. The hotel is older and musty.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Downtown Greensboro is not that big but I thought since I need to be there on business its best to be in the middle of everything. To be fair if I go back I'll probably stay at the High Point as its just as good at being located to the highway for client visits.
This is a basic Marriott with the best thing(s) being the onsite parking and great concierge floor and staff. The hotel has a restaurant which was used for a breakfast meeting. Unfourtunately the options for breakfast were slim and slimmer, it was a bit embarrassing to talk business across the limited fare of dry muffins and coffee.
However I will say the concierge manager (Pam) the night before was great fun and the snacks made up for the limited restaurant options in downtown. Staff rates an A+ other offerings a B.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business