“Friendly but inept”

Greensboro Marriott Downtown
Ranked #19 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I wrote a review of this hotel about a year and a half ago and have stayed here several times since, but I feel the need to update my thoughts while downgrading my rating.

The staff is indeed friendly (sometimes obsequiously so) but they have to walk the walk as well. From the front desk clerk who didn't know about elite Marriott member benefits to the restaurant staff that crossed the line between "unobtrusive service" and totally ignoring the customer (not just me but those dining around be as well) indicates service failure, plain and simple no matter how many "good day's" are directed towards you.

My room was a bit shopworn with peeling/patched wallpaper in the bathroom and carpet that showed soiling, even through the pattern. The TV channels have been upgraded since my first review where there are now some hi-def channel options, but there is no HBO (despite the web site saying it was offered). On the plus side, the bed seemed more comfortable than I remembered from past stays and on king beds there are now four real king-sized pillows rather than the mix of large decorative pillows with tiny sleeping pillows used in the past.

I would now recommend this hotel only if you get a very good price or if you absolutely must have those Marriott points.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

First and foremost, I apologize for the inconveniences you endured during your visit with us. This is not how we want ourselves to be portrayed nor do we want any guest thinking we are "inept".

Sometimes our Southern Hospitality may be perceived as "obsequious", but I can assure you it is genuine and not to be mistaken as anything else. We pride ourselves in our hospitable nature and welcoming demeanors. I am sorry you felt as though it was anything but sincere.

Additionally, all of our associates are trained with the proper tools to know the ins and outs of reward member benefits, and there is no excuse for not being able to offer this to you. We will be sure to correct this issue and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are continually making improvements to each and every sleeping room, and apologize for any cosmetic issues you encountered. However, we are very glad to hear that you noticed the new mattress and pillows. (All 280 sleeping rooms now have new beds!)

I personally hope that the next time you are in the area you will let us know, and extend to us another chance to regain your loyalty. Thank you for your review now and from 2012. We look forward to seeing you again. Safe travels!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

As a business traveler, and this was the roughest experience I’ve had in a long while, and a bad reflection on the Marriott brand. Woke up at 3:56 AM sweating, in a room at 85 degrees, the thermostat had failed. I did not expect the thermostat to be as dated as the room décor. The room was clean, the shower was hot, and the bed was comfortable, but a restful night sleep is a must, and a clear expectation at any hotel, especially a Marriott! Poorly trained staff….when I complained about the room, the clerk got the deer in the headlights look, not knowing what to say, except to comp my breakfast, and to “hope my stay the next time will be more enjoyable.” (Next time, really?) Another example…. at breakfast, the hostess passed eight empty tables and seated me next to a polite, but loud, visiting collegiate swim team. I was clearly a business traveler, looking to read my paper and enjoy a simple breakfast, while gathering my thoughts for the coming day; I was not an athlete’s parent. Why seat me there with an open dining room? Yet another example….an assistant manager called when I was away, and left a an annoying unscripted message that mispronounced my simple name, and droned on for 45-seconds, thanking me for staying, call if you need anything, please come again, blah, blah, blah. I had to answer the message and listen to it all, or the light on the telephone would flash all night and keep me awake. The staff is poorly trained, and they do not know the business traveler. This management team mistakes friendliness for good service.

2  Thank GateCheckFlyer
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear GateCheckFlyer,

I would like to personally apologize for all of these inconveniences you encountered during your recent visit with us.

Addressing first the thermostat issue: it is, at times, out of our control when these types of things happen. It is very unfortunate that it would happen while a guest was in a room, but I assure you that we continually check and maintain these types of things. I am very sorry to hear that your sleep was interrupted because of this, but we do appreciate you letting us know so that we can correct this immediately.
Secondly, I am sorry you feel as though our staff is "poorly trained". Our Hotel is currently ranked as the #7 (out of 355 in the USA) in Marriott Full Service properties, and we take much pride in our training process. I can speak for every associate when I say that we all care about each and every guest, situation, and issue that may arise. I will be sure to reiterate to all of our staff the procedure and steps that are to be put into action when handling a guest's issue so that this does not happen again.
Finally, I do have much faith and confidence in our team here and wish that your next visit to Greensboro should be with us. Announce your stay and we will be sure to show you the service you are to expect and love. Thank you for your time and post. Have a wonderful day and safe travels!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Hotel is older, but has been renovated. King room was spacious and bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was very small and cramped. Concierge lounge on 10th floor was very nice with a good breakfast. All staff members were very friendly and willing to go out of their way to help with anything. Overall good stay and I would return if in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Scientist,

Thank you for taking the time to post these delightful comments for our Hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests!

We are pleased to hear that you thought highly of our staff and that you will be returning the next time you are in the area. Also, thank you for noticing our renovation; we're also very pleased with the results! Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I recently stayed 3 nights at this Marriott property for a training seminar. While the lobby was quite inviting and open, when I entered my room, I thought I had walked through a time machine. This was exactly the carpet, decor and furniture from the Marriott's I remember from the late 80's, early 90's. While still very clean, and the beds up to Marriott comfort standards, that means excellent, the rooms are in dire need of an update. Not to mention, I was on the Concierge Level!

This is an unfortunate situation, as the staff at this property is some of the best I have encountered. Extremely personable, and always asking to assist in any way. If you get a chance, stop by the lobby bar, and ask for Meaghan. She is a southern hospitality treat!

Once this property gets a full update on the rooms, it will be THE place to stay in Greensboro.

Note- I am not in any way affiliated with the Marriott organization. I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite Member traveling the world, and offering my view on Marriott properties.

Mr. Marriott Man,

We are overjoyed by the quality of hospitality you encountered during your visit with us! We are also happy to hear that you know the distinction between our excellences in mattress quality opposed to others. As of the first week in February, we had brought brand new mattresses into every guest room; glad you like them.

We are also very pleased to know that you received "some of the best" staff service from our associates, including Meaghan. We will be sure to let her know she was a "real treat"!

As for your sleeping room expectation, it is unfortunate to hear that you were less than satisfied. All of our sleeping rooms had undergone renovation in 2009-2010, and we are continuing to make improvements.

From all of us here at the Greensboro Marriott Downtown, we sincerely appreciate your time and consideration. It is comments such as yours that let us know we are doing a great job in hosting our guests and representing our Marriott Brand successfully! (And what a wonderful username you have...)

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Yuck.

Not disgusting but not worth the price. No amenities. Great staff just not a great facility.

Air conditioning works, after they come and drained the water but they let it run onto the floor.

The restaurant had good food for a hotel and again, great staff.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Miata94M
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Miata94M

Thank you for your recent stay at the Greensboro Marriott Downtown.
We genuinely appreciate your taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Survey regarding your recent visit. We want every guest to experience nothing less than an exceptional stay and your feedback is vital in accomplishing our goal. It is very
helpful to see not only where we are excelling but also where we are falling short.

You are a valued guest and nothing could be more important to me than regaining your trust in the Marriott Brand. I sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back soon and provide you with the positive experience that you have come to expect from Marriott.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

First thing make sure you ask for any information about your stay we were not told there was breakfast being served on the third floor and I personally paid for 3 rooms and the rest of the wedding block was not told about breakfast so it cost my husband and I over $60.00 for the family to have breakfast. Which if we had been informed we would of ate at the hotel on the 3rd floor. Leon was very helpful with our bags and getting ice up to the 8th floor for all 7 rooms being rented Thanks Leon!! My key also had a lot of problems so I spent time running to the front desk several times and they gave us a free movie thank you. Overall very clean and friendly

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for your reply Jaci E!

We take each comment and issue very seriously and always appreciate feedback. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience of confusion you encountered. The Hotel does not provide any sort of food service on our sleeping room floors (3-11) other than room service and concierge on the 10th floor. We do have a full service restaurant on the lobby level and feel terrible if you were informed otherwise. We are, however, very pleased to hear of your experience with our staff and Leon! We will certainly let him know of the job well done. We all hope to have you as our guest again in the future. Thank you again!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed for one night at this renovated hotel located in downtown Greensboro. Everything was satisfactory. The front desk staff was courteous, the room very comfortable and the breakfast buffet, the highlight. The only negative thing I can report is that I had a room that had an adjoining door to the next room and I could hear very clearly the discussion in the next room. I don't know if the walls for those types of rooms are thinner, but I'd probably prefer a regular room that didn't adjoin next time.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear C H,

Thank you very much for your great respond about our hotel, front desk and breakfast buffet. All of us here at Greensboro Marriott Downtown are very sincere in the way of making our guests feel welcome by letting our friendly demeanor shine. We are so sorry about noise issues due to adjoining room and please let us know on your next visit and we will be happy to put this request on your Marriott profile so you can enjoy and relax.