“Wonderful hotel!”

Ranked #20 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Great Falls, Virginia
“Wonderful hotel!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here on business over the past 4 days. The service is great -- the Concierge who greeted us in the lobby, our bellhop, the front desk and restaurant staffs, even the gentleman in facilities who said hello and asked how our stay was going. It's a good location, and the rooms are clean and updated. Have traveled a great deal and finding a place where the employees take pride in their hotel and work is rare. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Jan,

Thank you for taking the time to post these great comments for our Hotel and our employees. We always appreciate feedback from our guests!

We are pleased to hear that you thought highly of our staff and that you would recommend our hotel!

Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us!

H Taran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The rooms are sizable and clean. Mattresses were very comfortable. My only complaint was the noise levels. The walls were very thin and we heard full conversations from the room next door. They were not being to loud either. Staff was very friendly. I felt the rates were a little high when you add in parking, internet and paying ofr breakfast. This hotel was ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall without a connection door. The walls are thin. You can hear...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments for our hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests!

We are pleased to hear that you thought highly of our staff . We do apologize for noise issue and would like you to know we always look for ways to improve our room quietness to make our guest stay more enjoyable. Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us!
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I recently stayed with my son while visiting Greensboro College. This is the closest hotel to the school and in a nice downtown area (with restaurants and businesses). We had a very nice stay, especially nice that we were upgraded to the concierge level. The hotel is very nice and the upgrades made it very luxurious. If I can find a reasonable concierge room rate for future visits, I would definitely splurged for that - the staff working the lounge were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear LikeAlly,

Thank you very much for your great respond. I truly enjoyed reading your comment about our hotel and employees. It is our only goal to make every guest enjoy their stay and leave with great experience. We are glad that we achieve your expectations and we hope to see you on your next visit to Greensboro,

Huseyin Taran
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I wrote a review of this hotel about a year and a half ago and have stayed here several times since, but I feel the need to update my thoughts while downgrading my rating.

The staff is indeed friendly (sometimes obsequiously so) but they have to walk the walk as well. From the front desk clerk who didn't know about elite Marriott member benefits to the restaurant staff that crossed the line between "unobtrusive service" and totally ignoring the customer (not just me but those dining around be as well) indicates service failure, plain and simple no matter how many "good day's" are directed towards you.

My room was a bit shopworn with peeling/patched wallpaper in the bathroom and carpet that showed soiling, even through the pattern. The TV channels have been upgraded since my first review where there are now some hi-def channel options, but there is no HBO (despite the web site saying it was offered). On the plus side, the bed seemed more comfortable than I remembered from past stays and on king beds there are now four real king-sized pillows rather than the mix of large decorative pillows with tiny sleeping pillows used in the past.

I would now recommend this hotel only if you get a very good price or if you absolutely must have those Marriott points.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
First and foremost, I apologize for the inconveniences you endured during your visit with us. This is not how we want ourselves to be portrayed nor do we want any guest thinking we are "inept".

Sometimes our Southern Hospitality may be perceived as "obsequious", but I can assure you it is genuine and not to be mistaken as anything else. We pride ourselves in our hospitable nature and welcoming demeanors. I am sorry you felt as though it was anything but sincere.

Additionally, all of our associates are trained with the proper tools to know the ins and outs of reward member benefits, and there is no excuse for not being able to offer this to you. We will be sure to correct this issue and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are continually making improvements to each and every sleeping room, and apologize for any cosmetic issues you encountered. However, we are very glad to hear that you noticed the new mattress and pillows. (All 280 sleeping rooms now have new beds!)

I personally hope that the next time you are in the area you will let us know, and extend to us another chance to regain your loyalty. Thank you for your review now and from 2012. We look forward to seeing you again. Safe travels!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2014

As a business traveler, and this was the roughest experience I’ve had in a long while, and a bad reflection on the Marriott brand. Woke up at 3:56 AM sweating, in a room at 85 degrees, the thermostat had failed. I did not expect the thermostat to be as dated as the room décor. The room was clean, the shower was hot, and the bed was comfortable, but a restful night sleep is a must, and a clear expectation at any hotel, especially a Marriott! Poorly trained staff….when I complained about the room, the clerk got the deer in the headlights look, not knowing what to say, except to comp my breakfast, and to “hope my stay the next time will be more enjoyable.” (Next time, really?) Another example…. at breakfast, the hostess passed eight empty tables and seated me next to a polite, but loud, visiting collegiate swim team. I was clearly a business traveler, looking to read my paper and enjoy a simple breakfast, while gathering my thoughts for the coming day; I was not an athlete’s parent. Why seat me there with an open dining room? Yet another example….an assistant manager called when I was away, and left a an annoying unscripted message that mispronounced my simple name, and droned on for 45-seconds, thanking me for staying, call if you need anything, please come again, blah, blah, blah. I had to answer the message and listen to it all, or the light on the telephone would flash all night and keep me awake. The staff is poorly trained, and they do not know the business traveler. This management team mistakes friendliness for good service.

2 Thank GateCheckFlyer
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear GateCheckFlyer,

I would like to personally apologize for all of these inconveniences you encountered during your recent visit with us.

Addressing first the thermostat issue: it is, at times, out of our control when these types of things happen. It is very unfortunate that it would happen while a guest was in a room, but I assure you that we continually check and maintain these types of things. I am very sorry to hear that your sleep was interrupted because of this, but we do appreciate you letting us know so that we can correct this immediately.
Secondly, I am sorry you feel as though our staff is "poorly trained". Our Hotel is currently ranked as the #7 (out of 355 in the USA) in Marriott Full Service properties, and we take much pride in our training process. I can speak for every associate when I say that we all care about each and every guest, situation, and issue that may arise. I will be sure to reiterate to all of our staff the procedure and steps that are to be put into action when handling a guest's issue so that this does not happen again.
Finally, I do have much faith and confidence in our team here and wish that your next visit to Greensboro should be with us. Announce your stay and we will be sure to show you the service you are to expect and love. Thank you for your time and post. Have a wonderful day and safe travels!
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Hotel is older, but has been renovated. King room was spacious and bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was very small and cramped. Concierge lounge on 10th floor was very nice with a good breakfast. All staff members were very friendly and willing to go out of their way to help with anything. Overall good stay and I would return if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Scientist,

Thank you for taking the time to post these delightful comments for our Hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests!

We are pleased to hear that you thought highly of our staff and that you will be returning the next time you are in the area. Also, thank you for noticing our renovation; we're also very pleased with the results! Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us!
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I recently stayed 3 nights at this Marriott property for a training seminar. While the lobby was quite inviting and open, when I entered my room, I thought I had walked through a time machine. This was exactly the carpet, decor and furniture from the Marriott's I remember from the late 80's, early 90's. While still very clean, and the beds up to Marriott comfort standards, that means excellent, the rooms are in dire need of an update. Not to mention, I was on the Concierge Level!

This is an unfortunate situation, as the staff at this property is some of the best I have encountered. Extremely personable, and always asking to assist in any way. If you get a chance, stop by the lobby bar, and ask for Meaghan. She is a southern hospitality treat!

Once this property gets a full update on the rooms, it will be THE place to stay in Greensboro.

Note- I am not in any way affiliated with the Marriott organization. I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite Member traveling the world, and offering my view on Marriott properties.

Mr. Marriott Man,

We are overjoyed by the quality of hospitality you encountered during your visit with us! We are also happy to hear that you know the distinction between our excellences in mattress quality opposed to others. As of the first week in February, we had brought brand new mattresses into every guest room; glad you like them.

We are also very pleased to know that you received "some of the best" staff service from our associates, including Meaghan. We will be sure to let her know she was a "real treat"!

As for your sleeping room expectation, it is unfortunate to hear that you were less than satisfied. All of our sleeping rooms had undergone renovation in 2009-2010, and we are continuing to make improvements.

From all of us here at the Greensboro Marriott Downtown, we sincerely appreciate your time and consideration. It is comments such as yours that let us know we are doing a great job in hosting our guests and representing our Marriott Brand successfully! (And what a wonderful username you have...)