“Nice Business Trip”

Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice Business Trip”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Was at the Grandover for one night for a conference on 6/27 and 6/28. Check in was quick and accurate. The room was clean and had plenty of room as well as a refridgerator/bar/sink between the bathroom and bedroom.The meeting facilities were nice and and the food served for the dinner was delicious.
I ate breakfast at the lobby restaurant and the food was good as well as reasonably priced. Fortunately I had time to play at their golfcourse too (West course) Nice course and good service. I look forward to bringing my wife here for a weekend for relaxing and the Spa.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mlr8105

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I have stayed here before but I didn't write a review. This is a great hotel to stay at with family w/ kids and also as a couple. You can not beat the price for all the amenities and niceness of the hotel. They have a nice indoor/outdoor pool and also a hot tub which are both open late. Also they have a great spa, it was a little expensive but definitely worth it.

1 Thank Travelin4300
chapel hill, nc
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed at the Grandover for a business conference 6/23-26. While;e they handled the business functions with good service, the experience was otherwise disappointing. When you first pull up to this opulent and very large resort, you get that "Ritz Carlton" feeling. But once you peel back the layers, the entire experience falls flat. The place just feels dated and in need of a facelift.
Check-in was easy enough, but our attendant was resigned and gave off off a "I'd rather be somewhere else" attitude, as many employees did during our stay.
At least two of the rooms had a urine smell, (the two we stayed in!)
The room service here is a DISASTER. Even the attendants complained about their manager. The entire bar/room service, pool service is in desperate need of new management.They just couldn't get ANYTHING right.
The golf courses seemed nice, but I don't play. (Someone said they plant and maintain quality fescue grass only in view of the surrounding roads.... but that the rest is dried out Bermuda.)
Our bellman was outstanding; other than that, the entire staff seemed unmotivated and unhappy.
Skip this one except for a ballroom business function. Otherwise, stay at the O'Henry or the Proximity.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room away from the elevators and with a golf course view. Check the odor before letti...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I live in Greensboro most of the time, as my wife and I also have a house in Virginia. I have worked in the computer industry all my life, and since I'm in sales, have enjoyed nice hotels all over the US and MX. This was my first time at the Grandover, and for staying there, it will may be my last.

My wife thought it would be great to stay at the Grandover on a Friday night, Saturday, kind of thing. Have dinner, get massages, sit by the pool -- you know the drill. She did a great job, and I love her for the thoughtfulness. The Grandover made it difficult though.

Here is a review of the experience:

First of all, the grounds and property -- immaculate. Remember, this is Greensboro, NC. Not exactly a world class place. However, the Grandover property and grounds made you forget you were in Greensboro, and you could have been at an international world class resort.

The staff. Vince, the bellman and valet -- as gracious as anyone who has greeted me at any great hotel. Made us feel comfortable from the beginning.

The front desk -- seemed cold and non-accomodating on both check-in and check-out. Especially, on check out. We had a spa and golf package. Apparently, we were required to carry spa "coupons" to the spa and present them (in order not to be charged for spa treatments). We did overlook this bit of red tape, and were charged on the hotel bill for our spa services, which were to be included. So, the one night stay, dinner, drinks and (2) 50 minute massage was $686. When I asked the front desk to make the correction and presented them with the coupons, I was told I needed to walk to the spa and get them to correct it. I could see that response if this was a Holiday Inn (actually no, a Holiday Inn probably would have been accommodating). So, I walked to the spa, and quickly met with a "could care less" attitude from the spa supervisor. She told me I needed to have a seat while she fixed the problem, and after about 15 minutes and her getting another person to help (a girl who was on her game), the spa supervisor told me she fixed the charge. So, now, back to $506. Oh, and I should say that the massage was good -- a little impersonal and heavy handed, but good.

Dinner -- was not what I expected. Wife's Chilean Sea Bass was fishy, and my filet mignon was cold and pretty tasteless. Poor waiter must have had a huge table inside due to his time lags, but the restaurant was pretty empty and my wife and I were having great conversation. Sitting outside and overlooking the grounds was very nice.

Drinks -- this was the highlight of our experience (funny, because I'm not a bar kind of guy). The folks at the bar were friendly, and there was a big wedding party going on, so it was fun to watch the people. The bartender, Lano, was a very friendly and accomodating guy. Will definitely return for drinks.

So, when we checked out on Saturday, my wife was at the pool. I wanted to join her for a few minutes. My next experience with one of the impersonal staff at the Grandover was going to the pool. You have to have a key to get into the pool area -- for the guest trouble, it should be removed. I asked the girl behind the desk if she could pop the door for me. She said "use your key". I took it out of my pocket and did use the key, at which time she gave me a thumbs-up and a smile like "you can go [--] yourself pal". There just happened to be a manager there at the time, and his name was Tony. I related to him all the experiences and people involved -- front desk, spa supervisor, pool girl, and I have to say, Tony was great. He listened to another knuckle head complain, and he actually cared. Tony -- Thanks! You are the kind of manager that customers will give the benefit of the doubt to and consider coming back.

Anyway, I can't really say I'd go back just yet.

Greensboro
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We spent one blissful night at the Grandover Resort in Greensboro and had the pleasure of enjoying two spa treatments(massages) and then a relaxing day at the pool culminating in one of the best gourmet dinners we have had in recent memory! I also managed to squeeze in a round of golf on the West course before we had to check out the next morning at 12noon. All in all, a great place for a "staycation" in you live in the Triad area!

Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We attended a wedding at the Grandover Resort last weekend and were very pleasantly surprised at how lovely the property is. The building itself is very majestic and the grounds are beautiful as well. We are not golfers, but we were impressed with how scenic the golf course was. We reserved a room with a king-sized bed and were very pleased with the spaciousness of the room and the cleanliness. There was also a refrigerator, which we didn't expect. We arrived at noon for a 4 pm check in and were happy to learn that our room was already available to us. This allowed us to spend time at the pool before the evening wedding. All of the staff were very gracious and while we didn't eat in any of the restaurants, the catered food at the wedding was delicious. We would strongly recommend this resort for a romantic getaway or family getaway. The value, for the money, was excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We spent three nights at the Grandover and it was a very pleasant surprise! We golfed the afternoon we arrived and were really happy with the challenging and beautiful course. We played the more difficult of the two courses ( don't remember the name) and loved the hilly scenic ride that weaves through stunning homes. The course was in great shape and the pace of play was quick. We spent the next couple of days shopping at furnitureland south which is very close by. After exhausting days we enjoyed returning to great food and a comfortable environment. We ate in the restaurant and in the bar. The Bartenders were great, but the surly and lazy bar maid put a damper on the place two nights in a row. Room was spacious and comfortable. Definitely put the Grandover on your short list if you plan to be in the area for golf, shopping or High Point University. Great location, beautiful place.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator. The property hosts many conferences and weddings so it may get noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple