“Not a good experience at all - we moved as soon as possible”

Quality Inn & Suites Coliseum
Ranked #50 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Minnesota
“Not a good experience at all - we moved as soon as possible”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

A group of 16 of us in town for our childrens' basketball tournament pulled into the lot after a long travel day excited to hit the pool. We couldn't believe our eyes. The pool was GREEN and had a closed sign hanging on it. Since it was 100 degrees outside, we were not happy. The front desk employee was not aware the pool was closed or even green, but said she would get a maintenance person working on it. Meanwhile, 2 of the rooms in our party were not yet cleaned, another room had no working a/c so we all piled into one room waiting for some sort of a fix. A maintenance guy who came to work on the a/c said that the a/c just stopped working & the pool just turned green that week. He couldn't get the a/c fixed and was going to move those 4 people to a different room. Then he remembered the room he was moving them to had a plumbing 'issue'. He then tried to move them to a room with 1 king size bed. By this point we had sent a couple people down to complain to the manager about the pool and trying to get things resolved with the a/c. The manager was not sympathetic and pretty much said since we had prepaid for the rooms, too bad for us. We eventually called Delta Vacations where we had booked the airfare & hotel together. Delta called the hotel & negotiated for us. We ended up getting 100% of our money back & we hightailed it out of the Quality Inn & Suites. After wasting 3 hrs., we ended up in a hotel with a blue pool and many more amenities. Will not ever stay at this place again. We drove by it a couple more times during our week in Greensboro and the pool had turned blue again & people were laying out by it. We thought about warning them, but didn't really want to set foot on the property. The property seems slightly seedy as other reviews have said. There is no a/c in the hallways as they are very hot & there is no elevator. Some scarier looking people were checking in as we were leaving. We found a hotel right across the highway which seemed much safer & much nicer. The free wi-fi didn't work very well, either.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 11 July 2011

So I read the reviews on this hotel before deciding to stay here. I admit that they were mixed, but none of them were fairly recent, so I always take that into consideration too - things can always change during the time when no one has reviewed them. Since it was 100% smoke free and much cheaper than Comfort Suites (the only other smoke free Choice Hotel that was nearby), I decided to try it and was actually excited about being the first one to review it in awhile. Too bad for them my review is not good.

We were first put into a room around back (133) and as soon as we opened the door I got hit with a terrible smell of cigarette smoke trying to be muffled by air sprays, fresheners, deodorizers, etc. Of course that will never work. The smell will always be there. Not wanting to be a pain, I decided to just deal with it, but after sitting in there for a little while, I started to get really sick. We went out for dinner and as soon as we came back, I went in and requested another room. The front staff were nice enough, but that doesn't compensate for the accommodations. We were then put into a room upstairs, and as someone else mentioned there is no elevator, but for me this isn't an issue as it's only one level and I'm always more likely to take the stairs anyway. I actually felt better about being on the second floor because to be quite honest, I didn't feel entirely safe in the neighborhood and the other guests that were staying there made me feel uneasy, so I felt safer being upstairs with an internal door. (First floor rooms are external doors, second floor rooms are internal.)

Anyway, the hallway of the upstairs smells like cigarettes and it was very very hot - they clearly do not have the AC on in the hallway, which is fine with me, but just an FYI. The second room still had a smell, but it wasn't cigarettes, so I settled in happily. Unfortunately, the air conditioning was vibrating so loudly and neither my husband nor I could get it to stop. It was very very warm in the room, so we needed it on (and it actually ended up running for hours before the room cooled down), but the noise was ridiculous. I wasn't going to complain again so my husband played around with it for a while and finally got it to stop by jamming a pen in between the AC and a hole in the wall. We were then able to get to sleep. I got up the next morning and had to run out to the car and found out that people, not liking the non-smoking rule, instead smoke in the stairwell at the back of the hotel - which would explain why the hallway smells (that and the fact that hotel hasn't always been smoke free and that smell will never go away). I came back inside to take a shower and had absolutely no hot water. I tried turning the knob from hot to cold and back just in case the plumbing was reversed. I even tried the sink, but no go. I got in anyway, basically to wash my hair. It was so incredibly cold that I couldn't possibly stand in the stream of water. It wasn't lukewarm or slightly warm - it was cold. This was the end of the straw for me. Between a lousy neighborhood, smelly rooms and hallways, noisy A/C units, peeling paint, and no hot water, I would never stay here again. Should you decide to - be forewarned! There are a lot of other hotels within site of this one and I recommend you stay at one of those.

Also as an FYI - for some reason they do not give you the internet code when you check in - you have to call down to get it should you decide to use it (and of course almost everyone does). This is a minor issue, but still annoying.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grimmy35
RAHEJA, Owner at Quality Inn & Suites Coliseum, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
Management and owner would like others to know that we are 100% non-smoking property. We can not control what other guests do and what mother nature does. The glass window in the lobby was leaking due to the bad storm. Its not possible to repair that instantly as the guest expected. The leak was far away from the front desk so I don't understand how can the guest slip. Room 133 has been rented many times and we have had no complains. There is no hole that we were trying to hide on the walkway. Rubber mat was probably put out to dry by the housekeeper due to rains. We have the highest speed possible for the Internet and never had complains even when we are sold out. We are very proud of the renovations and the positive comments made by other guests confirm the hard work. This guest should stay at other Choice Hotels that are not a mid-scale property.
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 October 2010

i had read the reviews of this hotel and decided to stay there while on a field trip with my child and mom.......i am not sure it got the reviews that it has...it is an old bld that they have tried to remodle some, dont get me wrong,,,,service was great b/c even though it was past my time to cancel without losing my money once i got there and saw the place i did not feel comfortable staying and they did give me my money back

i dont know why they have suites attatched to the name......definitely not for families

direct surrounding area is also old hotels that look kinda dumpy also, but it is close to the mall

for those of you who these things dont bother, keep in mind that most of the hotel is outside entrances and if upstairs there is no elevator

thank you management for allowing me to have my money back so i could stay somewhere i was comfortable

• Stayed October 2010
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed 17 September 2010

This is a newer motel, easily accessible from the freeway, but also quiet & pleasant, and close to restaurants. But it was the customer service that was amazing! While staying at this Quality Inn & Suites on our way back home to Florida, I accidentally left a favorite pair of sandals in our room. When I called and spoke to the owner/general manager, she was friendly and helpful, found my sandals, and mailed them back to me immediately. She also called me back to let me know she had found them, and refused my offer of postage for the mailing! Not only was our stay restful in a clean, comfortable room after a long day of driving, I think I encountered the best service ever! Thank you! We'll most definitely stay with you again on our next road trip!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Providenciales
Reviewed 8 August 2010

good location surrounded with restaurants and shopping not to far from the coliesum.
The mangement and staff is very friendly and helpful. love this place.
i really recommend this hotel if travelling for business or vacation. great choice.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed 31 March 2010

The hotel is very conveniently located to the Greensboro Coliseum, the interstate, the shopping mall, various restaurants, and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. There seems to have been lots of recent renovations as the furniture and appliances appear new. The best aspect for me is the bedding; the mattress and pillows are some of the most comfortable I've slept on. There is a deluxe breakfast that offers the customary continental fare plus eggs and sausage. One negative is that the plumbing seems to be reversed (hot and cold are indicated opposite on the faucet). I don't know if this exists throughout the hotel, but I had this problem. Once I figured it out, it was not a big deal, but it's still something that should be addressed. The location isn't luxurious or charming, but It is affordably priced, very conveniently located, and a good place to get a great night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank NCSouthCarolinian
melinaT
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. They obviously have fixed it up which is good and the rooms are much nicer than they seem from the older reviews. The area it's in is not great, kind of run down, but that's not the fault of the hotel obviously and it is close to the coliseum. The rates are reasonable and I was able to get a room without a problem. The main complaint I have was the service. The woman who "helped" me was completely rude! I have worked in the service industry myself so am usually pretty understanding but she was just unreasonably rude. I had to deal with her a couple of times and I have never had such cold, unfriendly service. I know everyone has bad days but if I'm in a hotel it is because I'm on a trip or vacation, and want to be relaxed and well treated. Instead she and some of the other staff made me feel like I was a bother, an interruption and not welcome. I left this hotel with a bad feeling and won't be going back. The owners have tried making this place better and have mostly been successful but all the rennovations in the world can't help if your staff is rude.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends