“Bugs, Dirty Rags, Etc...NEVER AGAIN!!!”

Quality Inn & Suites Coliseum
Ranked #48 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Bugs, Dirty Rags, Etc...NEVER AGAIN!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is my third time staying at this hotel for an annual workshop at the Greensboro Coliseum and my previous two stays were great but this year has been a VERY different story. Upon arrival I learned that they had booked my male and female students' double rooms as adjoining rooms, even though I requested that we have no adjoining rooms unless it was a king and a double room (for a chaperone to have an adjoining room with their assigned students) because we would have boys in one room and girls in another. Unfortunately they were fully booked so I gave one of my chaperones the double room that adjoined the girls double room and I made the boys share a king room across the hall from mine. A colleague's room next door to mine had OBVIOUSLY been smoked in that day (as had the front lobby) but there are signs all over the hotel (even on my bedside table) saying that this hotel is 100% smoke free and when he picked up the phone to call the front desk, it didn't work. There had been a soda or something sticky spilled all over the tile in my entryway and my flip flop literally stuck to the floor. Two of my students staying in the room across the hall had a dirty washcloth still hanging on their shower curtain. I heard a whistling sound in my room and after I pulled my curtains back, my windows were left open with no way to lock them. I was the 2nd floor, but COME ON!

The nail in the coffin was the BUG situation. My female students called me first thing in the morning to say that they had been battling these big brown bugs all night/morning. I went down to check and there were these round brown bugs (not roaches or water bugs) ALL OVER THE ROOM! I had been fine and let all slide up to this point but now I was livid. I went to tell the front desk and they asked me if they could come in the room to fix the problem while we were at our conference during the day. When we returned I had the students go check to see if there were any signs of the bugs and the room had obviously been cleaned but as I was walking out I turned around to be eye to eye with one of the bugs on the lamp shade. I took a picture and headed to the front desk again. The attendant called the manager who said there were no signs of bugs in the room when they came in that day and argued with me! I pulled out the picture I had JUST taken to show the attendant and even after she confirmed it to him, he still maintained that there were no bugs. JERK!!! I demanded a new room or a refund immediately in order to stay somewhere else that night. There was only one room available on the other side of the hotel and it was another king so I had to shuffle my female students into my chaperone's double room next door and I had to move her to the new king room.

This was ABSOLUTELY the worst experience I have EVER had in a hotel. I travel very often and am very flexible and easy going about my hotel and I have rarely ever called the front desk about anything and this was truly a nightmare. The attendants tried their best and were very nice but the hotel manager was a complete idiot and the hotel is a complete disaster. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Luke H
RAHEJA, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Coliseum, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at our hotel past weekend. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you faced during your stay. I am very disappointed at the choice of words that you used to describe the Manager. The management has not changed since your previous stays with this Hotel. We take pride in taking care of every guest.
When you booked your rooms, there was no indication you were going to have male and female students or that you did not want adjoining rooms. When we see reservations under the same name, we usually try to put the rooms closer together. Adjoining rooms have locks and you can not connect to the other room. If you had Chaperones in the other room, this should not have been a issue. Secondly you never confirmed your reservation with any form of payment. The Front desk agent called you to confirm if you were coming and we as a courtesy held your rooms after the cancellation deadline of 4 pm. Your group was the last group to arrive and the hotel was sold out for the night. We had 14 High schools that stayed with us but not one complain.

When you first complained to the front desk in the morning, we took your complaint seriously and took care of the issue. You did not wish to change rooms at that time. As you have in the picture (stink bug) not any other bugs that is what the Head Housekeeper found in the room.
We have no idea how that bug entered the room, but we took care of it immediately. This is an indoor-outdoor hotel. We are making sure the doors are well sealed so this does not happen again.

When you complained the second time, we again apologized and explained to you what was discovered. Terminix will be out Monday to check how the Stinky bugs entered the room. The manager tried her best to explain that to you and moved you to the last available room for that night. Manager also comped the room and issued a refund for that night.
You paid by check and we were not able to refund you in cash. A check has been issued for the one night. Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding this visit.

You have stayed with us in the past and we hope you will consider this as an isolated incident and give us a chance to serve you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We came to Greensboro for A&T Homecoming and decided to book at this hotel. The location is very convenient to the university. Many restaurants are in close proximity several even walking distance. Front desk clerk who checked us in was so nice. Even printed directions for me. We got a ground floor room by the pool. Room was clean and the bes was super comfy. Breakfast was hot and there were many other items to choose from. We had a wonderful stay. Will be staying here for every trip to Greensboro.

• Stayed November 2013
RAHEJA, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Coliseum, responded to this review, 10 November 2013

Management
Lemont, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

This seemed like a good place to stay. The price was good, the pool was clean, as was the room. The bed was comfortable. However, the chair for the desk had a broken back. To her credit, when I called the front desk, the desk clerk personally delivered a replacement chair to the room within a few minutes..... it was dusty and dirty, but un-broken. The next morning, however, there was no hot water in the room. Cold showers in the morning leave a bad memory of the place. It was very quiet, well located near restaurants, so maybe this was just a fluke. I wish I could give it a higher rating.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room next to the pool. It was nice and quiet. Check the hot water first, I g...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Greensboro hotels

Greenville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed here for a convention. Beds were very comfortable, room was quiet. Air conditioner is loud, but not unbearable. Refrigerator and microwave was very handy. The front desk woman when we checked in was soooo incredibly nice! Had toothbrushes, etc available if we forgot something. Breakfast room is very small. But lots of breakfast choices. One day there was scrambled and boiled eggs and biscuits with gravy. Next there was bacon and sausage. Not the same hot stuff every day. There was cereal, fruit, yogurt and all the other stuff. Only complaint was housekeeping. They didn't vacuum the floor for a couple of days, if at all. The last night they did not replace the kleenex, glasses, coffee stuff. And the first two nights I couldn't get hot water out of the faucet. But shower was nice once I figured out how to turn it on. All in all, I would definitely stay there again. Convenient location and price was reasonable. Helped, too, that every single person I spoke to that worked there was pleasant and helpful. Not always the case!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Remodel room, new carpet, granite floor and bathroom.
Exterior looks tired. Certain old motel smell about the property that may turn people off but nothing objectionable when in room with AC on.
Good location in a hotel cluster with many restaurants within walking distance. Walmart, Costco, foods, and a lot more two freeway exit away.
All in all, a mix bag but wouldn't mind staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Visiting colleges in NC and stayed at various hotels; all booked online. I read reviews on TripAdvisor after booking this one and they scared me. I contacted the hotel once we made it to the area and explained my concerns to Sherrill who invited me to stop by and take a look before check in and if I didn't want to stay I could cancel. She said that the hotel was being renovated. I asked if we were in a renovated room and she said no so I took her up on the suggestion to visit first. When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice place. I only rated it "average" because above average is not an option and "very good" would be a little misleading.

I do agree that the property is old and the halls smell of cigarette smoke, but the room was above average. It was big (2 rm suite), clean and comfy. The pillows (although square, which I'm learning is a new "Choice Hotels" thing; I've stayed in 4 in the last 7 days) and the linen was clean and comfy. The bathroom was clean and I was left wondering what the negative reviews were talking about because they seem to be way off base. My group of 6 stayed two nights before moving to the next stop and I actually tried to reserve again for a later date, but they were already booked.

Kudos: All but one person I spoke with (I kept calling back to check availability) were professional including Sherrill, Christy and Monique; Breakfast was the new standard hot continental (waffles, sausage, eggs, pastries, cold/hot cereals, etc) and was tasty.

Cons: The pool is outdoors and not very inviting (good thing we didn't have time to swim), and an external door at the back of the hotel was propped open with a garbage can. Unfortunately, this seemed to be standard practice as it remained that way the entire stay. Didn't bother me enough to report and I didn't feel unsafe. We just made sure we locked up well.

Room Tip: If you're looking for space, request a 2-RM suite. It sleeps 6, has 2 refrigerators and TV's...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jQueen99
Archbald, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites Coliseum while attending this year's New Balance Outdoor Nationals. We thought the condition of the room, quality of bedding and free breakfast were great! Staff was great at check in, even provided us with alternative printed directions to NC A&T University. The room was equipped with new looking furniture, a flat screen TV, microwave & refrigerator. The bed was really comfortable, but would have liked bigger pillows as stated in other reviews. The breakfast provided lots of choices. I made myself a bagel sandwich with the egg & sausage patties offered. A couple negative aspects would have included the rear security door being unlocked, the pool was really small and the hallways did have a smokey smell, although 100% smoke free. (Rooms did not smell like smoke.) Will definitely plan on staying again!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a king sized bed were placed in rear building second floor with interior corridors.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple