“A nice restaurant for lunch”

Southern Lights Bistro
Ranked #68 of 886 Restaurants in Greensboro
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Markland Dr.
Greensboro, North Carolina
“A nice restaurant for lunch”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I should start by mentioning that I was here for lunch with some friends.
There is a nice sitting area outside, so when the weather is nice, that should be a first choice.
The food is good, we all had different salads, it was what you would expect, no surprises. The service was attentive but very slow, the food took about 30 minutes to get to our table.
There is a good selection of beers, and the ambience was of a nice, modern restaurant.

Visited June 2014

North Carolina
“Badly in need of dinner overhaul”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Southern lights has been one of my favorite restaurants for years. Its lunch menu of soups, salads, sandwiches, and sides continues to be outstanding.

Unfortunately, our dinner experiences of late have been disappointing and the increased number of empty tables in the evening is reflective of that. A few suggestions to reverse the trend and, hopefully, help keep up with the competition:

First, with $15 apps and $30 entrees why do they continue to use those cheap wrapped butter pats? That is just tacky, and they need to be replaced by butter in a crock and/or flavored olive oil.

A second problem is the absence of vintages on their wine list. Do they not think their customers want to know what they're drinking?

Finally, and most important, the dinner menu needs to be updated and changed more frequently as was done during it's glory years on Smyres Place. If the current chef is incapable of this, then at least add some old favorites like shrimp and grits, ossobuco, and a second pasta dish to the menu.

I hope to return to Southern Lights for many years and want it to be successful but it has fallen behind its competition during dinner. I would give it 3 1/2 stars if allowed...4 for lunch but only 3 for dinner.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank jiminnc
“Be-Back Lunch”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have been to this restaurant many times over the years but in the past year or so, it seemed to be almost struggling. The service and food had been kind of average to very good but never unsatisfactory. Today for lunch we got a nice surprise. The restaurant at 12:15pm was not crowded. It was a very cold wet day so the menu offered three or four soup choices. The waitress was extremely helpful with answering our menu questions. Each of the three in our group had a different soup & sandwich combo. Everything came out quickly. Everyone at our table loved what we had ordered. Everything was fresh and full of taste.

I am now placing SL on my list of near favorite restaurants. I plan to go back for dinner as I suspect SL may end up getting back on my "very favorite" restaurants again because today it was excellent. PS. The food is very reasonably priced. Beautiful interior, nice artwork and very clean.

• Visited March 2014
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Wonderful place for friends and food!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had a wonderful "birthday" dinner here with my girlfriends. The food was wonderful! Between the four of us, we had steak, (loved the truffle fries), salmon, lamp and the vegetarian specials! All were wonderful and everyone would order what they had again! We love this place because you can actually talk and hear each other! They have a great wine list and the service was great. Very attentive without rushing us, which is good because we were there 3 hours. I can't wait for spring when the porch will be open!

• Visited February 2014
“Lunch Fine Dining!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Today I had one of the most notable lunch experiences in, well, recent memory. Southern Lights Bistro is conveniently located on the Lawndale Drive side of the Target shopping center on Battleground Avenue. The atmosphere is casual elegance, with original artwork adorning the walls that is available for purchase. The music playlist contributes to the classy vibe by providing diners with an acoustic background for enjoying their meal.

Today was my first visit, and my server, Jason, was kind enough to prepare a soup sampler to assist me in deciding which one I enjoyed the most. My top two were the roasted vegetable bisque, and the ham and lentil bisque. I have a soft spot for a fine bisque and these two did not disappoint. I opted for the ham and lentil, and enjoyed the smokey backdrop provided by the pork to the creamy flavor profile of the bisque.

Along with the soup, I had The Tribeca which consisted of a generous portion of smoked turkey, cucumbers, spinach, and Havarti cheese tied together with an herbed mayo served on a baguette. The portion sizes were perfect (no food coma!). I finished with a chocolate mousse shooter served in a shot glass and topped with whipped cream and mini chocolate chips.

What an excellent, well balanced lunch! And the prices are very affordable. So, if you are in the mood for a classy, fine dining lunch experience conducted in a classy fine dining atmosphere, hurry on over to Southern Lights Bistro. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited January 2014