“Mediocre at best”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Greensboro
Ranked #54 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed 26 September 2009

It’s outdated and the hallways had peeling wall paper. The room was really small, which wouldn’t have bothered me so much if it hadn’t had an offensive odor. The windows open 3-4 inches so air freshener and the fan got rid of the bad smell. Breakfast options are cheap carbs, no eggs but there was some fruit. The bed was ok and the TV worked. There is a pool (shared with another hotel) and you could certainly do worse elsewhere but it was a huge come down from the Hyatt Place in Greensboro. However, if you’re on a budget then it’s acceptable for one night.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 August 2009

With a name like Microtel, you get the understanding that the hotel is small. And it is. But not in a cramped uncomfortable way, but in a very cozy, relaxing way.

When I checked in, the woman at the front desk explained to me the fastest way to get to my room, where the complimentary breakfast would be served and where the 24 hour coffee machine was (which I really enjoyed).

My room was a single but it was still very roomy. The bed was very large, a queen, and was very comfortable. It also had several large, clean pillows. One wall was lined with mirrors which gave the illusion the room was even bigger. Also, since it was a single room, there was only one bed, however, there was a windowsill bed. I didn't sleep there, but I did lay there to watch t.v. for a while just to see if it was comfortable. It was very comfortable indeed. I was traveling alone, but if I had another person with me, it would not have been hard to sleep on that at all.

The bathroom was also very nice. For being such a small room, I was unsure what the bathroom was going to be like. I was surprised at how large the bathroom actually was. It was very open, and easy to get in and out of. It was also very clean and well stocked.

My one complaint was on the television. It was small and the picture was very fuzzy. It wasn't to hard to watch and I'm sure if I had something better to do, and left the hotel room more, I wouldn't have even noticed.

Microtel also has something else great going for it: Location. Being located right behind Wendover Ave. in Greensboro, you are within a mile of stores like Walmart, and Best Buy and restaurants like Red Lobster, Waffle House, And Tripp's (Where, if you bring your room key card, you get a free appetizer). Also, if you take your room key card to the Rush Fitness Complex, you can use all the workout equipment, swimming pool and all their other facilities for free.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Microtel Inn. The service was adequate, the room was very comfortable and clean, and it was a very pleasant stay. If I ever need a room in Greensboro again, Micortel will be at the top of my list of choices.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2007

Trust me - there's a reason why this place is cheap. It smelled. It was filthy. It was outdated. We will never stay at a Microtel again!

Like the hotel desk manager said when a fellow traveler called to complain about the ants in the window of their room "This isn't the Hilton."

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 August 2006

I had reserved rooms for co-workers who began arriving on a Saturday night. By Monday, they all had checked out of the Microtel and into another hotel nearby. There was no hot water and the rooms were filthy. I will not be referring anyone else to this hotel. Besides the accommodations, it took me several weeks to get approval for a direct bill application. No one would return my calls and the front desk could not even tell me who the manager of the hotel was.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank sjconner
Reviewed 4 June 2006

We had reservations set up ahead of time through Travelocity. When we tried to get into our room we found other people's stuff still in it...shoes, clothes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. They insisted it was not occupied and since it was the last non-smoking room, they wanted to clean it up and have us stay in the room. We didn't feel right about it so we asked them to find us a new room. The second room they gave us had only one bed and there were four of us so we had to move (with our suitcases) to a third room. This room was a smoking room and reaked so badly, two cans of air freshener couldn't make the smell go away.
The room was not clean by any means. There were stains that looked like blood on the carpet and the mattresses, cigarette butts on the floor, and stains all over the desk chair. The bathroom wasn't any better. The shower curtain was fabric so it didn't keep the water from running onto the floor, which had mold and mildew building up. The baseboards were coming apart from the wall. It was overall very dirty and looked like they didn't clean it.
At 3:30 am the phone rang, waking us all up. It was the front desk and apparently the people from that first room had returned to find their room locked and their stuff gone. (The front desk clerk had removed their belongings when she tried to get us to stay in the room) They called the police who then asked to speak to one of us about the situation.
So we ended up checking out that morning and asked for a refund for the nights we weren't using. This hotel is not professional or clean. It is better to pay $10-$20 more a night and get a clean room!!

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank Buffybear
Reviewed 26 April 2004

Stayed for three days. Only complaint is that housekeeping never left enough bath cloths. Each night, we had to go to the front desk. Continental breakfast with sausage biscuits one day. Clean rooms, great price. Good location (close to stores, restaurants). Would stay here again.

9  Thank Wardsmom