“Hidden Gem?”

MJ's Steak and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
MJ's Steak and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 886 Restaurants in Greensboro
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West Friendly Ave
Transit: Corner of Guilford College Road and West Friendly Avenue.
“Hidden Gem?”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I travel and manage the east coast for a global steel manufacturer, I like to try family owned pride driven neighborhood steakhouses, but sometimes it is better to stay with the national chains!
Service was very good, the bar was priced at the Boston airport, 2 mixed drinks were $20.00; OMG!

My surf and turf was rushed in he cooking, seared beyond the taste of very good quality AA fillets with a side of Walmart, very breaded crab cakes, that were both seared. They were cooked way too fast while not being watched by chef and the rest is a top off of $70.00 before the tip for one person!

Needs to be altered by the owner who greets you, but after that is goes downhill; but to all new customers they should be priced as a local.

• Visited April 2014

simplify4y@ymail.com
“A perfect dinning experience”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

From the quaint interior beaming with a burning fireplace, I already had high hopes for this place. Luckily I was not disappointed. The food was fantastic from the shrimp and grits to the steak and frites. Even the french pressed coffee was a delightful surprise. The home made desserts were delicately sweet and superb.
A wonderful place to bring my 19 yo Guilford student here for her birthday.
Thank you!

• Visited February 2014
High Point
“Hidden Gem close to Guilford College”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I took my wife here for an early Valentines dinner. The restaurant looks like a house that was converted into a restaurant and they have outside seating in the warmer months. The décor was very nice and romantic. The bar is beautiful and stocked with all of the top brands that you would think of. The service was excellent, very friendly and helpful with explaining the items on the menu. Also let us know that we could substitute items if we wanted. I had the Tuna Tartare and it was delicious and very fresh. No fishy taste and better than Under Currents. MJ's also has Foie Gras on the menu which is hard to find unless you go to a 5 star restaurant. Foie Gras was cooked to perfection. The scallops were to die for, melt in your mouth good!!! I had to try their lobster mashed potatoes and that was another excellent choice. My wife had the Shrimp and Grits. It had a lot of creole sausage which my wife does not care for. Southern Roots may have them beat on the shrimp and grits but other than that the atmosphere and other menu items surpassed them by far. Also try their homemade lemon chess pie. Very tasty!!! The carrot cake was great too but not made at the restaurant. Seems like the chef knows where to get all the ingredients to make a great menu.

• Visited February 2014
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Didn't quite merit the great reviews”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I had a hankering for a good steak and found MJs by their Trip Advisor rating. The online menu looked just fabulous! I called to see if they were open and got talked into making a reservation by the nicest lady.

After I was seated, I learned that the online menu was not the current menu; I should have asked. I selected an alternate entree that wasn't my first choice. Until the update the website, it'll be worth your while to phone ahead about the menu. I was anticipating a filet with bernaise sauce, served with a horseradish potato gratin. What I got was a plainer filet with a wine reduction, served with mashed potatoes

The waiter forgot to light my candle. He wasn't very knowledgable about the food and kept running off to get my questions answered. The steak knife was dinky, something you'd see at the K&W. I ran dry of my main beverage, water.

The starches, oh my god! The Three Cheese Asiago bread was divine! The mashed potatoes had that wonderful, delicate aftertaste that suggests a not-stingy use of cream. My streak was cooked perfectly. The wine reduction was flawless.

The service was so-so, and not just the failure of the server. But the food was good enough that I'll go back.

Greensboro, NC
“Never fails to impress!”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

MJs is just an outstanding restaurant all around. The menu is just the right size and always has a selection of seafood, beef and chicken that is sure to meet the needs of everyone at the table. Even when I take my 12 year old there to eat, they make adjustments to the hanger steak, throw some mashed potatoes on the side, and the kid is in heaven. In general, they are great with modifications. I am one of those who has to modify everything. I don't know why...I can't help myself. They are very patient with me. Anything I have ever asked for (adjustments to sauces, switching sides, etc.), the answer was yes, of course. Frankly I look at some of the restaurants that have scored higher than this one and I am wondering what has gone amiss in some people's brains. Are you actually tasting your food at Lucky 32 and Green Valley Grill because truthfully it doesn't taste all that exceptional like everyone likes to think. MJs puts those places to shame with their culinary offerings. MJs doesn't worry so much about how things read and sound together, they worry about creating dishes with tastes that flow together. And they are less expensive to boot. Give it a try if you want a nice, quiet dinner...but make reservations! It's a physically small location that can fill up quickly.

• Visited December 2013