“one of a kind menu - attentive service too!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of African Continental Cuisine - CLOSED

African Continental Cuisine
Cuisines: African
Greensboro, North Carolina
“one of a kind menu - attentive service too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I'm not always an adventurous eater, but I'm glad this place had some fairly exotic offerings -- a nice change of pace. Great for Greensboro. I've been here twice so far and it's nice to be able to talk to the owner about his background and the various dishes.

• Visited April 2013

Virginia
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Don't be put off by the worn entry door. The food is excellent and served by genuinely friendly people who are happy to explain things to you. The Puff Puffs take time to cook, but are very much worth the wait. Their sweet ginger sauce is spicy, but since I don't like spicy food, I was able to take just a little and enjoy the excellent flavor without too much heat. The curried goat was served with a mound of flavorful rice, perfectly fried plantains and the best spinach I have ever put in my mouth. We missed the Edikan Ekan stew as we were there a little early and the owner explained that all the meats had to be added at just the right time for the flavors to come out right and it could not be rushed. Intriguing. Loved having flavors that I could not identify that blended into a perfect meal. Great place to eat.

• Visited February 2013
North Carolina
“Great food, quirky service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

Food was delicious, but service was a bit interesting.
We made a reservation for 7 on a Friday night for 6 people. When we arrived, only one other party was there. There is a small room to the left, with the majority of the dining room to the right. There is a large screen tv in the larger of the rooms. The bar area is when you directly walk in and isn't really a gathering place.
A few tables were put together for us and the server/owner left to get menus. When he returned, the menus didn't match and half were in menu holders while we were given paper copies of the rest. He was friendly but didn't offer anything to drink until later. When we told him we were interested in appetizers, he told us the only thing they had was the plaintain chips (out of 4 or 5). My father just confirmed that they didn't have something called "Puff-Puffs." The server asked us if we'd ever had them, then told us they were very good but that they take 30 minutes to cook so they wouldn't do that for us. He took our order and encouraged people to specify the spice level so that was nice. When he delivered food, he brought plates out one at a time, taking 10 minutes to deliver to all 6 of us. Several of the plates had a different style of rice, despite that not being requested or indicated on the menu but it did let us try a few different things. Waters were never refilled, and when we asked, he alternated between either taking the glasses away or bringing new glasses, none of which matched. I can tell by the decor of the restaurant that they are still newer and using other restaurant's materials or mixing glasses.

So, all of this made for a fairly long experience but the server was so sincere and genuine that it was more quirky and amusing than acting against the restaurant. Most of our party was unadventerous and had jerk chicken, but my mother tried the special stew and I had the oxtail. The oxtail was rich and fell off the bone, and a side of Moi-moi was a cake made out of beans. The plantain appetizer was tasty with the plaintains being slightly sweet with an incredibly spicy ginger sauce. The Edika Ekong stew was a rich spicy stew of spinach-like greens and beef. It comes with pounded yam which is doughy and helps to mild out some of the flavor.

Most entrees were $13-$16 and glasses of wine were roughly $5-6. They do sell liquor by the shot and have a selection of beer.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
North Carolina
“Fresh new dining in Greensboro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

The food was full of great flavor. I had read high praise of the curried goat, so I stretched myself to try something new. It was outstanding. My husband chose the jerk chicken, which he enjoyed. The fellow that served us was enthusiastic and patiently helped us make our selections. I'm ready to go back and try other dishes that are new to me.

• Visited June 2012
High Point, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sweet Africa at it again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

It feels good to actually eat food that is cooked the way my grandmother used to cook it, no preservatives no nothing. Forget all the fancy stuff that ends up tasting like rubber and chemicals. This food was real and as my son used to say, just simply yummy in my tummy. The heat was not overpowering but simply warmed up my inside like a nice glass of wine.

• Visited May 2012