“There is a reason they call it "Secret" Tea Room”
Review of Secret Tea Room Cafe - CLOSED

Secret Tea Room Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The Secret Tea Room is not what you would expect a tea room to look like.... no linen table cloths, stained tea cups, the music playing was some kind of rock. The place looked dingy.
Our Queens Tea was served on a wobbly three tiered server. The scones was sliced into pieces... very crumbly and hard to eat. The sandwiches were just ok. There were some tasteless cheese cubes that probably came out of a bag. The sweets were also just ok. The tea was good but for some reason instead of presenting the tea pot with a proper tea cozy they used a worn out denim mans beach hat... it just grossed us out... all we could think of was that the hat came off someones sweaty head. Another thing that shocked us was that there were open sugar bowls on the table... not even covered... I would think this would be a health code violation.
I could not recommend the Secret Tea Room to anyone.

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

I tried this place because I wanted a tea experience. Perhaps I am not much of the tea drinker because the cup of tea was pretty flavorless to me. It smelled wonderful but tasted like hot water. However, the food was great. I had the Lisa's pirouette. It's a French baguette with chicken and tomatoes. I also ordered the scone with strawberry and Devonshire cream for dessert. The cream was soooooo good and the scone was pretty big. We were only 2 or four people there on Thursdays around 2 it's not crowded. For just under 18$ I had a sandwich with chips and a large scone with a cup of tea. I would go back for the food not the tea. But then again I don't think the tea was to blame I think it's my taste buds.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I try to visit at least once a month. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel special while you are their. The garden fresh vegtables are picked from their garden behind the building. The meals are all made as healthy as possible. The soups are whatever is in season and they are so tasty. My favorite is the Crab Cake Ya Ya...fresh crab meat, lightly fried green tomatoes and fresh cabbage. My favorite tea is the the Kayoto Tea Rose. They also have cooking classes to educate how to make healthy meals by infuseing tea. They have a black bean soup that tastes like it has ham in it and it doesn't. Great for vegetarians. Enjoy!!

Reviewed 23 February 2013

If it hadn’t been for a Groupon offer last year I would never have discovered the Secret Tea Room in Greensboro, NC. But I did see the offer, and being something of a tea loving Anglophile I of course immediately purchased it, and then forgot all about it until I got an email telling me it was due to expire soon. I immediately jumped into action and called for reservations.

Like so many of the other reviewers I was told that they were extremely busy on this particular Saturday but could possibly fit my party of two in at 2:30 or 3:00 PM. When we presented ourselves at 2:30 the restaurant had at the most three tables filled (???) There were a few disconcerting minutes when our reservation could not be located (again, many open tables in the place) and it looked like we might be out of luck. Thankfully it was found and we were motioned towards a tiny two top table. We asked for a larger table since there were so many available and the waiter asked this woman who appeared to be the owner/manager if our request could be taken care of. As my husband said, “If looks could kill” over our request but we were taken to a larger four top.

We ordered the Queen’s Tea for two, which is what our Groupon was for. The waiter was friendly and helpful when it came to our tea selection and some questions we had on menu selections. I picked the Downton Abbey tea (of course) and we selected the Scottish Eggs, quiche and chicken salad sandwiches as our three electives.

The food was quite decent. Was it worth the regular price of $30.00 for two? A resounding NO! It was worth the price we paid for the Groupon, $16.00, or $8.00 a person. My biggest complaint of the entire experience was the above mentioned owner/manager, who was really a nasty sort of person. She berated and belittled one of her employees for leaving something on the counter and her exchange was loudly embarrassing for those in the restaurant. I am strongly of the opinion if there is a problem with an employee it should be handled off the floor of an establishment. Several other groups came in after us and she asked each one if they had a reservation even though the restaurant had plenty of tables available. She meandered around the restaurant at times interrupting people’s meals with mindless chatter. When we saw her at the table next to us we gulped down the rest of our tea and headed for the door.

I love a nice tea but probably won’t be back to the Secret Tea Room for one again.

3  Thank DearDona
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

My mother bought a groupon for this place for my birthday because I love tea and I actually know what the queens tea should be like. I've had it in London.

We had to make a reservation three weeks out because they said they were booked. When we got there at 1 on a Sunday afternoon we walked in the door to a burlesque show going on. Not what you would think of in a tea shop on a Sunday. They seated us immediately. There were no other reservations that day. They failed to inform us beforehand in any way of the show going on that day. It was so loud with the music they were playing they we had to lean across the able to talk.
They table was set with mismatched floral china and a fold creased tablecloth. I had one large spoon and a fork on my napkin. No tea spoon.

We ordered and got our tea with a winter hat covering the pot. Not what you would call nice. I asked for honey and got a sticky bear shaped squeeze bottle.

When the food came the three tiered queens tea platter had chocolate smeared on the side of the bottom plate. We didn't order anything chocolate. The top plate had a dime sized chip out of the side. The fresh fruit contained mandarin oranges from a can and an apple slice with the core still on. There were two of us but we only got one coconut maccroon. The clotted cream wasn't the best and the strawberry 'soup' served with it was below par.

Overall experience was not good. Waiter never came to check on us or ask if we wanted more hot water for our tea to seep more. Couldn't hear because of the show going on behind me.

Wouldn't recommend if you are looking for good food or service.

2  Thank Garrett2