“No Books”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“No Books”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I am always shocked at the lack of books in the Library system. My much smaller home town has many more options than here.

Visited October 2012

north carolina
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Great resource.”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I have always loved libraries. The downtown library is a great place to use the research materials. The librarians are very helpful when searching in the reference department. There is a lot of material on the different counties. There is also a very good microfilm selection of past newspapers. There are many local branches- which is where I generally go. If there is a boom at any other branch you can request it sent to your local branch for pickup.

Some of the drawbacks:

Main downtown library. Parking- generally one has to park in the parking deck near the library - not my favorite place to park. There is on street parking, but is usually taken.

It is very hard to find a free computer terminal. Although there is a limit of 60 minutes of use when demand is high. In the old location there was a Guilford Room, that had a HUGE amount of reference material for researchers in one place. In the new location it is spread out and some of it is in the basement storage , which has to be requested and then retrieved by a librarian.

Has a great children's room and good selection of books and videos for children.

I do like that I can make an interlibrary loan request and is usually fulfilled with 3-4 weeks. Interlibrary means books that are at libraries in other cities or states.

All in all the Greensboro library system is an excellent system to use. There are many local branches so a library is close to most of the population.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank ncsearch
Greensboro, NC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Superb resource”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I either check their monthly events flyer or their website and take my daughter for book readings, crafts, magic shows, movie screenings etc. They offer a lot of fun events for kids.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Pujagoks
Greensboro, North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Reader's Delight”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

My family recently starting frequenting the library and we love it. My young daughters are both avid readers and were very surprised at how many books there were that the schools don't have. Also the librarians were super helpful locating books that were not in the main branch, and even called and held them for us at another branch.
I have also used the library to find old newspaper and magazine articles for research and there are plenty of computers for use.
In the past, we have attended a poetry reading and book signing and visit the coffee shop occasionally.

I think this is a fine example of how today's library should be. I also learned the the Greensboro Historical Museum is an extension of the library and is free to the public.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Keta B
Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Large, empty library”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The building is large, airy, and well-lit. The staff are pleasant. But there are no books. Long shelves go on and on, and they're...empty. The oddest library I've ever been in. I got my library card when I moved to Greensboro two years ago, and I've yet to find one single book to check out. The volumes that they do have are ancient. Not much of a reference section, either. A real head-scratcher. Where are the books?

Visited November 2012