“Let Them Cook It, You Plate It”
Review of Stameys Barbecue

Stameys Barbecue
Ranked #148 of 916 Restaurants in Greensboro
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The excellent whole, barbecued shoulder that Stamey's offers, and the manner in which they pull the entire order together makes larger gatherings almost easy. My views have not changed on the other items they provide - the chopped (actually minced) barbecue, the red BBQ slaw, the BBQ Chicken, or their hot dog - much better stuff around.

For the third time in four months, we had a gathering of around 15 people ( 2 birthdays and a high school reunion), and for each we ordered a whole shoulder from Stamey's, and each time it has been exceptional. The cooked weight is in the 8 - 9 pound range, and the cost will be $60, plus or minus. A bottle of their mild, dipping sauce is included.

I get a small amount of their red slaw (some folks like it), 5 or 6 orders of hush puppies, and usually a bottle of their hotter sauce. The shoulder and the hush puppies are in foil containers, and will remain hot, with some gentle,oven nudging, for up to 3 or 4 hours with out losing any flavor. When you open the barbecue, it is best to strip off the top layer of skin and fat, and then just let folks pull their own pork.

We get the buns separately for those who go sandwich, and also make a more traditional Eastern NC white slaw, with a touch of mustard, and Eastern style boiled potatoes with a touch of red pepper sauce added. An array of additional barbecue sauces never hurts either - like Wilber's, Allen & Son (either location), and maybe some Texas Pete - Tabasco Sauce is not right for this kind of barbecue, imo.

Each order was correct in every detail, ready on time, and was extremely well received as to how good it tasted by all who shared it. Couldn't ask for better service or quality.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

It was a great place to eat with my family. The food was good. The staff was friendly. Only complaint we have is that there were 6 of us and there was not enough room for us to sit comfortably.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I ordered the sliced pull post and my wife had the chopped. The vinegar taste was completely overwhelming for both types of pork, as well as the slaw. I am aware that Eastern Style Q is vinegar based but there was enough vinegar sitting on my plate to clean my bathroom. Much of the meat and almost all of the slaw was left on our plates. As a Certified NC barbecue judge, I know what pork should taste like and this wasn't it. I will say the peach and blackberry cobbler was very good. This place better stop living off its reputation.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This could be a complaint against North Carolina bbq in general, more than this particular restaurant. There was just too much vinegar for this Kentuckian. My pulled pork plate had some kind of vinegar-based liquid (it's wasn't sauce) standing in the bottom of the plate partition. If you ate the pork off the top, away from this liquid, it was good. So the potential is there. I just couldn't finish the part at the bottom. Their version of slaw was way too different for my tastes as well. Hush puppies were rather dense. I prefer my hushpuppies to be light.

1  Thank dusty1196
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I'm a Greensboro native who used to be a regular at this location about 20 years ago. I arrived with no expectations of a specific taste, just a memory of good meals eaten here with friends. At 4 pm, the place was nearly deserted.

I ordered Brunswick stew and hush puppies, thinking I might follow that with some BBQ.

The Brunswick stew looked good, full of meat and not too many veggies. It tasted like someone put meat, vegetables and water in a big pot and cooked it all for hours. No flavor whatsoever. I dumped copious amounts of BBQ sauce into it just to make it edible. The hush puppies were the same...your basic corn meal, fried, I skipped the BBQ, fearing more of the same. I've had excellent BBQ lately, and I just wasn't up to getting my heart broken.

I let myself be tempted by the peach cobbler. which was the best part of the meal. The crust on that cobbler was hot and flaky, just divine. And the ice cream on top was just the right degree of softness to go with that big serving of cobbler.

Once the waitstaff figured out I was dining in, they were very nice and fairly competent.

I won't be going back.