“Sunday Brunch”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Sunday brunch, indeed any day brunch at Cafe Carolina is enjoyable. This popular venue has a varied menu and service is good. It is busy but there are lots of tables both inside and out. I enjoyed eating there on several ocassions - it's a good place for people watching too because it is used by a wide variety or ages.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Carolina & Bakery

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Cafe Carolina has something for everyone, with warm, family friendly classy atmosphere - a step up from fast food, with prices that follow. Soups, salads, sandwiches and flatbreads - weekends have quiche, french toast and other favorite brunch items - a place where many gather after church, and enjoy the company of others. The food is good, a step up from fast food, free internet, and free refills on Gold Peak teas (my husband's favorite)...along with yummy sweets, including Gooey Buttercake - a St. Louis regional favorite.....We visit a couple times a month and will continue.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I can't say anything bad about Cafe Carolina but I can't say anything good either. This was our first (and probably only) time there. I guess it's not a fair test because they mostly serve sandwiches, flatbreads, etc and we only had lattes and sweet rolls, but our visit didn't impress us much. Nothing awful.... just not worth repeating. Everything was just... okay. Our lattes were okay, but not hot enough. Our turnover (me) and chocolate croissant (my wife) were okay... but no better than if we had bought a box of them at a Harris Teeter grocery store. The place was clean -- it kind of looked like a Panera's. Except there wasn't much Bakery there. They had maybe a dozen items, mostly muffins. I saw some breads but they weren't really displayed and we couldn't tell if they were for sale or just for their sandwiches. This was no bakery menu board. The menu looked good. They had at least one vegetarian item in every category. All in all --- eh.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I've had eaten at this chain three times since moving to North Carolina. The first time my husband and I split their Chicken Fiesta Flatbread for a light lunch. It was good enough to make us come back a second time. That time, the cream cheese on my blueberry crunch bagel had a slight taste of onion and my husband's ham and cheese breakfast sandwich on sweet potato bread was just plain flat and soggy. The coffee didn't impress me either as it was weak. Still though we came back a third time since the menu really is quite good. Cafe Carolina just doesn't deliver the goods. The final visit made me laugh at their version of French onion soup. It came in a plastic bowl with a few croutons and sprinkles of cheese strewn over the top. At least the caesar salad that came with it was okay, but it would be pretty difficult to mess up a Caesar salad! Whatever variety of panini that my husbad had was dry and overly crusty and lacked flavor.

The third time was not a charm. There are plenty of other places to choose from that serve tastier food than this place.

JeriWB.com Teacher Writer Traveler

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I feel awful saying this, because I'm the first one to advocate and patronize local restaurants and merchants - I think it's incredibly important and just plain more fun to support local economy! However, my experience with Cafe Carolina was completely average.

It doesn't help that I love Panera Bread. I love basically their entire menu, all their baked goods are delicious and the atmosphere is casual and relaxing. I feel that Cafe Carolina is just trying to be Panera, and sadly fails. They have a similar menu, but not as extensive. The food and baked items just don't taste as good. The service is not as prompt (although very friendly). And the seating area looks like it's supposed to be quirky and cute, with grandma-looking pillows for back cushions in the booths, etc - but it just looks a little tired instead.

They do offer $1 off a pastry/baked item with a certain purchase, which I liked, and I've gotten one coupon via email when I signed up to be on their list before visiting.

Overall, I'm sad to say that if I want fast, delicious bakery items, salads or sandwiches, I will continue to choose Panera. I may pop back in to Cafe Carolina occasionally to see if anything's changed, because I would love to support them if I felt like I was getting a great product in a fun environment for a good price.

1  Thank princessbride029