“Comfort in Modern Surroundings” 4 of 5 bubbles

Proximity Hotel
Ranked #2 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
nc
“Comfort in Modern Surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed one night at Proximity Hotel last weekend for husband's 50th birthday. We live about 30 miles away and wanted to go to Print Works, the hotel's delicious bistro, so we decided to stay overnight as a special treat. When we arrived, the reception desk was unable to pull up our reservation. We had made it through hotels.com and had confirmation numbers but still they could not locate our reservation. The manager was very helpful and gave us a room at the same price I had from my hotels.com print out and even gave us an upgrade to a spa/king room with a wonderful very large soaking tub located on the top floor. Our room was spacious with one grand window, soft romantic lighting, and mini-fridge. The bed was comfortable and we heard no noise from anyone the entire night. I am a bargain hunter and still feel that $189/nt was too much for a hotel room in Greensboro, North Carolina. That being said, for a very special occasion it was nice. The bistro-style restaurant, is wonderful, though we had a friend who had been there the time before and his experience was not good. Regardless, our food was wonderful. The Boar sausage was divine. The Duck Sliders are great to share. The scallops were cooked perfectly. Service, as with the hotel was great. It is pricey but a great treat as is a stay at the hotel. Proximity is a solid 4-star property. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mommamiya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Loved the hotel. Get a top corner room if available. The view and windows are incredible. Make sure you get breakfast or brunch at the nice restaurant downstairs.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tony V, Service Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
The natural ambiant light of the corner rooms truly is incredible. Delighted you enjoyed it! I hope to see you share your anniversaries with us as well!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I am on the road approx 150 nights a year for many years. The Proximity in Greensboro is among the best hotels I have ever stayed in. So clean, so cool, so well decorated, such a fine dining and drinking experience. Fantastic service. Eco friendly.
A word of advice would be that you should dress hip and well. Just to blend in and feel comfortable. I could live here !

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow! Thank you for the compliment. Please let us know how we may be of serivce next time you are in Greensboro!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

My wife and I were looking for a quick getaway and a nice dinner and decided on the Proximity as it is a LEEDS certified property. Arrival was very nice, with a greeting by a cheerful valet and a friendly, efficient check in. Our room was lovely. Nice and warm on a cold gray day. The furnishings were of high quality and the bed linens were crisp, white and luxurious.

We went down to the lounge for drinks and once again,we were impressed by the decor. Muted tones and flowing draperies set a romantic and easy mood. The drinks were perfect and the service was outstanding. The lounge had a talented jazz trio which we enjoyed and after a few drinks it was time for a good nights's sleep in our terrific room.

The next morning we had breakfast in the restaurant and the food and service was again without flaw. However, when we made our way to the lobby to check out, it was as if someone had flipped a switch from "warm and hospitable" to "disinterested and inattentive."

The desk clerk was a bit cold, but given the quality of the rest of our visit, I wouldn't have even mentioned it if not for woefully inadequate valet performance.

We asked Andrew for our car and was assured it would be retrieved promptly. As it looked like he was taking someone to their room, we sat in the lovely lobby to wait for him to finish. When he returned to the lobby, we figured he would grab the keys and bring around our vehicle. After about 10 minutes of no car or sign of Andrew my wife went to the desk to see what the delay was and was told by Andrew that he did not know we needed our car. He then assured my wife it would only be moment. Unfortunately, that was not the case. This delay, however was caused by Andrew and the 2 desk agents chatting loudly behind the front desk. After the impromptu gathering behind the desk was finished, Andrew finally went to get our car. He wasn't finished disappointing us, though as he didn't pull our car into the porte cochere, but left it out in the pouring rain for us, handing us the key as he brushed past us on his way to get out of the cold.

Our memory of the Proximity should have been of the beautiful room, swanky lounge and professional service, but instead will be marred by a lackluster and borderline surly departure experience. I will not be recommending Proximity to any of my friends with standards.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tony V, Service Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
I sincerely apologize for our lack of a sense of urgency and followup upon your departure. Your last impression is as important as your first impression. I am sorry we did not leave you with a good one.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is only when we learn about our mistakes that we can learn from them. We will make sure this exerience it not repeated!
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

The entrance to the hotel looks like the era of the "Great Gatsby"! Billowing white curtains flying, parking attendants smiling and helpfull, a British Taxicab that I din't have the opportunity to utilize for transportation, but I will on the next trip. The bell staff were ready to help with a genuine, we can attitude and here is a cold bottle of water. Our room #804 offered a beautiful view of the gardens. The architecture of the building along with the green motto is excellent. Our room was massive, great bathroom with robes and slippers. Oh, before I forget, they have this great honor system on the gathering area by the computers for snacks and drinks. Really! There's a box where you put in your money. I knew it all along there is a place where beauty, honesty and ecology can reside together in harmony. Great workout area, no steam room though.Outdoor pool, long enough to swim short laps. The front desk staff were fantastic!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Denise A
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Upon pulling up to the hotel you may feel as if you are suddenly in New York, Miami, or LA, certainly not Greensboro, NC. The crisp white curtains draping the drive way, the grey warehouse-like facade, and modern decor inside hide an utterly charming and friendly experience inside. The staff is always welcoming, and who wouldn't find the "honor system" vending irresistable?!!
Now I stay in a lot of hotels. My diamond status at Hilton was not acheived by accident. I hardly ever sleep well in them though. That is not the case at the Proximity (or the O Henry for that matter). The bedding is phenomenal -- something about the coverlet and pillows is just right.
The final mark of a great hotel in my mind is the bathroom. The bathroom MUST have soft towels and always warm water. It helps if the toiletries are so great I plot ways to take more than my share home. Promixity hits the spot on all counts PLUS they have these awesome waffle weave robes. I cannot tell you how much I love arriving at a hotel after a long day, having a hot shower, ordering room service, and snuggling in a robe before dozing off in an insanely comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Get a corner room if possible - great views!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

I scheduled a surprise birthday booking at the beautifully designed Proximity hotel. I really admire the green initiatives and the front desk staff was friendly! The Loft King Spa Room I booked was quite attractive, as I asked to get a tour of it beforehand.

Early on the check-in day, the staff allowed me to bring balloons that they agreed to set up in the room before check-in. I also asked for a DVD player to be placed in the room and to set an ambiance with turning on a few lights, again before check-in.

Unfortunately upon check-in at the hotel designated time, the balloons were not placed in the room. It was also dark in the room and the DVD player was not there either.

Needless to say, instructions were not followed at all and I was terribly frustrated. I expected top-notch service from a hotel of this calibur and they failed.

Therefore, we had to wait in the lobby while the staff setup the room. It was smart that I checked the room first, otherwise it would have been a real embarrassment as a birthday surprise.

Although they got a staffer to setup quickly, the DVD placed in the room was very dusty and not neatly positioned next to the TV. (I can only assume the DVD player had been stored and unused for awhile.) Also, the lights still were not turned on in advance. This proved to be a sloppy and incomplete setup. Nevertheless, we made the best of the stay.

Advice: If you need items setup in a Proximity room before check-in, view the room yourself first after the picking up the key to make sure items are present.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TDeals
Tony V, Service Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
I am so sorry we did not keep our promise to you regarding the room setup. For such a special occasion you certainly deserved better execution! I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We will make sure it doesn't get repeated.