“Modern hotel in Greensboro”
Review of Proximity Hotel

Proximity Hotel
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very modern, perhaps too much so for my taste. But the staff is wonderful! My two biggest complaints are: (1) operating the TV/cable system is not easy (and I travel often and am used to operating different systems), and (2) when paying $200+ a night, guest should be provided real coffee creamer, not powdered fake stuff.

• Stayed: January 2014
Jennifer_Sandelli, Reservations Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

We’re glad to hear that our staff was a highlight of your stay with us. We pride ourselves in having a staff that provides prompt and friendly service to our valued guests. It is great to hear they delivered!

We also thank you for your very helpful feedback. We are especially disappointed about the creamer, as we do make it a point to provide that for each guest. We’ll be following up with our housekeeping team to see why your mini-cooler did not have the complimentary liquid creamer.

Next time your travels bring you to the Greensboro area, you may wish to look at our sister hotel, the O.Henry Hotel, which has more of a classic feel to its design. We bet you'll love it!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I only spent one night but thought the large room and huge bathroom were fantastic! Loved the layout. Late check-in but the staff was very helpful and the room was cozy and warm even with all the windows and bitter cold outside. Wish we could have stayed longer…. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Room Tip: High floor was great for view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jennifer_Sandelli, Reservations Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

We’re glad that you found shelter from this winter weather in one of our spacious Loft-style rooms! We have several different room designs, so each new stay brings an opportunity to experience the same amenities in a different layout. All of our rooms have the double vanity in the bathroom, so you’ll always have plenty of space, no matter which room style you choose.

We hope that your travels bring you and your husband back to the Proximity soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I'm writing this review on behalf of my parents. They spent their 36th wedding anniversary at the Proximity, just a one night getaway. After check-in my mother text messaged me saying that everything was beautiful and better than she had imagined. They stayed on the top floor in a King spa room, great views of Greensboro. They ate at the Print Works Bistro for a late lunch and she commented how all the ingredients were extremely fresh and everything was all-natural.(The burgers were delicious) The property was really nice and everyone was extremely hospitable throughout the hotel. I had dessert, a card and a bouquet of flowers delivered to the room as a surprise. I had a friend deliver it and the staff set it up in the room for a small fee. They were pleasantly surprised once they returned to their room. The room,decor and shower were lovely, but they didn't get a chance to use to tub. There were nice robes in the room, a business center right outside their door that was accessible to all during there stay. Complimentary wifi was also a hit because upscale places typically charge astronomical fees for access. They pre-ordered breakfast the night before departure and it was delivered to the room at exactly the requested time (7:15), they enjoyed it but it was rather pricey for a standard breakfast. Based on their stay I definitely look forward to staying at The Proximity in the future.

1  Thank SherriaF
Jennifer_Sandelli, Reservations Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Happy anniversary to your parents! It’s extremely flattering that they chose to celebrate this milestone with us. We’re happy to hear that they experienced a great deal of what our hotel and restaurant have to offer. Print Works Bistro provides an excellent addition to any overnight stay, especially when breakfast in bed arrives promptly outside your door in the morning! We are sad to hear that they didn't get a chance to enjoy that large soaking tub in the Loft King Spa room, but that just means they’ll have to come stay with us again!

Cheers!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for New Years. Very nice. Very clean. However, it didn't really live up to my expectations. Perhaps my expectations were too high. There was nothing inherently wrong. The desk staff and the doormen were all very nice and friendly. We had a room on the top floor. It was big. The furnishings were nice. We were there with friends and there was plenty of room for all 6 of us to sit comfortably.
I suppose the problem for me was in the details. In my mind I felt like a hotel of this caliber there should have been more attention to detail. Again, my expectations may have been set too high. We are perfectly happy when we stay at 3 or 4 star hotels. You realize going in that a Holiday Inn is only going to offer so much. The Proximity is far from a Holiday Inn but there were no elegant surprises.
We also had reservations at the Bistro. Because it was new years eve they were very busy. We had a party of about 12. They had to sit us at 2 tables. Our reservation was at 9:30. Half of our party was seated at 10:30. The other half maybe 30 minutes later. I am sure the restaurant had their hands full. But, a high end place like this should have been expecting this and been better prepared. Our food was OK. It was good but not great. Our service was a little slow. We were served our desert just before midnight. Because of all of the delays we celebrated the new year at our table instead of the bar where all of the action was.
I hate to leave such a down sounding review of this hotel. I don't want to give the wrong impression. For the money this is a very nice place. I guess I expected more.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your helpful feedback. I've shared your experience with the Print Works Bistro team and they are digging in to exactly what happened. Please let me know of your next visit to the area. I'd love to make sure your next stay at the Proximity (or our sister hotel the O.Henry) exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I were looking for a romantic getaway nearby. The Proximity was perfect. They were running a special for the New Years which made it more of an attraction. The privacy was perfect. The staff was super friendly. The rooms were gorgous.

Room Tip: Look at the specials they offer.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heather w
Jennifer_Sandelli, Reservations Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

We’re so glad that you chose to ring in 2014 with us! The Proximity’s packages are a wonderful addition to any special occasion. Our romantic packages are especially great for that spur-of-the-moment getaway. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Thanks to my hosts for this business trip, I was recommended the Proximity for a (very) short trip that included one night in Greensboro. Can't say much about the location, but the hotel itself is sticking. From a distance, this Platinum LEED monolith comes to life upon entering the lobby, Throughout the building, the use of raw concrete and other materials is great. All staff interactions were courteous and efficient.
Corner room was well designed and spacious enough but it might have been tight for two occupants after a couple of days. Very clean and well maintained.Bed was very comfortable.
Something never seen in a hotel: the honor system for juice/soda, Impressive.
Also, the purified water system on each floor is an example to follow.
I had a lunch and breakfast at the hotel. Food was good and service exemplary.
Added perk I wish I had known coming in: the free shuttle service to/from the airport. The hotel uses an English cab. Very distinctive.
A little pricey but I would not even consider looking elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are certainly brighter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Jennifer_Sandelli, Reservations Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our special touches in the guest living room areas, specifically the water filters and the honor bar.

Please let us know the next time that you’re coming into town! Our transportation service to and from the Greensboro Airport is a convenient way to get back and forth during your stay. We actually use your airline information to track your flight as it lands at PTI, so that we can have a driver at the airport upon your arrival.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Proximity is unique in many ways. From the outside it looks like an office building...and you couldn't be blamed for wondering if it was an insurance office. But pull around front, and you will see dramatic white curtains guarding the entrance portal. Make a turn through the huge revolving doors and you will find respectful friendly staff who seem to make it their day's goal to make you feel cared for and important. The rooms follow the same theme. The colors are black, neutral, and marble. Beautiful and understated with a huge mirror reflecting you as the most essential addition to the room. Do yourself a favor and experience this most unexpected portion of Greensboro. As long as your spending the cash--the Proximity isn't cheap--go downstairs and enjoy the restaurant. It's an equal to the quality you will quickly expect from the Proximity. Biggest hits? Perfectly clean. Perfect staff all around. Unique understated rooms that don't short you on comfort.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

We love that our unique design captured your attention! When Proximity was still in the “idea phase”, we were actually looking to restore a former warehouse. When we couldn't find one that fit our plan, we decided to build our own as a nod to Greensboro’s rich textile history!

We’re glad that you were able to experience Print Works Bistro. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, it’s always available for you to grab a bite to eat of the delicious French-based cuisine. As if it couldn't get any better, the menu changes seasonally, so there’s always an opportunity to try a new dish!

-Jennifer